The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Marty was nearly as big as Arnold

See the source image
and the same ball skills

I'd be quite surprised if Weekes gets a look in at 5/8 other than as a replacement. Manly has Schuster and the up and coming Latu Fainu who they paid big bucks to retain. Latu may convert to half, but both Schuster and Fainu have been the big names coming through Manly's junior system. By 2024 if Schuster fails, Fainu will be next cab off the rank at 5/8.

Weekes was also highly spoken of but, seems behind Toula who was the real star in that group.. Also interesting that Weekes has so far not been picked up beyond 2023. I was hoping he would fill in at centre but Manly seem to have committed itself to a Garrick-Toula combination (at least for now). Only positions left are wing and full back and if Turbo stays healthy that's the end of that position, though apparently Turbo has been spending quite a bit of time tutoring Weekes in the full back position (according to articles I've read).

We've seen nothing of Weekes at 5/8 and for most of his later time in the juniors was at full back. So we dont even know if he is up to the role in first grade. I want him to stay but I'm getting concerned that he may not have a position in the first grade side other than 14. One we may lose unfortunately.

I'd be quite surprised if Weekes gets a look in at 5/8 other than as a replacement. Manly has Schuster and the up and coming Latu Fainu who they paid big bucks to retain. Latu may convert to half, but both Schuster and Fainu have been the big names coming through Manly's junior system. By 2024 if Schuster fails, Fainu will be next cab off the rank at 5/8.

Weekes was also highly spoken of but, seems behind Toula who was the real star in that group.. Also interesting that Weekes has so far not been picked up beyond 2023. I was hoping he would fill in at centre but Manly seem to have committed itself to a Garrick-Toula combination (at least for now). Only positions left are wing and full back and if Turbo stays healthy that's the end of that position, though apparently Turbo has been spending quite a bit of time tutoring Weekes in the full back position (according to articles I've read).

We've seen nothing of Weekes at 5/8 and for most of his later time in the juniors was at full back. So we dont even know if he is up to the role in first grade. I want him to stay but I'm getting concerned that he may not have a position in the first grade side other than 14. One we may lose unfortunately.
I'm with you Bear when it comes to not knowing where Weekes fits in. I don't see him at 5/8 with the players in front of him and I don't see him at centre with Garrick supposedly being moved there. And even if he doesn't work there, does he leap frog Parks and Lionel when he's not proven there either? And at the risk of sounding heightest, I think he's too short for the modern day winger, despite his speed. Again, there are other wingers ahead of him. So if we want to keep him, 14 looks the best option but then how best to play him in that role??? Can we really afford to keep losing players with such potential??

Ok, real response - yes, there are absolutely exceptions but JOC has very high "other" qualities and I'm not convinced To'o is in the side for his ability under the high ball. But I could just be biased. Didn't he get found out a bit this year? Ok, Ok, so he won another Premiership but it helps to have very good players doing the work. Yeah, I know - I'm being a bit hard on him but how else am I going to make my argument sound credible?

It's the weight of Schuster's kicks that I'm more worried about.
I know it doesn't show of every aspect of a great kicking game but in the Samoa game he played in earlier in the year he was kicking almost pin point kicks to his outside backs while running full speed, it was quite impressive.

Only question that i would have for Weekes playing i st grade at 6 would be his defence or developing a stronger defensive game . Just have the notion that his junior background playing in the halves would enable him to adapt reasonably smoothly to a 6 role . certainly attacking wise .Doubtful that he will stay around as a 14 and with him being restricted to the backs . Would he at least match or do better then Lionel or Brad , could be quite a fair chance . Still can "t see how Garrick would be assured a starting centre 's position . Maybe a question before not too long , would Josh be at ease taking on the 13 role if Weekes "s ability and form warrants him in the starting line up somewhere and it is deemed not as a centre

Only question that i would have for Weekes playing i st grade at 6 would be his defence or developing a stronger defensive game . Just have the notion that his junior background playing in the halves would enable him to adapt reasonably smoothly to a 6 role . certainly attacking wise .Doubtful that he will stay around as a 14 and with him being restricted to the backs . Would he at least match or do better then Lionel or Brad , could be quite a fair chance . Still can "t see how Garrick would be assured a starting centre 's position . Maybe a question before not too long , would Josh be at ease taking on the 13 role if Weekes "s ability and form warrants him in the starting line up somewhere and it is deemed not as a centre
I'm still annoyed at Des for not giving Weekes more of a run when the season was over in 2022. Would have been nice to see him get 3 or 4 games at fullback.

Anyway, that's done.

Hopefully he can show us what he's made of in 2023.

Watching Weeks and Toula playing together in the lower grades a few years back is the only real comparison I have , Weeks at fullback , Toula in the centres. Toula was more likely to score a freak try, largely from his acceleration. Weeks was busier, not just playing FB , but he occasional occupied 1st receiver and did a bit with good passing and had game awareness. As mentioned a bloody shame he wasn't given the odd 1st grade game time. Maybe half the backline will be sidelined by round 10 and Weeks will actually be needed. Whatever the coaches decide I hope they keep encouraging him to aim high, so we at least have a better gauge on what he offers than 1 game in a flood. Same goes for Gordon , Latu and Fifita (man he can hit), with limited chances of making big signings (maybe) we need to get the most from our inhouse talent.

Would be nice for posts on this thread to get our players’ names right when analysing their abilities and prospects 🙄
Weekes and Koula please.

Last edited:
i don’t see word like you do, in the 70 s that made you a moron, later you were dyslexic , but people can view what you write as disrespectful, I’m sorry to offend anyone. Irony is it took me 30 minutes writing that paragraph , endless mistakes. I refrain from further posting, I thought this might happen.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8