Supposed "Crisis at Manly" Megathread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
XV-1 said:
I believe it will be very difficult for Manly to keep Choc, Matai, Snake, DCE and Foz based on what they are worth.
One or two need to go if none of them are prepared to take slightly lower salaries than the market- but still very good thou.

Foran and Snake are the two we cannot afford to lose. Snake leads the NRL for try assists, and Foran is a future captain of the club. DCE is a great footballer, but he is a media darling and not worth 1mil a year. Matai and Choc are fantastic, but both will be 30+ next year and commanding new contracts.

I really think Foran is priority 1, and Snake heads the list of the old brigade, because he is points! If it happens to be that we can only keep one of our halves, then it has to be Foran. He is the best young player in the game, and a genuine leader. We could get by on a no frills organiser with a decent kicking game if they play inside Foran, but DCE on his own lacks the competitiveness of Foran, who is very much in the Jamie Lyon mould. Hopefully we can keep both...

Shoe1 said:
Max: "you can't escape now, Craw"
The Claw: "I'm not Craw, it's Craw!"

Siegfreid: "You know, you're the only human being I know who snores when he's awake."

Snake said:
XV-1 said:
I believe it will be very difficult for Manly to keep Choc, Matai, Snake, DCE and Foz based on what they are worth.
One or two need to go if none of them are prepared to take slightly lower salaries than the market- but still very good thou.

Foran and Snake are the two we cannot afford to lose. Snake leads the NRL for try assists, and Foran is a future captain of the club. DCE is a great footballer, but he is a media darling and not worth 1mil a year. Matai and Choc are fantastic, but both will be 30+ next year and commanding new contracts.

I really think Foran is priority 1, and Snake heads the list of the old brigade, because he is points! If it happens to be that we can only keep one of our halves, then it has to be Foran. He is the best young player in the game, and a genuine leader. We could get by on a no frills organiser with a decent kicking game if they play inside Foran, but DCE on his own lacks the competitiveness of Foran, who is very much in the Jamie Lyon mould. Hopefully we can keep both...

Yep.
Foz can play centre, 5/8, halfback, lock, hooker ( and when he's old and fat front-row.)
Snake, there is only one Snake. While he's fit and firing we could have Luke Dorn and Jason Ferris as our halves and he'd still make us competitive.

XV-1 said:
I think they should grant Matai a release if a true 4 year deal is on the table from the Warriors -
Such an offer would be illegal and an inducement to break a current contract. Which is why the Warriors are suddenly (and at last) making noises about not wanting Matai, and why Hasler said tonight he couldn't chase Snake.

Obviously such inducements are being bandied about 'informally', but now it is in the media spotlight clubs are being forced to say 'oh noo, not us, we didn't really do that'.

Snake said:
XV-1 said:

Sorry, but I totally disagree.

DCE IS our number 1 priority. I don't even wanna think of the possibility of losing him. I'll say it again; it's not unfair for the kid the expect a million a year from us.

Have we all forgotten the good fight that all of us wanted to have earlier this year? Many of us were calling for 100% salary cap discounts for any 10 year one club player paid above 500K per year.

We are the most successful club over the last 10 years. Our players have stuck together rather than chase the big dollar. Those are the players the NRL should be looking after by allowing them to financially benefit AND retire from playing at their long serving club.

Thats why I think the big 3 are frustrated. I can forgive them for that even though our club has a proud history of keeping our dirty laundry in-house.

I think our clubs administrators and coaching staff are doing a terrific job. I do think though, that they shouldn't give up the fight on asking for immediate salary cap relief for our long serving players. It would be repeat madness if all 3 did not retire at Manly. Even better, maybe there is still hope that a counter-offer for G Stewart to stay, with immediate salary cap relief, is still a remote possibility?

Anthony Watmough 32 next season...
Glenn Stewart 31...
Brett Stewart 30...
Steve Matai 30...

