The Luke Brooks Book Thread.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
You asked for it, so don't hate me !! Haha

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Reuben Garrick
04. Tolu Koula
05. Jaxson Paulo
06. Luke Brooks
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Taniela Paseka
09. Gordon Chan Kum Tong
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Kelma Tuilagi
13. Josh Schuster

14. Josh Aloiai
15. Sean Keppie
16. Ethan Bullemor
17. Ben Trbojevic

I get there's no utility, but with Schuster at 13, it means he could slot into the halves. Also, Ben could slot into the centres. Garrick to fullback. Brooks to Hooker.

This means we could rotate the forwards, and demand explosive, upbeat hard tempo.

That's a great team.
Good team ,I would lose Tuilagi ,replace him with Bullemor.Bring GCKT into reserves ,working tandem with Croker.And in a dream world get rid of Aloe Vera and buy a hard running ,physcopath forward.
Good to go ....

Last edited:
From Dan Walsh in the SMH. If you can access the link, Andrew Webster’s piece on the Hen Bunt imbroglio is a good read:

Josh is across everything’: Seibold insists Brooks’ four-year deal won’t ruffle Schuster​

By Dan Walsh

Updated June 26, 2023 — 5.51pm

Manly coach Anthony Seibold insists Luke Brooks’ signing on a lucrative four-year deal will not force prodigious playmaker Josh Schuster out of the club.

The Sea Eagles’ significant investment in Brooks, first reported by this masthead, will pitch one of the most maligned players in the game into the halves next season alongside veteran skipper Daly Cherry-Evans.

Brooks’ arrival from November comes as Schuster - who has been emphatic about wanting to play in the halves - continues to weigh up a three-year, $2.4 million extension offer that would keep him at the club until the end of 2027.

As well as Brooks, Manly has also signed Roosters winger Jaxson Paulo (three years) and Tigers back Tommy Talau (two years) from next season, and also locked in a three-year extension for rugby union target Tolu Koula.
Seibold declined to comment on where Brooks would line up in 2024.

Regarding Schuster, sources at Manly have confirmed a potential return to the back-row has been discussed with the 22-year-old.

“Josh is across everything that we’ve been planning,” Seibold told this masthead.

“We want Josh to stay, we’ve offered him an extension to his deal and that hasn’t changed.

There’s been clear communication with Josh on the areas of the game he needs to grow and the areas that he’s doing well.

“Signing Brooksy adds competition for spots to our group and brings in a quality player who has been a Dally M halfback of the year, who has played 200 games and is only 28 turning 29.”

Brooks recently knocked back a three-year extension from the Tigers, worth around $600,000 annually, to test his value on the open market after 11 seasons at his junior club.

It’s believed the extra year offered by Manly proved pivotal in securing his signature after recently meeting with Seibold.

Brooks has long been a lightning rod for criticism at the joint-venture having never played finals, though he had been in impressive form until suffering a hamstring injury three weeks ago.

Both Tim Sheens and his coaching successor Benji Marshall were keen to retain the playmaker, though other elements of the Tigers hierarchy remained unconvinced.

Brooks ranks as one of the highest earners in the game this year on a back-ended deal worth more than $1 million but has long been prepared to take a significant pay cut on his next contract.
Luke Brooks will arrive at Manly after 11 years with the Tigers.

Luke Brooks will arrive at Manly after 11 years with the Tigers.CREDIT: GETTY

Seibold was circumspect regarding the criticism Brooks has worn for years at the Tigers, but believes the influence of Cherry-Evans and the Trbojevic brothers can bring out his best.

“What I like about Brooksy, he’s got a really good left-foot kicking game, he’s a very good runner of the football and he takes the line on really well,” Seibold said.

“Obviously, he’s been the No.7 at the Tigers for a long time, but it wouldn’t be fair for me to comment on what pressure he’s been under, having not been a part of that club.

“What I do think is that the good role models that we’ve got at this club, they can help grow Luke’s game, and we can get him playing the best footy of his career here.”

Brooks’ arrival continues Manly’s roster upheaval as a swap deal that would see Talau start his contract early and send highly rated young half Latu Fainu to the Tigers remains on the table.

