The Haumole Bible.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Actually the club started the rachet clause by cocking up negotiations so badly. Cherry was willing to sign for 800k or so but thanks to the foran screwjob and managements kindy style the club ****ed itself.
I would imagine player managers started the ratchet clauses. weak minded club execs just went along for the ride in desperation

Most influential Manly forward for some time now in terms of being able to or capable of providing some game changing input .
5 to 6 years may have seemed more like the norm but what is he now , around 23 - 24 and with every expectation that he may be able to maintain his form level if not even hone his game a bit better , seems within reason .
If only Shu could again provide a similar influential role and benefit to the side and justify his not inconsiderable current pay packet.
and still seems to be learning the game somewhat. His abilty to pass left to right in traffic probably is the main obstacle
Crazy that we dont move him to the other side but maybe his giant fend isnt as applicable but his underarm offload in traffic is stronger using his right arm like the basketballer he was

But i hate 8 year contracts

and still seems to be learning the game somewhat. His abilty to pass left to right in traffic probably is the main obstacle
Crazy that we dont move him to the other side but maybe his giant fend isnt as applicable but his underarm offload in traffic is stronger using his right arm like the basketballer he was

But i hate 8 year contracts
Actually find Haumole "s pass selection not too bad .
Definitely however subscribe to the notion that he can be used a bit more effectively .
Just need the pack in general to exert a bit more authority and not have Haumole so heavily marked on unfortunately too numerous occasions .

Would love to see him sign long term. I’d personally like to see him increase his skill set and occasionally get the ball from deeper thus increasing his momentum and ability to break the line but that’s all to come. Considering he didn’t even have a NRL background I think he has the potential to be one of if not the best 2nd rower in the game.

Haumole is the only player in our squad where you can make the argument he is the best in his position in the comp (ignoring Turbo as he doesn’t play)

If a massive 8 year deal is what it takes to keep him then we just have to do it. People would have less issue with this if we didn’t already have a few of these huge contacts but Haumole is the only one actually worth one at this point

Haumole's second 'family', the Fainu's, are now all over at the Tigpies, and if you saw how emotional Haumole was when he made the speech on the presentation of Samuela's debit jersey, I think they are pretty damn close. Given those circumstances, any employer would be 'jittery' about the potential of retaining a player whose strong Pacifica family relationships, and loyalty may potentially be somewhere else.

Just maybe, it's another tough Mestrov play to Tartak, as we already have Haumole locked in until end of 2025, and it's a 'take it or leave it offer'. If Tartak and Haumole don't accept the deal, I can't see Haumole being around in 2025, and maybe not even 2024. Hopefully that's not the case.

So the contract for 850k for 8 years for Olakau'ata can be looked in another way.
The contract is basically 900k per season for the next 5 seasons and that will take him to 30 years old because he is 25 now. Then for the next 3 seasons when he is in his 30s from 30-33 we will be paying him 750k.

850,000 x 8 = 6,800,000
= 6.8 million

900,000 x 5 = 4,500,000 +
750,000 x 3 = 2,250,000
= 6,750,000
= 6.75 million

Now going off this;
Fifita 1 million
Nanai 900k
Nelson 850k
Niukore 850k
Martin 850k
Kikau 800k
Schuster 800k
Bateman 750k

If Olakau'ata was to go to another club especially a weaker club I recon he would be getting maximum 900-950k and a strong club where he would have the chance of premierships around 800k.
With Manly taking the risk for him to be the second highest paid second rower in the comp for the first 5 years then currently equal as top for the years in his 30s for a guy who hasn't even represented NSW yet I believe is a big risk. The idea behind the intention is right like if he was getting paid 850k for next 5 years then 700 for 3 years after that I recon that would be an agreeable deal (400k cheaper). This is because Manly is taking a risk on this offer and kind of like economies of scale the price should be lower when purchasing in large quantities because there is potential for high risk. But this current deal would a deal that any decent club would take in shorter amounts,

Looking at the list Olakau'ata getting paid 900k for first 5 years is probably accurate or on a little overs. I recon the first contract should be like 4.25 million for 5 years setting him at 875k per season then if he performs well resign him for 700-750k basing off how much his physical abilities are diminishing as he ages.

