The reinvention of Des

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I agree to an extent.

However, Des will have a much better squad to work with at Manly than what he had at the Dogs.

I think part of the point is ... that was a squad that Dessie had 100% say and 5 years to assemble ....

I have tried in vain several times to tell people that in my experience of 66 years I am yet to see the coach that has a magic wand ..... so many direct and indirect factors have to align for teams to be successful ...

But, Dessie has done it before .... so odds are better than even he can do it again ...... and hope is a narcotic we all love .....

He was always the best option his record coaching us and the muts say's that. Some are still upset (understandable) at how he left and others (like me) didn't believe Penn would appoint him. We all know his great record with us but if you believe the media and other people spinning it he was terrible at the dogs and is past it. I'll leave this link check it out I'll take his "terrible" (media and bulldogs driven) record from the dogs any day.
Not bad for a past it coach.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=8a1c41bc5bdbcd2856d3b1bb61b9a2b5-1540525072

I have been out of the loop a bit over the past month but I have a genuine question here.

6 months ago we're all laughing at the Bulldogs and Des's inability to coach in the modern game. Now he is the Messiah again. I feel like I'm missing something here? What's made everyone change their tunes?
Watching Manly this season under Barrett

Thank god Dessie is back

REVEALED: Des Hasler’s to-do list as Manly Sea Eagles coach

Finding some metre-eating wingers, moving players closer to training headquarters and implementing strict off-field disciplinary standards are at the top of Des Hasler’s to-do list as he reacquaints himself with the Manly set-up.

Hasler has spent the last few days poring over the Sea Eagles roster and checking out the facilities former coach Trent Barrett declared were below NRL standard.

The two-time premiership-winning coach has also been keen to listen and learn what has changed at the club he left in acrimonious circumstances seven years ago.

“He has spent this week confiding in associates close to the club for an update on where the club has changed since he left in 2011,” former Manly official Peter Peters confirmed.

“The picture he has had painted for him isn't a pretty one but one he isn't fazed about trying to rebuild.

“He likes the playing roster but knows where it is painfully weak. It is obvious defence and
potency on the wings is the worst in the NRL.”

Hasler wants to cut travel time for players to ensure they are kept as fresh as possible in the lead-up to training and games.

Several members of Manly’s NRL squad travel from the western suburbs of Sydney to faraway Narrabeen for training three or four times a week.

Hasler believes the long travel saps them of energy.

Zorba said: “Des is a firm believer that players who play for Manly should, if possible, live in the area.”

Hasler will also stiffen rules regarding player behaviour and lift off-field expectations.

“Hasler protects his players and sniffs out trouble before it occurs,” Peters said.

“He was the first coach to employ a travelling security guard for away games. Players would go out together and return by team bus together.

“The debacle which was Gladstone this year would never have happened under Hasler.

“He is the boss and the players know it. If he has issued a no go out edict then the players know the harsh consequences if they break the rules.”

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...barrett-to-do-list/1fd0ipaesjgjf1wlhyayzcfull

I have been out of the loop a bit over the past month but I have a genuine question here.

6 months ago we're all laughing at the Bulldogs and Des's inability to coach in the modern game. Now he is the Messiah again. I feel like I'm missing something here? What's made everyone change their tunes?

Its not Des per say, but rather the destruction of Barret that everyone is really happy with.

We all hope that Des forgets Desball and reinvents of course.

If Manly improve their fitness and game plan they will automatically be better, never again do I want to see a coach actively instructing his halves to kick for touch when we are behind in a game. Des I think will give the team the structure they badly need!

and Attitude

It really has been a most enjoyable week with the confirmation of Des as head coach and the additions so far to his team, it’s full steam ahead while Trent continues to work on the Penski file.
Just checked and it was only this Tuesday that the fear of 2019 was removed by the return of Desus.:angel:

Seems like the lost Baz years lasted only a minute on our 71 year timeline :happy:

While there is some slight negativity posted above about Des's ability to coach in the modern game and of course given the he was sacked from the dogs it's a valid concern.

My take is that Des does it Des's way with Des's men when and how Des wants too. When he went to the Dogs he took 'his team' with him to our anger and disgust. We were right to be angry but let's face it it happens all the time in the world of business and the NRL is now a business. CEO's , MD's and the like often take their team with them when they move.

Back to my point. The Dogs only really struggled when the board and Canterbury power brokers started meddling in the background. Crusher was shown the door. Even Donny was booted wasn't he? The Dogs started putting their people in the back office and that's when it really went bad.

The old team is back at Manly and fingers crossed they get the party started.

Dessie likes crisp service and tackling at hooker (Ballin was perfect), he is not a fan of running and creativity.

Cook was let go
Ennis was reinvigorated at the Sharks
Licha went backwards

The first two i agree with but Liccha went from starting no 9 this season to reserve grade by the end of the 2018 season without Des.

But like you i hope we don't stop Api's running next season

Des will be more keen than us to wade in and assemble a kickass roster :nod:

The 3 hour return travel time he would have wasted will all be channeled into Manly. :)

Love that Manly is already dismissed as a force by the Media. All the pressure will be on Bennett, Cleary, Maguire and Seibold :D

#UnderTheDemountables
Flying under the radar just the way Des likes it.