Negotiations around that deal and Talau’s arrival will dictate what the club does with $350,000 in salary cap relief granted to sign an outside back after Trbojevic’s season-ending pec rupture while playing for NSW.

Seibold insisted Manly’s extension offer to Schuster is proof the club wants to retain him, but he conceded rival interest could sway the Samoan international if he is a free agent by November 1.

“I’m in constant communication with Josh and his family. We want to keep him at Manly, he’s been here since he was 14.

“He’ll have a decision to make because I’m sure that there’ll be interest from other parties, but we want to keep Josh here and in any case he’s contracted for 2024.”

As reported by this masthead on Monday, a push for the Tigers to pursue Schuster was knocked on the head by Marshall.

The Tigers own halves stocks remain worryingly thin for next year given Adam Doueihi is recovering from an ACL rupture, Brandon Wakeham is off-contract and the club has missed out on Mitchell Moses, Cameron Munster and Shaun Johnson.

And this in the associated comments’ section:

So Manly have DCE and Schuster in the halves. Has schuster been released? They just bought Jake Arthur as back up and have keao weeks who can also play halves. and with Humpreys and Fainu coming through the ranks. How does Ben Hunt fit into that? How is that a smart long term decision for Manly?
RESPECT2

He or she sounds like a Manly supporter and gets to vote in elections. Plus two other dingbats hit the ‘Respect’ button on his/her post.

Last edited:
Traded a potential young halve for a declining 2nd rate halfback who’s grossly over paid, and then we filled spots that were needed in the centre/winger positions, but only with decent-mediocre players. None of which will help make Manly competitive.
How much did Seinold want Brooks, & why is he crazy.

Clearly Manly planning for DCE's retirement. I would have preferred to keep Latu but I do not know the behind the scenes machinations. The other question is: Can Brooks play 5/8?

Clearly Manly planning for DCE's retirement. I would have preferred to keep Latu but I do not know the behind the scenes machinations. The other question is: Can Brooks play 5/8?
Think it's the opposite. Short sighted.

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
Good question, but I recall our Captain offering to play 6 when we were talking with Pearce,(I get that was offered as part of trying to seal that deal), Brooks may end up playing 7.

Is there a difference though?The 6 and 7 play on opposite sides more often than not and it basically depends on who the dominant half is really.Some would say Brooks is better suited to playing as a running half as opposed to leading a team around the park/organiser

If Seibs thinks that fellow Moses stooge Brooks is a better option than Schu he maybe disappointed and feel the waste of $$. He has been a myth since he entered first grade 10 years ago. The only consistency with Brooks is his inconsistency. He will not change now.

And folks here think Schu goes in and out of games - all 6 of them at 5/8th.

He will come good - just hope it's playing for Manly.

If Seibs thinks that fellow Moses stooge Brooks is a better option than Schu he maybe disappointed and feel the waste of $$. He has been a myth since he entered first grade 10 years ago. The only consistency with Brooks is his inconsistency. He will not change now.

And folks here think Schu goes in and out of games - all 6 of them at 5/8th.

He will come good - just hope it's playing for Manly.
All young players have peaks and dips early on.
Shoe no different the Keary or any other.

Must have been quite a bit of discussion and calculations going on behind the scenes at Manly looking at short and long term considerations and options .

Shu not really measuring up as a reliable or consistent 6 with the option of always reverting back to an edge or maybe 13 .

Latu showing some good signs recently at a higher level but not ready for a while to step up to i st grade , some thought on a post D C E situation .

So Brooks to very hopefully offer some resolution to the whole conundrum .
Don 't mind a free running type 6 in the Keary mould and Brooks does have some toe and not that i have seen that much of him in his career but no doubt some good all round footy smarts as well .

Defence , well don't think that that is one of his real strong points , so will have to get that in order to offer the best value but seems a sturdy enough individual to tick that box .

Not ideal with the investment already in Latu but tough business trying to get the right balance and of course unlikely he will be that interested in staying

However will have to find a suitor first .
Not much mention of Samual 's future situation with Manly , sure that the club would like to retain him but probably other factors at play now .