Now for the older players that are above 30 playing second row we have;
Frizell 750k
Kafusi 750k
Kenneth Bromich 650k
Elliot Whitehead 650k

Now it's hard to tell how he will be playing when he is 30 and how much strength and speed he will loose. For players like halves age doesn't really weary them as their job is controlling a side and actually age can be helpful through experience and making wise decisions through simplying their game like cherry, SJ and reno have been. But for back rowers their job is to run tough hard lines over halfback and protect their half. So age can become a problem for them hence why the risk if signing him this contract for 8 years especially if he starts to have injury concerns because we all know Manly players love some time on the sidelines.
Thoughts?

So the contract for 850k for 8 years for Olakau'ata can be looked in another way.
The contract is basically 900k per season for the next 5 seasons and that will take him to 30 years old because he is 25 now. Then for the next 3 seasons when he is in his 30s from 30-33 we will be paying him 750k.

850,000 x 8 = 6,800,000
= 6.8 million

750,000 x 3 = 2,250,000
= 6,750,000
= 6.75 million

Now going off this;
Fifita 1 million
Nanai 900k
Nelson 850k
Niukore 850k
Martin 850k
Kikau 800k
Schuster 800k
Bateman 750k

If Olakau'ata was to go to another club especially a weaker club I recon he would be getting maximum 900-950k and a strong club where he would have the chance of premierships around 800k.
With Manly taking the risk for him to be the second highest paid second rower in the comp for the first 5 years then currently equal as top for the years in his 30s for a guy who hasn't even represented NSW yet I believe is a big risk. The idea behind the intention is right like if he was getting paid 850k for next 5 years then 700 for 3 years after that I recon that would be an agreeable deal (400k cheaper). This is because Manly is taking a risk on this offer and kind of like economies of scale the price should be lower when purchasing in large quantities because there is potential for high risk. But this current deal would a deal that any decent club would take in shorter amounts,

Looking at the list Olakau'ata getting paid 900k for first 5 years is probably accurate or on a little overs. I recon the first contract should be like 4.25 million for 5 years setting him at 875k per season then if he performs well resign him for 700-750k basing off how much his physical abilities are diminishing as he ages.

Frizell 750k
Kafusi 750k
Kenneth Bromich 650k
Elliot Whitehead 650k

Now it's hard to tell how he will be playing when he is 30 and how much strength and speed he will loose. For players like halves age doesn't really weary them as their job is controlling a side and actually age can be helpful through experience and making wise decisions through simplying their game like cherry, SJ and reno have been. But for back rowers their job is to run tough hard lines over halfback and protect their half. So age can become a problem for them hence why the risk if signing him this contract for 8 years especially if he starts to have injury concerns because we all know Manly players love some time on the sidelines.
Thoughts?
Wouldn't swap him for anyone on the highest paid list. Fifita would be be close especially after watching him running of Foz this year but I truly believe Guac has a higher ceiling.

The new CBA will be in place for 5 years so I don't think ratchet clauses will play a roll in his value until the last 3 years of this deal, if they are even in place. If we get this done now it's good business IMO.

Lock him up , he has shown improvement every year and he is only going to get better, most young players push passes and try miracle balls but Oka has been patient, and his fitness and defence has been the same first year he was gassed and getting caught out but know he and Chez work well together

Lock him up , he has shown improvement every year and he is only going to get better, most young players push passes and try miracle balls but Oka has been patient, and his fitness and defence has been the same first year he was gassed and getting caught out but know he and Chez work well together
The Haumole to Koula to Saab then back to Koula will be something to savor.

850,000 x 8 = 6,800,000
= 6.8 million

750,000 x 3 = 2,250,000
= 6,750,000
= 6.75 million

Now going off this;
Fifita 1 million
Nanai 900k
Nelson 850k
Niukore 850k
Martin 850k
Kikau 800k
Schuster 800k
Bateman 750k

Frizell 750k
Kafusi 750k
Kenneth Bromich 650k
Elliot Whitehead 650k

Thoughts?
Great analysis Josh, I reckon just get it done , he has a high ceiling so should only get better esp if he can run onto the ball a bit more V getting it flat footed

I hope we don't become even more top heavy with this contract. I honestly feel one of our biggest issues with turning around the state of affairs at our club, is the unbalanced roster. We seem to be shedding players in numbers, to retain a few, who honestly, haven't achieved much at club level.

