• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
As I said Hunt is not the best half in the world... Hunt however will give his all every week - we need about a dozen Ben Hunt's to replace the plodders and frauds we have in the side.
Again can't argue with that point. He has a big ticker and puts in at a very ordinary side.

Again can't argue with that point. He has a big ticker and puts in at a very ordinary side.
Yes sorry and that is the exact type of player we need here - not Hunt himself although that would be great but we need a heap of that blue collar give it all type player. We have a highly skilled team when we have no injuries. We have a top 4 side with our best team on the field. But what we lack badly is more blue collar players - we are missing at least 3/4 in my view.

Yep exactly - Turbo and Jake have it - Croker has it in spades, Davey has it in spades... yet we get rid of him. Walker to me also has it - he wants to have a go - he wants to win... but we get rid of him as well. Parker has it in spades... but apparently he is going as well. It is a complete joke....yet we keep Keppie, Sipley, Burbo etc. DCE will never ever put the side on his shoulders week in and week out and lift us to victory just through his sheer will. Foran can do that and again we want to get rid of him... Hunt does it every weekend. Mind you sometimes Hunt stuffs up... but you know he will lead from the front and he will have an absolute crack week in and week out... it doesn't matter to him how the rest are playing - he is going to have a go. DCE needs his forwards to be on top and if they are losing the battle - he is lost. We simply don't have enough heart and soul players who have a red hot crack every week. That is the type of player we need at Manly... look at the Cowboys - loads of blue collar players across the park. Not flashy but they want to play - they want to win and they will do what it takes. They will do the one percenters. We have very very few of that type of player.
Personally not every player needs to be a Ben Hunt in my opinion.
A team is just that. Built around the attributes of the players you have.
Many a successful side had many types of players. Look at 2006 - 2010. If I recall and it may be a dodgy memory but Matty Orford had some pretty ordinary runs of form but when it mattered he was able to shine because his team allowed him to.
Obviously his rep is a bit tainted but whatmough was probably one of the most important in that side for his mongral. Him and Matai were the grimnreapers that got down and dirty. Thats the one thing we are missing at the moment.

Personally not every player needs to be a Ben Hunt in my opinion.
A team is just that. Built around the attributes of the players you have.
Many a successful side had many types of players. Look at 2006 - 2010. If I recall and it may be a dodgy memory but Matty Orford had some pretty ordinary runs of form but when it mattered he was able to shine because his team allowed him to.
Obviously his rep is a bit tainted but whatmough was probably one of the most important in that side for his mongral. Him and Matai were the grimnreapers that got down and dirty. Thats the one thing we are missing at the moment.
Oh we certainly need a couple of old fashioned mongrels but we also really need some blue collars. Agreed Orford could be sketchy but again my memory of him was he was always willing to have a crack. There certainly needs to be a balance of highly skilled play off the cuff players like DCE/Schuster if he can get his act together in 23, blue collars, super stars like Tom and then a couple of just hard headed mongrels. We just haven't got that balance right. I am sure we have not got the halves right for 23 and there will be some turnover of the roster yet. It will be interesting to see what happens but they need to get moving asap!

Oh we certainly need a couple of old fashioned mongrels but we also really need some blue collars. Agreed Orford could be sketchy but again my memory of him was he was always willing to have a crack. There certainly needs to be a balance of highly skilled play off the cuff players like DCE/Schuster if he can get his act together in 23, blue collars, super stars like Tom and then a couple of just hard headed mongrels. We just haven't got that balance right. I am sure we have not got the halves right for 23 and there will be some turnover of the roster yet. It will be interesting to see what happens but they need to get moving asap!
If we're not bringing a bit of grunt to the club, I'd be giving Zac Fulton first crack. I know he's inexperienced and he'd be taking a leap but he showed me enough in his Rorters cameo to suggest he's ready.

If we're not bringing a bit of grunt to the club, I'd be giving Zac Fulton first crack. I know he's inexperienced and he'd be taking a leap but he showed me enough in his Rorters cameo to suggest he's ready.
Yes... just depends on how he and Jake can play together seeing they seem to be the same style of player? Can't have two of the exact same player in the side would be my initial comment. BUT - someone with the fire and determination that he has would be fab in this side - probably a few of them would be even better!