Talau and Paulo, well looks like not that much confidence in Tui , Garrick more as a centre , back up one , great news extending Koula so not sure where Talau fits into the scene then

Like the look of Faulalo and Fetcher - Myers looked promising but again club is thinking in another direction now .

No new forwards at this stage , still have to have a good standard 13 , looks like Jake to lead the already available pack line up , with hopefully including Bully ,

Quite a major change in overall direction, a gamble of sorts but something had to happen to at least try to get some improved results

4 years is insane and I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. Surely the plan isn't for Brooks to succeed DCE down the line as his record as the lead half at the Tigers has spoken for itself over the past 10 years...

Mind you I do think Brooks and DCE have potential to be a quality halves pairing, but DCE will be 35 by the time they play together and once he retires we'll be back in the same hole, only without Fainu as a potential replacement. Just more short sighted stuff from the club and it feels like Seibold is already getting desperate, better hope we start getting some results soon or the comparisons to the 2020 Broncos will grow louder and louder

Must have been quite a bit of discussion and calculations going on behind the scenes at Manly looking at short and long term considerations and options . Shu not really measuring up as a reliable or consistent 6 with the option of always reverting back to an edge or maybe 13 . Latu showing some good signs recently at a higher level but not ready for a while to step up to i st grade , some thought on a post D C E situation . So Brooks to very hopefully offer some resolution to the whole conundrum . Don 't mind a free running type 6 in the Keary mould and Brooks does have some toe and not that i have seen that much of him in his career but no doubt some good all round footy smarts as well . Defence , well don't think that that is one of his real strong points , so will have to get that in order to offer the best value but seems a sturdy enough individual to tick that box . Not ideal with the investment already in Latu but tough business trying to get the right balance and of course unlikely he will be that interested in staying However will have to find a suitor first . Not much mention of Samual 's future situation with Manly , sure that the club would like to retain him but probably other factors at play now . Talau and Paulo, well looks like not that much confidence in Tui , Garrick more as a centre , back up one , great news extending Koula so not sure where Talau fits into the scene then . Like the look of Faulalo and Fetcher - Myers looked promising but again club is thinking in another direction now . No new forwards at this stage , still have to have a good standard 13 , looks like Jake to lead the already available pack line up , with hopefully including Bully , Quite a major change in overall direction, a gamble of sorts but something had to happen to at least try to get some improved results
I can't imagine there not being some input from DCE as well, in making this decision. So Shu might now feel DCE has also cut him loose. If thats the case, I can't see how he would stay. Unless he reaĺly does love playing at Manly and they've talked him into becoming a 13.

What's with all these long deals?4 for Brooks and 3 for Paulo. We did the same with Kelma and he has been a dud.

It makes it impossible to move them on if you need to.
At least a 1 year or 2 year deal at most is a way of opting out if he isnt the right fit.

4 or 3 years...that's crazy.

Last edited:
I think one key aspect out of all of this is, what Brooks will be like if Turbo is not in the team.
Is he going to be the new whipping boy that Shuster is now if the team doesnt garner results.
At present we don't have a decent forward pack and all the blame seems to be shifting on Schu.
Sure he needs to be fitter but I don't think even a Cam Munster could pull us out of this hole if Turbo isn't playing or if we persist with this current forward pack.
We really needed to sign a top tier prop or a top tier natural running 9, yet we are inundated with half a dozen half options.
Seibold pulled this same crap at the Broncos, with the halves and he got a wooden spoon as a trophy.

I can't imagine there not being some input from DCE as well, in making this decision. So Shu might now feel DCE has also cut him loose. If thats the case, I can't see how he would stay. Unless he reaĺly does love playing at Manly and they've talked him into becoming a 13.
Fairly sure that D C E was a bit concerned with Shu 's drop or partial drop off in form in late 21 and made some public comments earlier this season on how he thought that he had to step up a bit again but would say for sure also that D C E would still prefer to have him on board with the expectation that he can or is capable of hitting his straps again . Looks like the club is still prepared to pay him some very decent coin to have him longer term but has not been happening at 6 for a while now with him producing top form and the injury issues not helping . Really hope that he can stay on and get back to his best level , winners all round then , Even as a 6 for now but inevitable when Brooks arrives back as an edge or not out of the question as a 13 .

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10