The clean out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I agree that we don’t need to get into a bidding war but the option for next year is in our favour so if we take it up, he would be contracted and to leave and go elsewhere for more money would require him to seek a release which would need to be agreed to by Manly.

at 250k he is an absolute steal given what he is currently offering. We don’t need him to be extraordinary for that price, we just need him to keep doing what he is doing which is taking pressure off Chez and giving the side leadership and direction. Sure he is not Jerome Luai but he is a third of the price and that means we can afford to have guys like Tom on good coin...he is much better than Dylan Edwards so it all balances out in the end.
100% agree... you are not going to replace him for 250K unless you have a promising kid in your ranks already... I was unaware about the option...

We have solid defending centres at present but need really need good defenders with x factor in attack to be a top 4 side. This weekend will be the litmus test for our centres up against a very sharp Panthers backline.

Guess that the club is looking at guys like Siro and Walker in particular who are probably on about 400 k each and taking into account both their contract value benefit and injury prone tendencies . Walker does have that utility factor apart from the fact that he could still be a quite capable strike centre but again on the proviso that he seems less injury prone and some reduction in contract value . Then the not unlikely prospect that some other clubs do show an interest in him . No doubt same with Siro but also on less money . Really hope that foz can stay competitive and avoid major injury this year and next , not sure that Weekes is ready for halves promotion , Schuster may have found his home in the second row and again that maybe just leaves Walker as a pivot option . Only recall Nicko Hynes playing either full back or as a 6 but not as a centre . No doubt at least a couple of players will not be re signed and a priority again really should be trying to hang onto the talent already emerging through the grades .

People complaing about Fainu know he was already contracted this year?

We just extended him for the next two years at a reported 300k less a season then he could have got elsewhere.

Forget his brothers this is just clever business as there is zero risk to us. If he gets off we have a quality player cheap and if he is convicted he gets terminated with no payout.

People complaing about Fainu know he was already contracted this year?

We just extended him for the next two years at a reported 300k less a season then he could have got elsewhere.

Forget his brothers this is just clever business as there is zero risk to us. If he gets off we have a quality player cheap and if he is convicted he gets terminated with no payout.
C'mon @Disco... it's Manly we are talking about here...

the NRL will say we knew the risk when we re-signed the player and take the $$$$$ out of the cap and make us play with a 29-player squad for each of the 2 years....

C'mon @Disco... it's Manly we are talking about here...

the NRL will say we knew the risk when we re-signed the player and take the $$$$$ out of the cap and make us play with a 29-player squad for each of the 2 years....

Ha love a good conspiracy but NRL contracts are pretty cut and dry around terminations and criminal convictions

Clean out Perspective...

Players bring Glory to their Club by being competent enough to be able to compete
in the finals

The moral of the story ..
No Glory No Contact with the Might Sea eagles !

Ha love a good conspiracy but NRL contracts are pretty cut and dry around terminations and criminal convictions
I am not so convinced of impartial decision-making after the Matai / Stewart vs Watmough / Inglis medical retirements...

I am not so convinced of impartial decision-making after the Matai / Stewart vs Watmough / Inglis medical retirements...
It was reported that manly never approached the NRL about matai and snake and medical retirement. Manly would have had to pay them and there replacements and i dont think that is the type of club we are at times. I am not 100% sure but i think that one is on the penns and not greenberg

It was reported that manly never approached the NRL about matai and snake and medical retirement. Manly would have had to pay them and there replacements and i dont think that is the type of club we are at times. I am not 100% sure but i think that one is on the penns and not greenberg
That is the first time I have heard that James...

Trent Robinson from the Roosters made the finals last year

and he sacked his half back . Tore up his contract and payed him out and cleaned him out

Because he could see that his halfback was a liability to his teams aspirations to win the big one , The game that matters most and brings Glory to a club

In weeks ahead we will see the players that have the ability to secure a contract
and the players that are liability for us to maintain our Legendary statues of being the Greatest club of all

The moral of the story
We become a product of our environment
It is imperative that we surround our selves with nothing but he Best .

Not a shot at you @Shane4500 but I have heard this idea used to justify the call a few times and I personally am not convinced...

If another club waives money at these kids I just dont see them thinking "I have to stay for less because my brother got looked after by Manly"

Imo it will all depend on their personal situation at that time...
  • are they playing FG and are they being offered a FG spot
  • how much extra will they make
  • does the other club offer a better life/footy balance?

I know when I was 17-20 I was not making decisions based on what my brother thought...
no problems - I just have a different view. Nothing about paying them less, never mentioned that - my belief is that it was showing that Manly care about the family and hopefully in return the family will stick solid with the club. Now the Hopoate's are the classic example of where that didn't happen and it might not happen here either. But I am guessing the "extension" was a multi reasoned decision and I think that was a small part of it.

I don’t know that we will ever get to the bottom of what went on with those club legends. For the life of me, I don’t understand why they weren’t utilised in an off-field capacity in 2017 since they were still being paid and were such an intrinsic part of the club’s culture.

Trent Robinson from the Roosters made the finals last year

and he sacked his half back . Tore up his contract and payed him out and cleaned him out

Because he could see that his halfback was a liability to his teams aspirations to win the big one , The game that matters most and brings Glory to a club

In weeks ahead we will see the players that have the ability to secure a contract
and the players that are liability for us to maintain our Legendary statues of being the Greatest club of all

The moral of the story
We become a product of our environment
It is imperative that we surround our selves with nothing but he Best .

He had another 2 halves already in the ranks - Lam & Walker.

I don’t know that we will ever get to the bottom of what went on with those club legends. For the life of me, I don’t understand why they weren’t utilised in an off-field capacity in 2017 since they were still being paid and were such an intrinsic part of the club’s culture.
Again dont quote me but i thought these guys were pissed big time particularly brett about the contract dramas with glen stewie and dce. Matai had been refused releases for big coin and a core group that had included choc and stewies apparently took less coinn to stay together, but then reportedly by choc and news DcE wanted a contract upgrade mid contract and told the team he would sit out if he didnt get it

The money went to DCE and the kitty was dry for glen .he played his last season at souths and was not a one club man. In the end i suppose the club decided they would be better away from the team because of the culture . Snake was a champion but even his last season you could see he didnt have his heart in it at all and there was talk of 2 camps between the youngens and the oldies

I know none of it to be fact, just relaying what was reported and by who ( watmough) . If true i hate how our army of 1 is represented on here as going to parra for greedy money when his pay sacrifices left us all happy. I think also des had promised each one a payday at the end and that didnt eventuate which is why choc was so disgruntled

Speaking of money, was super happy to hear recently on good authority big Guoc turned down a considerably bigger contract offer from Eels to remain a Seaeagle....very good considering was not getting a look in, yet chose to back his ability and more importantly, the loyalty to Manly.

Used to hear once that money was root of all evil . Really not sure there but probably some synergy between people , money and root , just not sure in what order .

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8