Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
When will Gallop and the media learn. Carney will lose his license and that should have been the end of the story.

It's a little more complex than that. The NRL has to decide whether it can afford to have a serial drink driver and criminal drunk as one of its most readily identifiable 'heroes'.

They probably wish it was something easier to hide, but continuing to get police charges puts the NRL leadership right in the spotlight.

I wonder if David Kneejerk is walking the floor of his office so he can make the right decision as he stated in an ealier matter? ???

My understanding is that Carney is still on the NRL promo advert. Correct me if I am wrong here.

The double standards here are ridiculous. Cannot wait for Gallop to be slapped with the question of how Carney can get off with essentially a slap on the wrist for a charge he has admitted to with his rap sheet, and Stewart cops a pasting for something he didn't even do, not only that but the $300,000 legal bill footed out of his own pocket.

PLEASE EXPLAIN GALLOP.

Drinking and catching a cab home is 4 week suspension, a 100k fine and banning from NRL ads for a player and team regarded at the time as models and cleanskins.

Drinking, driving DUI and being caught by police is no suspension, $10k fine, and inclusion in NRL ads for a player and team with a long list of breaches, law breaking, DUI convictions.

PLEASE EXPLAIN GALLOP

Sydney Roosters star Todd Carney has been fined $10,000 and has been warned his NRL career is in jeopardy in the wake of his drink driving charge.

Carney met with NRL chief executive David Gallop on Thursday, who accepted the halfback would be fined by his club and undertake a five-point plan aimed at keeping him on the rails.

It includes attending counselling, a traffic offenders' course, work with alcohol support groups and tertiary education.

Carney added to his long history of alcohol-related misbehaviour when he was charged after returning a low range positive reading to drink driving on Saturday while on a provisional drivers licence.

In a statement, Gallop noted Carney was caught when driving the morning after drinking but made it clear he faced a second period of de-registration if there were any more off-field incidents.

"In this instance there is an advertent rather than deliberate element to his actions last Saturday morning but, nevertheless, Todd placed his safety and the safety of others at risk," Gallop said.

"The courts will take their own view on that matter, but there's also no escaping the poor record that Todd must deal with during his time in the game.

"Todd has to understand that the next suspension he faces for off-field misconduct and in particular alcohol abuse will go far beyond one or two matches, both for his benefit and the benefit of the game.

"It is now very much up to Todd to determine whether this is a stumble along the way or a complete loss of direction.

"If it is the latter then he has to understand that there is simply no place in the game for him."

The Roosters said their welfare and education manager Brian Sinclair would oversee Carney's program and provide fortnightly reports to club chief executive Steve Noyce, who would report on to the NRL.

"Failure of Todd to meet any aspect of the plan will be considered a serious breach of his contract which may lead to its termination," warned Noyce.

"Todd understands that he has made a mistake and has worked in consultation with the club to create a plan that includes his own personal development.

"He is aware of the ramifications of not completing this program and it is now up to him to put these words into action."

Well at least they fined him big time. But if he is caught drink driving again, will they remember?

\"Todd understands that he has made a mistake and has worked in consultation with the club to create a plan that includes his own personal development\"

... cool, is he going for a job or something at NRL HQ?
oh wait he's in trouble? well not really, you see its ok to DUI and get caught, but you have to understand that for David, it is really up to Todd to decide if it is a
\"a stumble along the way or a complete loss of direction.\"

wtf?? I thought he was driving, surely he knew which way he was going? or maybe he was too drunk.

How is $10k fining him big time? Mere petty cash for Carney.

$100k fine for Manly, and there were no convictions, no DUI, no risking of other people's lives.  That is in addition to a four week suspension for Brett, zero for Carney.

Gallop believes Carney's intoxication was deliberate and blindly takes Carney's word that his DUI was accidental? So that's not serious?  Where was this soft stance with Stewart, a cleanskin, where there was no DUI, no risking of others' lives?

For Carney to blow over .05 in the morning, what must he have drunk the night before?  Legless wouldn't even come close. The alternative is he got drunk in the morning, and then he drove.  Quite possible.  And Gallop and Carney both know Carney as a "P" plater would have been driving DUI with a fifth of his alcohol reading in his blood.  Ignorance cannot be an excuse for Carney of all people.  

