Time for the Bulldogs and Hasler to part ways

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Things are hotting up in the press now with rumours And articles about this situation. I can't believe the dogs would cut Hasler. Surely they are not that stupid.
I don't think Board members like Steve Mortimer are stupid people . They know their football.

I don't know mate that slimey turdberg and his club chopped our grass so I'd say they had a fairly big part in it aswell but yes we did shoot ourselves royally but as has been proven now des doesn't play well with others ....

Love Him, Hate him, or Indifferent. Des is a great NRL coach. The current bloke, who knows. If Bozo wants him back it will happen.

Canberra assistant coach Dean Pay tipped to replace Des Hasler as Bulldogs coach.........
HE’S as Canterbury as Belmore Oval with a coaching resume which boasts the game’s most-gifted NRL stars including David Klemmer, Jack Bird, Luke Brooks, Boyd Cordner and Jake Trbojevic.

Now current NSW under-20s and Canberra Raiders assistant coach Dean Pay is firmly in the sights of a Bulldogs board preparing to make an extraordinary call on the coaching tenure of Des Hasler at a 4pm meeting on Friday.

Pay, undefeated as coach of the next-generation Blues since 2011, heads a list of potential replacements should Hasler and the club part ways.

Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib will fly into Sydney from overseas on Thursday morning just in time to take control of one of the most important board meetings in the Dogs 81-year history.

It’s widely considered that Hasler’s position is virtually untenable and that he will only remain on as head coach in 2017, as contracted, should the board fail to reach a financial settlement worth close to $1.2 million.

The Bulldogs’ pressure on Hasler began four weeks ago and it has intensified ever since.

It began following their limp exit from week one of the finals against Penrith, which led to a backlash from fans and members.

In reaction, management instructed a major shake-up of Hasler’s coaching staff, leading to close mate and recruitment manager Noel Cleal being let go.

Hasler was gutted by the decision.

Sports psychologist John Novak was also relinquished from his role.

The board also declared that under their instruction, Hasler would need to adopt a greater focus and attention towards developing Canterbury’s local juniors into NRL stars.

But the greatest indication of the Canterbury management’s position beyond 2017 has been highlighted by Hasler’s protracted contract negotiations for 2018.

Despite an incredible and enviable record of making the finals every year since his arrival from Manly in 2012 and two grand final appearances in 2012 and 2014, Hasler’s 2016 season has been mired by criticism from the club’s most respected figures.
The Daily Telegraph has learned that the Bulldogs see Pay as the perfect solution to solving their culture crisis.

And while contracted until the end of 2018 alongside Ricky Stuart at the Raiders, it’s unlikely the Canberra board would halt his career progression, should the Dogs hierarchy come knocking.

One of the toughest and most skilful-forwards to wear the Bulldogs blue and white jersey during the early 1990s, Pay played for Australia and NSW and such was his brutal defence, he famously broke the ribs of Brisbane’s Shane Webcke in the 1995 semi-finals
Not only does he boast an undefeated strike-rate with the NSW under-20s, Pay has also even credited by Stuart on several occasions this year as a key influence on the Raiders improved defence and surge up the NRL ladder.

Due to his strong ties to the club, Potter’s name has also been mentioned at board level.

Having joined the Knights to work alongside Nathan Brown after being sacked by the Wests Tigers in difficult circumstances, Potter — who won two premiership with the Bulldogs in 1984 and 1985 — would also be granted permission to meet with the Bulldogs by Newcastle administration.

Bulldogs have certainly adopted Manly's culture, that of undermining a performing coach and sending them packing. This is similar to how Toovs was punted. I hope we get Dessie back

Competitions are hard to win when you have a team playing one out hit ups and are very predictable .

Swish.

This is the main gripe the fans have. Our play style revolves around completions and that if you complete above 80%, a win will probably just happen.

Except that that obviously doesn't always work.

Sure you need to concentrate on completing sets and minimising errors. But you also need to be able to play what is in front of you. Des enforces insanely strict structures that prevent the team from doing this. The hooker must always simply pass the ball (mostly to a prop), the halves basically do the same and every 5th tackle there is a cross field bomb/chip that has a low probability of going dead.

Penrith really drove home how single minded our play is. They had our whole team gassed in about 15 minutes during that final by taking a tackle on the 5th and never allowing play to stop.

Des had nothing. The team had nothing because of how they have been coached for years.

Just look at how Ennis went after being able to have more freedom, he had arguably the best two years of his career. He even commented publicly that it was nice to be able to play how he saw fit, rather than to be told how to play.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Des is a **** coach. I just think he has made a lot of errors since 2012. He has let some of the wrong people go (Ennis, Pritchard, Finucane, Cook and Hodko too maybe but that is debatable) he has hired the wrong people (Lichaa and the Part Timer) and he has dug himself a great big hole that I do not see how he can get out of it. I just can't see how he can, or will be able to change our whole structure in one off season and I can't see him getting the players to buy into doing the same thing all over again.