Yes... just depends on how he and Jake can play together seeing they seem to be the same style of player? Can't have two of the exact same player in the side would be my initial comment. BUT - someone with the fire and determination that he has would be fab in this side - probably a few of them would be even better!
We would have some serious starch in d though

DCE has the skill set but needs a coach that can reel him in to control his decision making on the field such as occurs in origin. We need that controlled approach week in and week out. It was a stupid decision to extend him and it will be the same old if things aren't changed.

DCE has the skill set but needs a coach that can reel him in to control his decision making on the field such as occurs in origin. We need that controlled approach week in and week out. It was a stupid decision to extend him and it will be the same old if things aren't changed.
Yep. Have to say, given a choice between Cherry playing smart, consistent footy and presenting well to the media (and he's a rugby league player, so it's not exactly a high bar), I'll take the smart, consistent footy every single time.

I couldn't care less about Hunt by way of his comparison with DCE.
Hunt has been an ok player throughout his career with some good and bad patches. Hunt won the Lottery with Dragons paying overs as they looked for a star half to fix the problem they had there for the few years previous.

If you push me to add something of comparison, Hunt is a better team organiser, Dce has more individual brilliance.

I enjoy when DCE'S freakish stuff comes off, but thats all he has got and when not being freakish he has no structure to his game, at the teams expense. How to build pressure and keep it on, how to steer the team around the park in general, a cool head knowing when percentage plays are required. It went out the window this year particularly.

All teams need their forward pack to do a job, but there are those good halves who can control the game, speed and slow the pace of the game, to put their teams in positions that improve the opportunity to do their job., and to control and wrap up the game when in the lead. DCE has none of that. He is not a complete half. After tackling their backside off, he's likely to kick it down field on the 2nd tackle and give the forwards more work. A cool head needed with cowboys coming home strong, not DCE, he goes for a play off the scrum that directly led to the final try.

Good halves on big coin, whether you want to argue he's on too much or its manly fault for making the offer doesnt matter to me, I'd take a controlled #7 over a rocks and diamonds #7 every day of the week.

I couldn't care less about Hunt by way of his comparison with DCE.
Hunt has been an ok player throughout his career with some good and bad patches. Hunt won the Lottery with Dragons paying overs as they looked for a star half to fix the problem they had there for the few years previous.

If you push me to add something of comparison, Hunt is a better team organiser, Dce has more individual brilliance.

I enjoy when DCE'S freakish stuff comes off, but thats all he has got and when not being freakish he has no structure to his game, at the teams expense. How to build pressure and keep it on, how to steer the team around the park in general, a cool head knowing when percentage plays are required. It went out the window this year particularly.

All teams need their forward pack to do a job, but there are those good halves who can control the game, speed and slow the pace of the game, to put their teams in positions that improve the opportunity to do their job., and to control and wrap up the game when in the lead. DCE has none of that. He is not a complete half. After tackling their backside off, he's likely to kick it down field on the 2nd tackle and give the forwards more work. A cool head needed with cowboys coming home strong, not DCE, he goes for a play off the scrum that directly led to the final try.

Good halves on big coin, whether you want to argue he's on too much or its manly fault for making the offer doesnt matter to me, I'd take a controlled #7 over a rocks and diamonds #7 every day of the week.
Dce is and will always be a 6 at heart. A potent oportunistic option that pairs well with a composed, simple partner at 7 (a navigator). As shown at different points in his career there are conditions where he also works alongside a less dominant half, but only when the team has other figures taking ownership of the attack (eg fainu/api period, lyon/snake/stewart/foz period, origin w/ hunt, grant)

As for Hunt, Manly vs Dragons this season saw Hunt almost singlehandedly control our team in the conditions and that stuck with me a little.

I was always hesitant to rate Hunt but in terms of being a leading half he’s more than adequate and is becoming more consistent and complete as he ages. Especially given the pretty deflating dragons team he has to work with

Last edited by a moderator:
We would have some serious starch in d though
yes that is very very true

Is that what you see in Fulton? I have only seen one game, so I am curious that you see him as a slow ball playing forward, who doesn't shirk the hard stuff in defence

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8