The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Dont need to reveal the fact that I have a lot of time for this most talented young player. The kid has skills few in the game will ever develop and yet they seem so natural to him.

However, I have become increasingly concerned by what's been happening to him this year, since he returned from injury. Last year he was an 80 minute a game forward with an impressive defensive record and one who added an extra dimension to Manly's attack. This year he has barely played a full game, and those few games he did play for the full 80, he seemed to lack the spark that made him such an awesome prospect. Des seems to be holding him back and it has me wondering if there is a problem here we are not hearing about.

Some will argue he is overweight and unfit. Maybe that's so, though I would have imagined Des would have addressed that issue post haste. But is there more to the saga. Is he still injured for example, and being kept back to protect him. Or is there a deeper problem concerning his enthusiasm. I've heard he's quite a sensitive fellow and he's copped a lot of flack over the Foran issue, some even blaming him for Foran leaving the club. Is that taking its toll on him and remember he's just turned 21. Whatever the situation, and maybe some of you have the inside gos, it would be a major blow if this kid is losing his mojo, his confidence, because it would seem imperative for him to get himself right if he is going to offer to the Manly team, what I dont doubt he can offer.

Perhaps others on this forum know something that can explain this enigma.
I know he admitted in an interview very recently that he was carrying too much extra weight and the coach wasn't happy. I think he just hasn't applied himself after missing off season training and is just not knuckling down to get super fit.

I think you are being a bit negative there BOZO.

Just sayin’
You can say it how you see it .

Underperformance is not a positive it is a negative feathered friend

Especially at a club where 2nd best is not acceptable

Lower our Legendary clubs high standards and we stand for nothing

240948987_10226342376526581_7626396401424013754_n.jpg

If he's over weight he should train harder and force himself into the run on side, I suspect he's carrying a slight injury. But the best way to lose weight is to play whether it be in reggies and also keep his skills honed. He can't expect to just get handed a jersey because of his talent. The coach and coaching staff should be right on top of it.

Dont need to reveal the fact that I have a lot of time for this most talented young player. The kid has skills few in the game will ever develop and yet they seem so natural to him.

However, I have become increasingly concerned by what's been happening to him this year, since he returned from injury. Last year he was an 80 minute a game forward with an impressive defensive record and one who added an extra dimension to Manly's attack. This year he has barely played a full game, and those few games he did play for the full 80, he seemed to lack the spark that made him such an awesome prospect. Des seems to be holding him back and it has me wondering if there is a problem here we are not hearing about.

Some will argue he is overweight and unfit. Maybe that's so, though I would have imagined Des would have addressed that issue post haste. But is there more to the saga. Is he still injured for example, and being kept back to protect him. Or is there a deeper problem concerning his enthusiasm. I've heard he's quite a sensitive fellow and he's copped a lot of flack over the Foran issue, some even blaming him for Foran leaving the club. Is that taking its toll on him and remember he's just turned 21. Whatever the situation, and maybe some of you have the inside gos, it would be a major blow if this kid is losing his mojo, his confidence, because it would seem imperative for him to get himself right if he is going to offer to the Manly team, what I dont doubt he can offer.

Perhaps others on this forum know something that can explain this enigma.

If anyone is blaming Shu for Foran leaving, I would suggest the fact his manager played handball in the media about Shu playing #6 next year would have a fair bit to do with it.

If that is indeed the issue, which I suspect it is, it's essentially entirely self inflicted.

If anyone is blaming Shu for Foran leaving, I would suggest the fact his manager played handball in the media about Shu playing #6 next year would have a fair bit to do with it.

If that is indeed the issue, which I suspect it is, it's essentially entirely self inflicted.

In the end that is superfluous. I am only suggesting it may affect Shu mentally and that he is seen as the cause and that he is being blamed for that. Manly and it supporters cannot afford to be caught up in blame issues here. Whether there is truth there or not, the issue is to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. He could very well be a major factor is Manly's rise. Foran is gone. Schuster is here. No matter the cause, Manly have invested handsomely in the kid and for Manly's sake even more than Schuster's, he needs to be nurtured effectively and supported if Manly are to gain benefit from his prodigious talent. Whether his manager handled this poorly or not, in the end it means nothing, if this kid helps take us to our next premiership

In the end that is superfluous. I am only suggesting it may affect Shu mentally and that he is seen as the cause and that he is being blamed for that. Manly and it supporters cannot afford to be caught up in blame issues here. Whether there is truth there or not, the issue is to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. He could very well be a major factor is Manly's rise. Foran is gone. Schuster is here. No matter the cause, Manly have invested handsomely in the kid and for Manly's sake even more than Schuster's, he needs to be nurtured effectively and supported if Manly are to gain benefit from his prodigious talent. Whether his manager handled this poorly or not, in the end it means nothing, if this kid helps take us to our next premiership
Schuster, Saab, Garrick, Parker, Marty, Keppie, Paseka, Harper, Aloiai, DCE, Croker, Walker....each one of them have been bagged & rubbished in here! Suli, Sironen, young Hoppa whilst they were in Manly colors also. Kelma Tuiliagi isn't even here yet & he's copping it but many lick the ar$es of those that have rubbished the club or done the dirty! You know who i'm talking about........wait until Koula, Tui make a few too many errors. They'll be added to the list. Be nice to read some positive news about our team on the odd occasion. I've supported this club since 1975 & every player to have worn our colors!