I am still absolutely seething about the Hopoate situation as well, which Des allowed to happen. As far as I can see, he failed to attract a proper fullback since Barba left and realised that Bmoz's body cannot hold up to all of that running so he got what he could and Hoppa knew he could force the Dogs hand due to their desperation and get a crazy contract clause. No amount of politician style press releases saying everyone at the club backs this decision will sway me on how bad of a decision this has been since day 1 and you cannot convince me the players are actually happy about it. We went into an elimination final without the guy who played #1 almost the entire year because he didn't want to play. This is a professional sport, and that is not professional. If Graham really did go off at Hoppa then good on him, someone had too.

I firmly believe the only way forward for my club is to cut our losses and rebuild. We may take a while to find our new groove, but at least it will give us hope that things are on the incline again.

Wow, Turvey is doing a lot of talking in public prior to the meeting.

Not a good look for a board member.

Yeah I am not really happy about this from Turves. The only thing I can think of is that he is trying to sway the decision because there is a chance the board are going to re-sign Des?

The club is going to lose a lot of members (me included) if that happens.

Interesting times indeed!!

However I cannot see in any situation how Ha$ler would want, or be allowed, to return to Manly.

At the Bulldogs he has unlimited budgets, almost total power, something he wouldn't get at Manly.

Lots on here love him,but after he shat in his nest here before leaving it's a massive NO from me.

I'm waivering on renewing my membership already, this would probably be the straw that would break the camels back as far as this is concerned .

CANTERBURY chairman Ray Dib has guaranteed Des Hasler will be head coach next season and plans to censure club legend Steve Mortimer for saying the Bulldogs were “losing our DNA’’.

Some iron-willed directors want to extend Hasler’s contract to the end of 2019, while others want Hasler gone.

The drama will come to a head at a 4pm board on Friday as the club attempts to resolve an issue that has split the ‘family club’.

Dib was upset that Mortimer broke ranks to publicly to claim he would stand down as a director should the club re-sign Hasler.

“He was out of order,” Dib said.

Hasler declined to comment on Thursday. The Daily Telegraph understands he wouldn’t accept an extension offer that carried stipulations about finishing in the top four each season. Four members of Hasler’s staff have already been forced out.

The Daily Telegraph understands Dib wants to re-sign Hasler but other directors, including Mortimer, want the coach to quit.

“We’ve got unfinished business,” Dib told The Daily Telegraph. “I would like to see Des there for at least 2017, absolutely, if not longer.”

Dib refused to admit the contract dispute had become messy.

“When you say messy, what are you referring to?”

Dib was then told the contract to Hasler was offered, agreed on and then withdrawn after the season. The contract had even made it to Hasler’s lawyers.

“I understand what you are saying but, to be fair, the coach is the most important employee of any club. You know what we’re doing? The board are having robust discussions. We will consider the options,” Dib said.

On Friday Dib will speak with Mortimer, who has threatened to walk away from his position if Hasler is handed a new contract.

“I think he has spoken out of order,” Dib said.

“I respect him as a passionate Hall of Famer of our club. He is passionate bloke. I don’t know why (he said it) but I’ll be catching up with him as well. I just need to hear his reasons and get some clarity over some of his comments. I haven’t seen the newspapers but I have heard a lot of rumours and heard what’s been said.”

Dib, who returned from a brief overseas trip on Thursday, has been in constant contact with Hasler.

Dib said he “absolutely’’ guaranteed Hasler will be coach next season.

“Des will be there for 2017, regardless, he will be there,’’ Dib said. “He is contracted. I would like to see Des there for at least 2017, absolutely, if not longer.

“(This) is a meeting for me to get up to speed with negotiations. I have been away. This was a meeting that was pre-planned so we will be updated by Raelene (Castle, CEO) about how things are progressing with Des and his management

“He is a great coach but we haven’t had the success we wanted this year. We are disappointed in this year, so is Des and the players. No questions about that. We’ve got unfinished business, mate.

“But one thing I want to make very clear, the club is bigger than anyone. My motto is very simple, the club comes first, the team comes second, individuals come third, including Ray Dib, Des Hasler, Raelene Castle and the board. That’s the way I base my decisions and encourage board decisions — based on that motto.”

Dib was unwilling to guarantee Hasler’s two-year extension.

“I don’t know where the contract negotiations are up to. There has been a lot of talk and a lot of different negotiations that are continuing so I will get up-to-date.’’

Going by dogs chairman Dib latest press release Hasler will be at the Dogs next season .

That will really make it interesting on the kennel, but I'm not going back in .... the horror, the horror!

Response from the kennel after Dibs press announcement that Des will remain at Belmore in 2017....

Fck off

Get fcked mate

Ray Dib can get fcked no one talks to Turvey like that.

dib is a grub

Can u believe this fck! Fck off

Ray Dib can fck off and take Hasler with him. Turvey has passion in the club and actually knows what he is talking about.

Go fck you self dib.

If this clown gets his way, you won't be the only one going that way.... Fcking pathetic!

Dib can fck off to Manly with Des!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8