It seems the difference is Gallop got his opportunity to big note his ego by arranging a press-reported meeting to personally assess Carney.  As if Gallop has any expertise at all in this area.

FFS Rex and everyone else. Let's not exaggerate when we post. The $100.000 fine was for not policing the consumption of alcohol at a club function. It's plausible we would have received said fine regardless due to the fact Watmough ploughed his fist into a sponsors nose.

I wonder in the meeting between Carney & Gallop which one will be the female and recieve - my money is on Gallop taking it all the way from Carney

Fonz link said:
FFS Rex and everyone else. Let's not exaggerate when we post. The $100.000 fine was for not policing the consumption of alcohol at a club function. It's plausible we would have received said fine regardless due to the fact Watmough ploughed his fist into a sponsors nose.

Do you think the 2009 Manly squad are the only players to ever get pissed at a club function??  Watmough wasn't suspended by the NRL, so I think it is highly unlikely we would have been fined if not for Stewart's charge.

In relation to Carney, I think each case should be judged on its merits.  Just because the NRL monumentally stuffed up with Snake doesn't mean it would make it better if they go excessively hard on Carney as well.

Apart from him still appearing in the ads, I think the NRL have got it about right in this case.  The problem is the massive overreaction to the events of the 2009 season launch.  That can't be undone by more massive overreactions in future.

MadMarcus link said:
[quote author=Fonz link=topic=186624.msg319377#msg319377 date=1299125883]

Do you think the 2009 Manly squad are the only players to ever get pissed at a club function??  Watmough wasn't suspended by the NRL, so I think it is highly unlikely we would have been fined if not for Stewart's charge.

In relation to Carney, I think each case should be judged on its merits.  Just because the NRL monumentally stuffed up with Snake doesn't mean it would make it better if they go excessively hard on Carney as well.

Apart from him still appearing in the ads, I think the NRL have got it about right in this case.  The problem is the massive overreaction to the events of the 2009 season launch.  That can't be undone by more massive overreactions in future.
[/quote]
100% agree

And with Brett, it can't be undone, but it can be acknowledged.  And until they do, until they stop claiming their decision was 100% correct with Stewart and Manly, then the divide in treatment is cavernous. And the trust of the NRL and Gallop is zero.

Does Gallop have enough class to admit error?

Are there any journalists with the class to expose the divide and put the pressure on the NRL to clarify?

MadMarcus link said:
Do you think the 2009 Manly squad are the only players to ever get pissed at a club function??  Watmough wasn't suspended by the NRL, so I think it is highly unlikely we would have been fined if not for Stewart's charge.

No i don't think that they are the only ones to get drunk at a club function but they are the only one to assault a sponsor at one.

Fonz link said:
[quote author=MadMarcus link=topic=186624.msg319393#msg319393 date=1299127816]

No i don't think that they are the only ones to get drunk at a club function but they are the only one to assault a sponsor at one.
[/quote]

And I have often wondered how much of an effect this has had towards no major sponsor being found for this year.

Fonz link said:

This is Gallop's statement from http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/11/2513133.htm

"Brett could not have been in a more high profile position of trust for the game on the eve of a season than he was last week and we believe he should have recognised the honour that he was given and the responsibility that went with it," NRL chief executive David Gallop said in a statement.

"By any estimation there was an abuse of alcohol in the aftermath of a club function that has led in some part to the game being placed under enormous pressure.

"The players and the clubs need to know that we are not going to accept that.

"The Manly club has today delivered its report into the function and the measures simply weren't sufficient to stop drinking getting out of hand in the case of some of the players. Brett was both refused service of alcohol and asked leave the premises.

"This should serve as a warning to all clubs going forward and we note that Manly has already flagged a new policy around future events.

"Manly has also undertaken to review its on-going stance in relation to Brett playing after round five on the basis of any new information that may come to light."

The Watmough sponsor incident didn't even rate a mention.  Do you still really think we would have been fined if Snake wasn't accused of sexual assault?  The real reason we were fined because the NRL asked us to suspend Snake for 4 weeks and we refused.  Gallop's response was.... 
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIVHNylH1Mk[/youtube]

Anyone who thinks the $100k fine would have occurred without the now-discredited sexual assault allegations lives on a different planet.

So get back in Uranus.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8