Those are the key facts - they're raging against the dying of the light. These fellas aren't protecting some special club culture, they're protecting their clique culture, and acting like a bunch of sooks. The club culture is that the club was here in 1947 and it will be here 50 years down the track - there've been some legends and loyal players in that time (and some less so) but the club is the continuity. These guys need to stop undermining the organisation for their own personal agenda, and either stay or go. But do me a favour and don't pretend you're the unique holders of this club's spirit and it'll all crumble when you've gone. It won't. It might crumble for a couple of years, but not just because you lads go, but because that's how sport is and organisations peak and trough. But with resilience, continuity and loyalty the good clubs always fight back to the top.

Finally, let's address this whole "we took pay cuts to stay together, woe is me..." schtick. Please, when was that exactly? Get the collection box out, I'll chip in. Deferring your contract to take a bigger back end (Glenn, 2014 season and Anthony, 2015 season apparently) isn't taking a pay cut. All this cr*p that DCE or Foran are somehow taking money that could otherwise have retained Gifty is rubbish. If DCE goes (and he still might) we'll probably need that $1m/season to get a world class halfback... so either way it isn't there for a 31 year old edge forward - legend or otherwise.

Bottom line: Make your decisions, as is your right, but stop dragging the club through the mud in the media via that Just For Men hair coloured dipstick with a napoleon complex.

the mauler said:
bob dylan said:
No you guys are all wrong.

Matthew Johns knows the players very well and the big 3 are leaving. Warriors, Eels and Dogs according to Mr Fidelity.

If Matty Johns said that, I'm super confident we will keep all of them. His strikerate is abysmal. He said that Bennett was going to the Gold Coast the other day.... Lol

Well it's kinda true. It's just that he's not stopping. He's driving straight through to Donkeyland.

Hull Kingston Sea Eagle said:
Anthony Watmough 32 next season...
Glenn Stewart 31...
Brett Stewart 30...
Steve Matai 30...

Those are the key facts - they're raging against the dying of the light. These fellas aren't protecting some special club culture, they're protecting their clique culture, and acting like a bunch of sooks. The club culture is that the club was here in 1947 and it will be here 50 years down the track - there've been some legends and loyal players in that time (and some less so) but the club is the continuity. These guys need to stop undermining the organisation for their own personal agenda, and either stay or go. But do me a favour and don't pretend you're the unique holders of this club's spirit and it'll all crumble when you've gone. It won't. It might crumble for a couple of years, but not just because you lads go, but because that's how sport is and organisations peak and trough. But with resilience, continuity and loyalty the good clubs always fight back to the top.

Finally, let's address this whole "we took pay cuts to stay together, woe is me..." schtick. Please, when was that exactly? Get the collection box out, I'll chip in. Deferring your contract to take a bigger back end (Glenn, 2014 season and Anthony, 2015 season apparently) isn't taking a pay cut. All this cr*p that DCE or Foran are somehow taking money that could otherwise have retained Gifty is rubbish. If DCE goes (and he still might) we'll probably need that $1m/season to get a world class halfback... so either way it isn't there for a 31 year old edge forward - legend or otherwise.

Bottom line: Make your decisions, as is your right, but stop dragging the club through the mud in the media via that Just For Men hair coloured dipstick with a napoleon complex.

To be perfectly honest I find it hard to argue with this.

The thing that gets me though is that they are all dirty on the club letting Gifty go, yet if they leave they are a million to one to end up together at the same club. Gifty will be at Souffs, that's a given unless he decides to retire at the end of this year, which I can't see happening. If Matai goes he'll be at the Warriors, Choc would probably end up at Parramatta and Snake would likely end up either playing for Des again or (and probably less likely) he might end up at St Merge.

Either way, the way things stand the only one who is going anywhere is Gifty. The club isn't likely to release the other three.

XV-1 said:
I think they should grant Matai a release if a true 4 year deal is on the table from the Warriors - Manly certainly will not offer Matai another 3 years after next year.

Matai has given Manly great service for many years and continues to do so but I have trouble with Manly releasing him early for this reason...........

Let's turn this around......

3 years ago Manly offered Steve Matai a two year extension on his existing contract taking it to the end of 2015. What if Manly had said to Matai back then...how about we offer you a 1 year extension with an option to extend a further year at the club's discretion. Matai would have been insulted and told them to shove it!

