The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Highflier, I think it would be fair to say that over the years nobody on here has supported and defended our Manly players more than me ... and I continue to support the Shu ... but I have seen him run on 29 times and I cannot honestly say ... he is a better player now, or has learnt anything from those games ..

Can I respectfully suggest you re-watch that Samoan game ...

I was keen and excited to see him play and after his emotional response during the national anthem I was anticipating him to rip in and have a career defining game ..

What I watched however was an embarrassment .... He spent the fiirst 70 minutes doing everything humanly possible to avoid having to either make a tackle or take a hit up ... including wandering around behind the ruck to the blind and even the old do up my shoe lace ... it was from watching him in that game that finally convinced me of his near future ...

Now some may say that 10 seconds of football gold makes up for the 70 mins of shiite ... but not in the NRL ... maybe down at Harbord Park or at Beverley Job Park ... but not in the NRL ..

Yes he has the talent, but it is not his football skills that are the problem ... until he ups the workrate and effort he will continue to fall short of his potential ...

And the occasional genius big play won't smother or cover up ...

I am trying not to be too hard on him .. but feel myself failing ... it is getting to the point that someone who I started off eagerly waiting to watch pay ... has become someone who just makes me angry watching him ...

The more I type the more I think this is a cry for help ... I need a hug ..
haha consider yourself hugged Woodsie ,
I still say its his 2nd yr and give him time

Josh has much to learn and is not the finished article.

He needs a full off season in my opinion. Lose some pudding as he has an opportunity coming his way next season.

He is being used in a cameo role right now and I dont think that suits him. He needs to play a consistent 80 minutes to get that fitness that he needs as he tires easily at the moment and he needs to improve his discipline!

I can cut him slack for almost anything except for
(a) fitness
(b) work ethic on the field

Neither of which are currently up to FG standard so not cutting slack.
This.
Schuster may never achieve his true potential if he cant fix these two major issues quickly. Both relate to poor attitude and even poorer self discipline. Lets hope he can find the inner resolve to make the significant improvements he needs to make, in both areas.

The whole 5/8 issue is a bit alarming.

Letting Foran go for someone not entrusted to do their job for 80 minutes

Rabbits did the same thing letting Reynolds go and they are a rabble right now.
It's incredible isn't it...... Unbelievable really.

He needs to play a consistent 80 minutes to get that fitness that he needs as he tires easily at the moment and he needs to improve his discipline!
In rugby league folkore big forwards need a number of games to get 'match fit'. I reckon that truism doesn't apply quite so much any more. Look at Turbo last year, when he came back he was flying, and fullback if anything requires more fitness, not less.

I'm still a big fan of Schu but disagree with the idea he needs to play 80 minutes to get fit. There's another 10,000 minutes in every week when fitness can be worked on. (And if its just reducing his weight, that is largely down to what he chooses to consume).

There’s nothing like match fitnesses. But I agree he needs to work harder of the field. He needs to get that hunger to succeed back. Injuries and other factors can be deflating and take the wind out of a players sails.

This pile-on is pretty off.

What pile-on?

I'd say 99.9% of posters want the Shu to be the best player he can be.

As far as I can see, no-one has called him a "cancer" yet, or anything remotely similar.

I have mentioned before that this thread should wait till Schuster plays 4 games in a row at 6 next year .We all agreed that he has put on weight and because of it ,he is not the same player we watched last year .Someone on here will have to ask Des why he puts him on when the players on the field are doing the job .Des should leave him in the NSW CUP playing 6 for 80 mins till the end of this year and after the preseason so he is 100 % for 2023 .I have no doubt at all that Schuster will be ready to play 6 next year .

Des should leave him in the NSW CUP playing 6 for 80 mins till the end of this year and after the preseason so he is 100 % for 2023 .I have no doubt at all that Schuster will be ready to play 6 next year
I suspect Schu is already among one of Manly's highest paid so for that reason alone is unlikely to be risked at Blacktown.
Also for his rugby league education Des might think he'll learn more about the pace and physical demands of NRL by playing NRL, even reduced minutes.
And as for his 5/8 education - what he'll learn by playing in a team with Foran would far exceed what he ever could playing reserve grade.
As for his fitness, that will improve, he's had a tough run with injuries.

Dont need to reveal the fact that I have a lot of time for this most talented young player. The kid has skills few in the game will ever develop and yet they seem so natural to him.

However, I have become increasingly concerned by what's been happening to him this year, since he returned from injury. Last year he was an 80 minute a game forward with an impressive defensive record and one who added an extra dimension to Manly's attack. This year he has barely played a full game, and those few games he did play for the full 80, he seemed to lack the spark that made him such an awesome prospect. Des seems to be holding him back and it has me wondering if there is a problem here we are not hearing about.

Some will argue he is overweight and unfit. Maybe that's so, though I would have imagined Des would have addressed that issue post haste. But is there more to the saga. Is he still injured for example, and being kept back to protect him. Or is there a deeper problem concerning his enthusiasm. I've heard he's quite a sensitive fellow and he's copped a lot of flack over the Foran issue, some even blaming him for Foran leaving the club. Is that taking its toll on him and remember he's just turned 21. Whatever the situation, and maybe some of you have the inside gos, it would be a major blow if this kid is losing his mojo, his confidence, because it would seem imperative for him to get himself right if he is going to offer to the Manly team, what I dont doubt he can offer.

Perhaps others on this forum know something that can explain this enigma.

Dont need to reveal the fact that I have a lot of time for this most talented young player. The kid has skills few in the game will ever develop and yet they seem so natural to him.

However, I have become increasingly concerned by what's been happening to him this year, since he returned from injury. Last year he was an 80 minute a game forward with an impressive defensive record and one who added an extra dimension to Manly's attack. This year he has barely played a full game, and those few games he did play for the full 80, he seemed to lack the spark that made him such an awesome prospect. Des seems to be holding him back and it has me wondering if there is a problem here we are not hearing about.

Some will argue he is overweight and unfit. Maybe that's so, though I would have imagined Des would have addressed that issue post haste. But is there more to the saga. Is he still injured for example, and being kept back to protect him. Or is there a deeper problem concerning his enthusiasm. I've heard he's quite a sensitive fellow and he's copped a lot of flack over the Foran issue, some even blaming him for Foran leaving the club. Is that taking its toll on him and remember he's just turned 21. Whatever the situation, and maybe some of you have the inside gos, it would be a major blow if this kid is losing his mojo, his confidence, because it would seem imperative for him to get himself right if he is going to offer to the Manly team, what I dont doubt he can offer.

Perhaps others on this forum know something that can explain this enigma.
I am with you all the way when you say he is the most talented player and few have his skills

Any coach that has a quality player like him in his playing squad is surely blessed

If Bellamy can get the best out of the average underdog

Schuster should be thriving under Des

I am not sure how Des could not get the best out of Sully like Griffin is this season

I am with you all the way when you say he is the most talented player and few have his skills

Any coach that has a quality player like him in his playing squad is surely blessed

If Bellamy can get the best out of the average underdog

Schuster should be thriving under Des

I am not sure how Des could not get the best out of Sully like Griffin is this season
I think you are being a bit negative there BOZO.

Just sayin’

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10