I think that is what we'll get.
The nutty professor would be been stung by his inability to win a comp with, and sacking by the dogs.
And the criticism he received for their style of play.
He does not like losing and his driven by success.
Therefore he would have spent the last 18 months or so in his lab in the basement reinventing his way back.
Reinventing the game.
Can't wait to see the product.
Interested as to why you think that....if so you would think that he would surround himself with new guys(Kite/Gifty/Beaver who would bring in new ideas) and while there more be more signings to come,he seems to have surrounded himself with guys from 15 years ago(maybe past it,maybe not,I hope not for our sake),it seems to suggest no new ideas..?It raises another interesting point,people seem to think we have been recruiting players no one else wants,so why would Des recruit coaching staff guys unemployed that no one else wants?People here don't accept excuses so why are you so eager to accept excuses for his poor performances the last couple of years at the dogs?Klemmer to 13,Lichaa to just defend and pass,Stanley to 6 as a last resort to score points for a failing offense,Eastwood backended to 700K a year,not really genius moves?Please don't tell me he took a Dogs team with no talent and overachieved,they had a lot of talent.I hope Des is a success,but I am not putting blind faith in him,maybe a packed Brookie oval(Lottoland)by signing Des might help more(smart move Penns,but lets not suggest that,it is not pc).Getting on the Des bus is good,but another Manly DNA man Ivan Cleary just jumped off his own bus.Des will still need a leadership group to support his bus and apart from maybe Tom and Jake(maybe/maybe not),not sure who the next Gifty,Snake,Foz,Watmough will be,he only signed a 3 year contract.I hope for this club I love he has some DNA still there and we are just not a last paycheck.(and no,I am not a Barrett lover,so please don't go down that pathetic path....)

Interested as to why you think that....if so you would think that he would surround himself with new guys(Kite/Gifty/Beaver who would bring in new ideas) and while there more be more signings to come,he seems to have surrounded himself with guys from 15 years ago(maybe past it,maybe not,I hope not for our sake),it seems to suggest no new ideas..?It raises another interesting point,people seem to think we have been recruiting players no one else wants,so why would Des recruit coaching staff guys unemployed that no one else wants?People here don't accept excuses so why are you so eager to accept excuses for his poor performances the last couple of years at the dogs?Klemmer to 13,Lichaa to just defend and pass,Stanley to 6 as a last resort to score points for a failing offense,Eastwood backended to 700K a year,not really genius moves?Please don't tell me he took a Dogs team with no talent and overachieved,they had a lot of talent.I hope Des is a success,but I am not putting blind faith in him,maybe a packed Brookie oval(Lottoland)by signing Des might help more(smart move Penns,but lets not suggest that,it is not pc).Getting on the Des bus is good,but another Manly DNA man Ivan Cleary just jumped off his own bus.Des will still need a leadership group to support his bus and apart from maybe Tom and Jake(maybe/maybe not),not sure who the next Gifty,Snake,Foz,Watmough will be,he only signed a 3 year contract.I hope for this club I love he has some DNA still there and we are just not a last paycheck.(and no,I am not a Barrett lover,so please don't go down that pathetic path....)
Glad you asked TL.
The title of the thread is fairly self explanatory. But going further, Des is a major competitor.
It's what drives him.
It drove him as a player to turn up, I believe uninvited, to a trial game of touch against the slime, and be noticed by the great bozo.
The one thing Des would hate is the accusations he's lost touch with the game.
That would burn with him.
The rorters tactics in the GF proves that he has not.
They replicated us in 08.
Kicking deep to the corner , pinning studs up down, giving them no room.
Similar but of course, not as good a result.
Des just won't rest and as such will reinvent.

Glad you asked TL.
The title of the thread is fairly self explanatory. But going further, Des is a major competitor.
It's what drives him.
It drove him as a player to turn up, I believe uninvited, to a trial game of touch against the slime, and be noticed by the great bozo.
The one thing Des would hate is the accusations he's lost touch with the game.
That would burn with him.
The rorters tactics in the GF proves that he has not.
They replicated us in 08.
Kicking deep to the corner , pinning studs up down, giving them no room.
Similar but of course, not as good a result.
Des just won't rest and as such will reinvent.
Again mate,what evidence.......? simple question.....

Lucky I'm up late tonight and in a reasonable mood to deal with a troll.
Look, your very very simple question has already been answered.
The kennel is waiting for your return.
Go back there before security gets an alert.

The example he’s graciously provided you with regarding the Rorters GF tactics this year is an absolute ripper. (and very astutely spotted HE) If that’s too difficult for you to get your head around, then go back and read what he’s posted regarding Des Hasler’s character again. Pretty simple really.

Don't worry,sweet cheeks,I am a Manly man for many years,just because I don't agree with your opinion does not mean you should cry Troll.Funny you want to shout down anyone who disagrees with you(shoe on the other foot?)Just because you are up and pissed does not mean you can't be questioned.....Des has a lot to prove to all Manly fans,get your head around that Chief......Zimbalist was right,this is going to be fun lolPlease,show me your unreasonable side....

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11