Now it is suggested Manly should effectively change this contract to say Matai should have a 1 year extension (to the end of 2014) with an option to extend a further year at Matai's discretion (giving him an option to walk away).

To be honest I think Steve's situation is the least of our problems as I think he is a player who will fulfill his contractual obligations.

Again I'll hit and run and simply say, Matai's case is unique; and if we win the comp, and he still has such a massive deal for 4 seasons, let him go home (and set himself and family up as well as possible).

Choc and Snake are different situations.

But any player genuinely unable or unwilling to give 100% to Manly, I'd seriously consider the request .

I'm not convinced of it yet anyway, as Skivy is the only one to clearly state that as his case.

You guys look on track to turn this into a mega-supa-thread though as it could be months before it's all resolved!

Lol. As you were. Worry away.

RiverEagle said:
Again I'll hit and run and simply say, Matai's case is unique; and if we win the comp, and he still has such a massive deal for 4 seasons, let him go home (and set himself and family up as well as possible).

Good point but I wouldn't like to be in the room when they tell Choc and Snake that that they are only releasing Matai early as his situation is unique:rolleyes:

EaglesDontTweet said:
RiverEagle said:

Good point but I wouldn't like to be in the room when they tell Choc and Snake that that they are only releasing Matai early as his situation is unique:rolleyes:

Well fortunately we won't be there mate.

And if their mateship is as strong as we believe, they won't be dirty on Skivy for a start.

AND again you're assuming point blank that Choc and Snake seriously want out.

I'm not convinced of that.

And it's not affecting the team on the field.

That's the bottom-line for me.

RiverEagle said:
EaglesDontTweet said:
RiverEagle said:

Well fortunately we won't be there mate.

And if their mateship is as strong as we believe, they won't be dirty on Skivy for a start.

AND again you're assuming point blank that Choc and Snake seriously want out.

I'm not convinced of that.

And it's not affecting the team on the field.

That's the bottom-line for me.

I'm not assuming Choc and Snake seriously want out, I took your comment "Choc and Snake are different situations" as you assuming Choc and Snake wanting out. My mistake RE as you did say later in the post that you were not convinced of it yet anyway.

It appears Skivvy will probably sign an extension (the papers wouldn't write a positive story if it wasn't half true) and I really hope you are on the money with Choc and Snake staying.

A chance a lot of this is players posturing before signing new contracts as we have seen every second year (with extra press coverage this time because Manly are 'above' the radar).

RiverEagle said:

But any player genuinely unable or unwilling to give 100% to Manly, I'd seriously consider the request .

I'm not convinced of it yet anyway, as Skivy is the only one to clearly state that as his case.

You guys look on track to turn this into a mega-supa-thread though as it could be months before it's all resolved!

Lol. As you were. Worry away.

Ridiculous.
When a player is under contract, we should NOT let go if he's still of great value.

What kind of a business are we running if we let a good player go to the opposition?? A very bad business.

What example and precedence are we setting for the rest of the players?

As soon as a player gets a better deal, they can jump for it??

If we are serious Manly fans, what kind of fans would want to weaken Manly to help the opposition??

If we open the gates, there will be a flood. When that happens, we won't get near a GF for the next 5 years, at least.

They will play 100% because no player wants to make themselves look bad on the field and lose. These are professional athletes and they won't want to let their team mates down.

I reiterate - NO breaking contracts for these top players. Choc already said it's a business. We won't want to disappoint Choc by running a bad business and letting Skivy leave early. No way!

Set him up for life?? It's not like these players are poor.
You should compare my bank account to his.
I don't earn anywhere near what the "lower" monies he's on with Manly.

