• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well the next two days are going to be very interesting. If we r going to pay him 1.4 then why not chuck 100 more grand on just to seal him.

The cap will go up tomorrow
So you got to hang on 'til tomorrow, come what may!
Tomorrow, tomorrow, so much cap space tomorrow
You're only a day away
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor RL player
That struts and frets his hour upon the field
And then is seen no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury Signifying nothing.

— Macbeth (Act 5, Scene 5, lines 17-28)
o_O

I can understand your initial concern, but the cap is increasing all the time, and quality halves in the modern game are rare as hens teeth. When you consider Hodkinson can attrack 700k on the open market and all he does his kick field goals, you can see how DCE is probably worth 1.4m; not to mention 400k of that figure is probably not included under the cap.

Yeah thats a fair point.

Geez for 1.4m a year id expect him to play every single week regardless of injury!

Don't forget the dark years before Orford, we threw the cutlery at Ox because we knew we wouldn't win a thing without a top notch half. I don't see this as anything different to that.

Pretty sad, isn't it, when a lot of our energies are going into worrying about ways to get an already extremely well paid young man (for his age) get more money for doing something he originally chose to do for the love of it? It's not just him, of course. But most discussions about RL these days centres on money.
Players are getting more each year, yet the average Australian worker is flat-lining.

These guys only have a viable career of 10 to maybe 15 years, and in the process their bodies are done damage that they have to carry for the rest of their lives. It makes perfect sense for them to go for as much cash as they could earn. Anyone else in their situation would do the same. If you want to point the finger of blame, point it at the people who watch it - generating the revenue - that ultimately ends up making the NRL as profitable as it is.

These guys only have a viable career of 10 to maybe 15 years, and in the process their bodies are done damage that they have to carry for the rest of their lives. It makes perfect sense for them to go for as much cash as they could earn. Anyone else in their situation would do the same. If you want to point the finger of blame, point it at the people who watch it - generating the revenue - that ultimately ends up making the NRL as profitable as it is.
The average earners potential for increased income only flatlines to the degree that their own skills/job/industry does. DCE is in one where they are generating significant income at the league level at least and with the next media deal, it will increase even further, so he is right to angle for as much as possible.

Whether he is worth 1.4 is not the question. The Tits offer makes him worth it.
The question is how much of the salary cap is chewed up in that 1.4?

Assuming he will get the MPA of 300K* and around 300k TPA that puts 800 on the books.

He and FOZ are on the books for 650K each at the moment, so in reality it is not a large rise*.

Certainly not a large chunk to be chewed up by the future QLD SOO Captain and in all probability the Aussie Captain.

* I am not certain of the actual MPA amount or that he will get this in 2016/17, as it may already be allocated to Snake or Lyon. So may have to put that back on the books to make it 1.1 or "move on" the player currently getting it.

Last edited:
It's not just the 1.4 that needs to be considered. It's what needs to be done should he actually go.

A new 7 needs to be found and IF you can find a quality one, he's not going to come cheap. No matter who we sign, he'll be no DCE. Even with his failings.

I can't for the life of me figure out how sports administrators (who are supposed to know their jobs) can let it get to the stage where they're at the mercy of a player.

I haven't got a clue if DCE will stay or not, I've got a feeling he will, but that's probably more wishful thinking than anything else. If, in the event he doesn't stay, a possible replacement that I don't think has been mentioned much, if at all, is Moses Mbye from the dogs. He's behind Hodko and The Grub at present, however he offers more than either of them IMO. He's also in the dogs system which has a forward dominated game plan. I think you'd see the best of him if he we're allowed to play as more of a traditional halfback. He's contracted to them for next year, but we may be able to work something out with them.

I haven't got a clue if DCE will stay or not, I've got a feeling he will, but that's probably more wishful thinking than anything else. If, in the event he doesn't stay, a possible replacement that I don't think has been mentioned much, if at all, is Moses Mbye from the dogs. He's behind Hodko and The Grub at present, however he offers more than either of them IMO. He's also in the dogs system which has a forward dominated game plan. I think you'd see the best of him if he we're allowed to play as more of a traditional halfback. He's contracted to them for next year, but we may be able to work something out with them.
I agree that Mbye is a fine prospect, but I also think the Dogs would never let him walk. Des is no dummy and week in week out Mbye plugs a hole somewhere for him. I'd imagine the Dogs would keep him and eventually Josh Reynolds will be forced out of the club and wind up at the Sharks or something.

Having not posted before, I felt compelled to give my 2c worth after having read 166 pages of comments and opinions :).

I've been a massive Manly fan for years and followed them through thick and thin (no..I'm not a Troll) there's an important point that we need to keep in mind.

DCE is a quality halfback and the the fact remains there are only a handfull of good halfbacks in existing teams today let alone available in the market. The reality is the halfback touches the ball the most amount of times in any game (with probably the exception being the hooker) which makes them the most critical player in the team by far. DCE may be playing games and shopping for the most $$$ that he can get but then again who from us would not do the same. You may not agree with his methods but I'm certain its not all of his doings.

We really need to do everything to keep him and if it mean's matching the same $$$ as the GC then so be it. There is a reason why NFL teams pay BIG BUCKS for the quaterbacks...simply because they control the team not matter what. League is very similar and I fear that should DCE not stay, we will struggle to find another good halfback for a number of years

If leaks are plugged ,how does the media know that Manly have now matched the Titan's
offer ? Or is this all BS still ?
Wait and see...some of the media hacks just guessing, some getting a drip release officially. It just depends how and who controls it. We got offside with certain sections of the media in Des era. It is being repaired slowly.

Having not posted before, I felt compelled to give my 2c worth after having read 166 pages of comments and opinions :).

I've been a massive Manly fan for years and followed them through thick and thin (no..I'm not a Troll) there's an important point that we need to keep in mind.

DCE is a quality halfback and the the fact remains there are only a handfull of good halfbacks in existing teams today let alone available in the market. The reality is the halfback touches the ball the most amount of times in any game (with probably the exception being the hooker) which makes them the most critical player in the team by far. DCE may be playing games and shopping for the most $$$ that he can get but then again who from us would not do the same. You may not agree with his methods but I'm certain its not all of his doings.

We really need to do everything to keep him and if it mean's matching the same $$$ as the GC then so be it. There is a reason why NFL teams pay BIG BUCKS for the quaterbacks...simply because they control the team not matter what. League is very similar and I fear that should DCE not stay, we will struggle to find another good halfback for a number of years
Great first post. Welcome!

I disagree with the "pay anything" line. I think he is a great club halfback (the best sort if you want to win premierships .. as opposed to tests and SOO). The issue is if you pay overs than you restrict who else can be bought in, how much you can pay to retain those you wish to retain and the ill feeling that this can create. The payment demands of one player affect team moral (whether it was that players fault or not). Teams win premierships. The half back is critical but you can win with a very good halfback, a good go forward pack and great team work.

Player managers are good at playing the media game , I reckon the back room deals and discussion would be going on thick and fast, a bit of outside pressure to keep people honest and to see who blinks first to extract an extra pound of flesh is an old trick in the Orr's game book.

Just seen on the Lurker, Ivan Cleary was spotted with 'a very influential Manly figure' deep in conversation at a coffee shop on the northern beaches, dont know if its true, just wanted to put it out there

Finally back in the real world for a few days and this **** is STILL going on!!

Sort if thought I might go away for a week, check back in and it would all be over!!

Oh well back out bush for a week on Wednesday so maybe it will happen then!!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8