Look at Tom, Jake and Ben. For MANLY, what have they achieved? Olakau'atu - what has he achieved? DCE won us a premiership, so sweet - pay the man.

I think some seriously tough decisions need to be made in order for our clubs form and culture to turn around. Decisions that would literally send a large component of our fanbase into a headspin. This is why I think we need an independent Football Director.

I think a lot of the recruitment decisions (including retention) have been reactive / desperation type deals. They aren't progressive / forward thinking type transactions. I also think a lot has come down to relationships with player managers / or to a lesser degree player driven - not with the medium to longer term betterment of our club in mind (think Schuster / Lodge / Talau / Waddell type signings).

Anyways, this has been our form:

2023 - 12th
2022 - 11th
2021 - 4th
2020 - 13th
2019 - 6th
2018 - 15th
2017 - 6th
2016 - 13th
2015 - 9th

Average finish over 9 years - 10th.

This is where Choc was forced to leave, King retired, G Stewart was forced to leave & the **** hit the fan (so where I drew the line), and our recruitment went into it's current type of format of quantity over quality (Mason, Mateo, Vave, Wiliame, Leary were the bring ins, most pretty well retired at that point).

I hope we don't become even more top heavy with this contract. I honestly feel one of our biggest issues with turning around the state of affairs at our club, is the unbalanced roster. We seem to be shedding players in numbers, to retain a few, who honestly, haven't achieved much at club level.

Look at Tom, Jake and Ben. For MANLY, what have they achieved? Olakau'atu - what has he achieved? DCE won us a premiership, so sweet - pay the man.

I think some seriously tough decisions need to be made in order for our clubs form and culture to turn around. Decisions that would literally send a large component of our fanbase into a headspin. This is why I think we need an independent Football Director.

I think a lot of the recruitment decisions (including retention) have been reactive / desperation type deals. They aren't progressive / forward thinking type transactions. I also think a lot has come down to relationships with player managers / or to a lesser degree player driven - not with the medium to longer term betterment of our club in mind (think Schuster / Lodge / Talau / Waddell type signings).

2023 - 12th
2022 - 11th
2021 - 4th
2020 - 13th
2019 - 6th
2018 - 15th
2017 - 6th
2016 - 13th
2015 - 9th

This is where Choc was forced to leave, King retired, G Stewart was forced to leave & the **** hit the fan (so where I drew the line), and our recruitment went into it's current type of format of quantity over quality (Mason, Mateo, Vave, Wiliame, Leary were the bring ins, most pretty well retired at that point).
our last success came about with emerging talent, some solid first graders and then adding the talent and class in positions we nneded to jump up levels, orford , bell, kite to a workhorse team that BK had instilled

Now we are top heavy with big coin signings in the big roles and hope to improve our squad with bargain basement and steady players.

the current big signings have had a number of players tried aound them over 5 plus years and dont look that close to being in a position to forge ahead or even make the finals consistently

at what point do we decide the strategy isnt working. Being the classiest bottom 4 side isnt much to brag about

the storm have used the same model around spine players that have proven success. even with bellamy that model isnt working quite as well when the tried and true players like slater, smith and cronk left the building, despite having grant, hughes and munster

Not all players with exceptional ability can lead you to the promise land.

you need competitors , white line fever . slater, smith, choc, gifty, foran all had it. Tom has it. Jake kind of has it but is paid way too much

Seems unlikely to sign before 1 November deadline as he is in the UK with Tonga. Queue the endless media speculation.

2023 - 12th
2022 - 11th
2021 - 4th
2020 - 13th
2019 - 6th
2018 - 15th
2017 - 6th
2016 - 13th
2015 - 9th

I like Guac as a player but I hate the idea of offering an 8 year deal at 850K/yr to a 2nd rower… I would rather they offer 2-3 years at 900K and take their chances…

At least Chez is an International standard halfback and, as you say, had starred for us in a GF when we signed him ‘for life’…

Guac is a gun player but not irreplaceable for mine, if St Merge or the faders want to throw $1M at him so be it… there are other 2nd rowers of similar quality that we could secure for less…

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8