Chip and Chase said:

Where to start with this article? In my opinion, there is not a shred of journalistic integrity in it. It is nothing but a thinly veiled smear against one faction of the board, and us fans as well, by another faction. It really reflects poorly on the credibility of its author.
First off, Richie uses the term "salary sacrifice" to describe accepting a reduced salary for personal reasons. Salary sacrifice us where you accept benefits (eg a fully maintained car) in lieu of salary to reduce your tax burden. Very poor journalism there to start with.
Next " the players are understood to be.....". Richie, if you know they are upset, come out and say they are. Don't cover your a$&e with that weasel phrase.
And where have club officials come out and referred to them being greedy? As far as I have seen, the club has been nothing but professional in its approach to this. And to be honest, the players in question haven't been over the top in anything they've done or said either. It's all been played out in the media so far.
And does he really think that players have not been able to afford real estate on the money they have been paid? Or does he expect us to believe that? What a bewildering comment.
He talks about how them staying with the club has meant they have made four GFs in seven years. Well, yes. And I'm damn sure that that has been a reward in itself. What sort of monetary value do you put on that?
He refers to the source close to the club (who is fanning these flames). Not hard to guess who that is. And if it's who I think it is, well, he might be close to a few players, but he is on the outer with the people that matter. This is why he is happy to be said source .
And what about the comment about fans turning on them. Generally, I don't think we have. I for one am grateful for the years of service they have given the club and the great ride they have given me as a fan. But it's hard not to be disappointed with the way this is being portrayed as panning out.
If they do leave, they'll go with my best wishes and thanks. But to say I'm not disappointed would be wrong. Does that mean I have turned on the players? Absolutely not. As long as they give their all this year with the intent of sending Gift, and anyone else who might end up leaving, out as GF winners, then that is all I can ask. The future will take care if itself.
Blow-ins on the board? I'm not sure whom this is referring to. But if the club is bringing in board members with expertise and savvy at the expense of the " sausage roll eaters " as Jack Gibson used to call them, them that is a good thing that will help ensure the longevity and growth of this great club.
And while the player unrest may be real, this article shouldn't be given consideration as anything but fluff journalism based on speculation and comments from disgruntled insiders.

niccipops said:
globaleagle said:
Are there still reports of a crisis going on?

Yawning-Yellow.gif
I prefer the fish and I'd like to request another vid of a seriously weird animal.
Please.:)
To remain on the thread topic the animal could be; disgruntled, discontent, trying to get out of something or upset that his friend is leaving.;)

The name of the first 'fish' is "sarcastic fringehead! (true) It's territorial and will wrestle you with it's 'kiss'. So it kinda fits!

ffa8677f3f22aa2ee14553973854a6dc.gif

Oh @globaleagle

Told you I didn't want to dive into these threads! (Once you're in, very hard to swim out).

However @Ramrod a good business-model incorporates human resource management. Including compassionate grounds for employees.

Just as every player's contract is unique, so too should be their exit plan, or potential exit plan.

To think that if Skivy, for example, being released a year early to take up a 4mill-deal, would see mass exodus is alarmist and naive.

And you Ramrod were the one saying last week that Matai wasn't all that valuable (,to Manly) and should get to 200 games before throwing his market-value weight around, where you not?

Now he's invaluable and pivotal to Manly's business and ethical profile. Or just to suit your argument this week, more precisely.

His age and our plans beyond 2015 would not see us offering him millions for 3 years. If that sort of offer is available to him now, when it may not be after next year (if he stays) we should consider letting him go home, on compassionate grounds.

That enhances both our business-profile and moral or ethical blueprint too.

And whether he leaves soon or in a year, he will leave, or retire (just like Beaver for example). And then we have to replace him like we do with every aging player.

Oh, and what you, I or the Prime Minister earns is irrelevant. Sporting stars are paid relative to what their industry or field can pay; same as every occupation or profession.

And again, the bottom line for me is Skivy has earned the right to be at least heard out on this release-issue.

He is a legend. (We told Beaver no, not one more year. We didn't even offer Gift another year either). This time it's Skivy saying no, not one more year please , from his side of the table.

And don't forget the money we'd save can go on other, younger players; even towards re-signing Chez if they choose.

Best part of the daily beat up...players have not sacrificed money they have back ended it I.e they are still going to recieve the money, but as Ritchie puts it, missed the chance to invest in real estate

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8