Last edited:
No doubt the injury issues or duration of injury issues has really hampered Josh "s progress this season but did not expect the lack or sense of urgency or eagerness that seems to have been part of his on field efforts in his limited on field time this season . Did again look better when he played the full game against the Warriors some time ago but maybe not the best yard stick to measure his form level when he has been available this season . Seemed to drop off a little bit towards the end of last season form wise but was still one of the best on field in many of his 2021 appearances. Obviously needs more game time to hopefully get back into the grind required at the top level and definitely to discard any casual mindset . On input level , hard to put him ahead of Davey right now but hopefully with more game time, his confidence and competitive outlook can pick right up and make him a must inclusion for big minutes in the back row soon [ and of course ideally to include a bit of weight loss as well ] .

Schu's progress has all the hallmarks of another Suli episode. The same injuries, the same lack of fitness, the same in and out form and now can't force his way back into the starting line-up. Makes more questions on how our strength, conditioning and rehab setup is operating.

Schu's progress has all the hallmarks of another Suli episode. The same injuries, the same lack of fitness, the same in and out form and now can't force his way back into the starting line-up. Makes more questions on how our strength, conditioning and rehab setup is operating.
Schuster career has already reached greater heights than Suli's ever has

Has anyone ever spoken to him? To put it politely, he just doesn't seem like much of a thinker. Most great 5/8ths have a real sparkle, a sharpness in their conversation.

Has anyone ever spoken to him? To put it politely, he just doesn't seem like much of a thinker. Most great 5/8ths have a real sparkle, a sharpness in their conversation.
Perspective time ....

J Thurston does not have a sparkle or sharpness in his conversation
But just like the Shu they can both light up the footy field with their natural talent

I haven't! But he doesn't seem to be a scheming plotting and planning type of player. He is a very instinctive, moment of brilliance type. So he's obviously got a huge learning curve on his course to become an NRL playmaker. I've little doubt he'll get there, might take some time though and Manly fans are notoriously impatient.

I know he admitted in an interview very recently that he was carrying too much extra weight and the coach wasn't happy. I think he just hasn't applied himself after missing off season training and is just not knuckling down to get super fit.
The thing is, if you miss the pre-season it's near impossible to achieve optimal fitness level throughout the season as the season proper is all about recovery (and footy technique and structure maintenance). Pre-season is all about getting the required shape and cardio for the season ahead. Massive disadvantage for anyone to miss this - I remember Jake and Thommo both struggled badly in 2020. Schu will need a solid pre-season and I have utmost faith, barring injury, we will all be saying how fit he looks at the start of next season

We'll have to wait till 2023 when he is given time at his preferred position , then we might see a scheming ,plotting and planning 5/8 or not .He needs to get himself fit as all the skills are there .

We'll have to wait till 2023 when he is given time at his preferred position , then we might see a scheming ,plotting and planning 5/8 or not .He needs to get himself fit as all the skills are there .
This is the problem. We're always saying wait till next year to see the best of ??. Been waiting since the 2013 GF robbery and it's giving me the sh*ts. It's the same as the year on year bullsh*t excuses that come out of the Blues. Do the Storm ever have to make excuses. Look at their player turn over yet their culture, fitness and comittment keep them up the top year on year. Fu*k this constant truck load of excuses. Get their sh*t together and get up the top of the table where we fu*king well belong.

I'm not sure about his number 6 credentials yet, but I can't write him off until he plays a few games there and we see what he can actually bring. He will be a unique body shape and style of player compared to all other 6's in the NRL, but nothing wrong with that if it works. Wally Lewis is an immortal and he was built more like a backrower playing 6. Does need to be fitter than he currently is though

I'd say Shoe's strength is his ball playing, so he will need someone on that outside shoulder that will allow him to unlock that potential. He needs a Menzies for his inner Cliffy Lyons. Who is that going to be ? Parker runs some courage lines and that is critical to commit defences, but Brad is hardly an attacking weapon outside of the crash play. Who is our edge backrower going to be on that side ? Davey is moving on so I can only assume Tualigi slots in there ? Possibly Lawton ? Do they have the nous to work with Shoe to unlock his potential ? One thing in his favour is that he has a relationship with Turbo already and that should reap some benefits I'm pretty sure.

Anyway from all reports it seems he will be given first crack at the 5/8 role next season so time will tell. Big worry for mine is if it doesn't work what is our plan B now that Foz is gone ? Is there another 6 in the house ??

I'm not sure about his number 6 credentials yet, but I can't write him off until he plays a few games there and we see what he can actually bring. He will be a unique body shape and style of player compared to all other 6's in the NRL, but nothing wrong with that if it works. Wally Lewis is an immortal and he was built more like a backrower playing 6. Does need to be fitter than he currently is though

I'd say Shoe's strength is his ball playing, so he will need someone on that outside shoulder that will allow him to unlock that potential. He needs a Menzies for his inner Cliffy Lyons. Who is that going to be ? Parker runs some courage lines and that is critical to commit defences, but Brad is hardly an attacking weapon outside of the crash play. Who is our edge backrower going to be on that side ? Davey is moving on so I can only assume Tualigi slots in there ? Possibly Lawton ? Do they have the nous to work with Shoe to unlock his potential ? One thing in his favour is that he has a relationship with Turbo already and that should reap some benefits I'm pretty sure.

Anyway from all reports it seems he will be given first crack at the 5/8 role next season so time will tell. Big worry for mine is if it doesn't work what is our plan B now that Foz is gone ? Is there another 6 in the house ??
That's been my concern all along. There's no one else!

I think it's a disgrace the way people keep blaming Des for the Schuster situation. He is CLEARLY UNFIT! That's on Josh. I implore the coach to play hardball with any player when it comes to fitness. I don't care if it's DCE or Turbo or Jake, or anyone else you care to mention.

Stop making excuses for Schu. Who cares how talented he is?! Who cares what his role will be next year?! Get fit and then we'll talk.

Imagine Haumole and Ben T running into gaps from the majestic passing of Schuster.
Look beyond the square

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8