The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So Schuster is contracted until 30th September 2024.

Apparently no other club is allowed to approach him for negotiations until 1st November 2023.

Why is his manager allowed to shop him around before that date?

The 1st November rule should apply to player managers too.

Where anywhere does it say his manager is shopping him around?

All the articles say is the Tigers are going thru a laundry list of halfs which Schu is one of them.

We need to settle.

Apparently no other club is allowed to approach him for negotiations until 1st November 2023.

A club can’t make a formal offer prior to November 1 the year before a player finishes their contract.There’s nothing saying a manager can’t shop around his client before then

All the articles say is the Tigers are going thru a laundry list of halfs which Schu is one of them.

We need to settle.
You’re correct, there is no evidence this was instigated by his manager but it’s easy to assume it was.

Even going back to the article going around pre-season about Schu being promised the 5/8th spot or he would walk can’t be attributed to any particular source but one could assume his manager was behind it.

I just wish the NRL would enforce the Nov 1 rule for everyone instead of letting managers, clubs & players treat it like a joke.

We need to settle.
I’d suggest his manager IS shopping him around but I agree,we need to settle.The Tigers aren’t going to come out and say they are targeting this,this and this player.It’ll all be manager talk,through the media to get Manly moving on an upgrade/extension

We need to settle.
No Club should be talking about a future signing of a player while they are still under contract till 2024 season.
media who reports this should also have the NRL asking where they heard this, if Tigers deny, shouldnt they take media to court for defamation?
big can of worms that wont be opened unless a lot of pressure from the fans of the game.

I am pretty sure that they can talk but they can't lodge a contract with the NRL until after that date.

I’d suggest his manager IS shopping him around but I agree,we need to settle.The Tigers aren’t going to come out and say they are targeting this,this and this player.It’ll all be manager talk,through the media to get Manly moving on an upgrade/extension

Great....any chance the manager could actually get said player to play some footy as well?

How do you propose they do that?A manager can make a call to a club or vice versa,and they could have a chat without the NRL knowing
In more professionally run sports they governing body does gather evidence and catches out the team/club or manager.
Examples are in NBA and NFL
Maybe the NRL needs to go on one of their fact-finding junkets to the states to learn how to run a competition.

You are allowed to talk to any player, anywhere, anytime. You are not allowed to entice them to break a contract early or provide a 'formal offer' 12 months before expiry of their current deal. Otherwise, you can chat to your heart's content.

As much as I hate managers, they are just doing their job.

I am not disparaging players, however, most would be on an average wage, like many of us, if it wasn’t for their NRL career with an $80k to $100k salary, as opposed to $350k+, albeit, the NRL and clubs do encourage further education, however, even then they wouldn’t earn close to what they do in the NRL.

Given injuries, the average career of an NRL player is extremely limited, maybe 5 years on average and many just waste it.

The Pacifica players tend (or do) to give tons of their money to their family, as it’s part of their culture, so they feel a deep obligation, and so the more they make, the more their family has.

How do you propose they do that?A manager can make a call to a club or vice versa,and they could have a chat without the NRL knowing
A club could contact a player directly at any time, regardless of the 1st Nov rule too.

What’s the point in having the rule if they won’t enforce it?

A club could contact a player directly at any time, regardless of the 1st Nov rule too.

What’s the point in having the rule if they won’t enforce it?
There is no rule saying you cannot talk. Manly could chat with Nathan Cleary about taking over in 2028, they just cannot draw up an official contract, nor entice him to leave early and agitate for a release.

It's not worth getting up in arms about rumours of players leaving, poaching, trades, etc. The Bulldogs and Roosters are showing the NRL that buying players does not guarantee success and Penrith and Melbourne are showing that losing big name players does not guarantee failure. We will be OK regardless of the transient nature of player contracts.

Agree. Look at Suli. next big thing. left us, and is drowning at the Goons. Players should look to the future and their improvement, then go for the big money.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7