Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
An article from todays SMH

Tom Wright knocks back chance of Olympic gold to join Manly Sea Eagles
Date
August 22, 2015 - 5:05PM
Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

• For Tom Wright, the lure of an Olympic gold medal wasn't as strong as the opportunity to become Manly's long-term replacement for Kieran Foran.

Ever since YouTube footage emerged of the St Joseph's College student carving up opposition defences in rugby sevens tournaments, Wright has been the most sought-after youngster in either rugby code.

Nine NRL clubs were initially jockeying for his signature before he whittled his decision down to a choice of four. However, the more difficult decision was knocking back a rich ARU contract to join the sevens circuit, the carrot being a berth at next year's Rio Olympics.

"That was one of the really difficult decisions," Wright said.

"As a young kid, to be travelling the world at 18, going to Las Vegas and Japan would be pretty amazing. The reason I turned it down is it's a bit of a party lifestyle. It's obviously a serious career and is full on but in terms of long-term security it didn't offer a lot, as opposed to Manly and the pathway they provided.

"Bob Fulton and [incoming coach] Trent [Barrett] impacted on that decision as well. The words of two greats of the game were big for me."

The Sea Eagles began wooing Wright in May, inviting him to the owner's box and the dressing sheds for their Mother's Day clash against Newcastle. A meeting with league Immortal Fulton and a series of phone chats with Barrett helped seal the deal. The latter remained in touch as Wright suffered a medial knee injury which required surgery during the week.

"We've been in contact fairly regularly and he's double checked on me and my injury numerous times," he said.

"He's been really diligent, he didn't just speak to me once and brush me off, he texted me and was asking me how I was going, whether I needed anything."

Foran's departure to arch rivals Parramatta has opened up a vacancy for the No..hs6 jersey. While Wright may not be ready to fill it immediately, the chance to play alongside Daly Cherry-Evans in the halves is a goal.

"That would be an amazing opportunity," he said. "But I just need to get my injury right at the moment, settle down and play some consistent football.

"If Trent is happy with the way I'm playing it all goes from there, then it's in his hands. If he gives me that opportunity, I'll take it with both hands."

The footage of Wright's Sevens exploits has quickly gone viral. But the footage of him playing the 15-man game, which was sent to club recruiters, is even more impressive. Even with an additional eight defenders on the field, the lightning playmaker has a knack for finding space.

"I've played rugby league and rugby union since I was five years old, every week I used to play three or four games and couldn't get enough of it," he said.

Wright isn't the only member of his family making his mark in football. His younger brother attends is a member of the Roosters' development under 15s squad.

"He loves playing the game," said Wright, who signed his three-year Sea Eagles contract following a break in school exams.

"Like me, he loves playing the game. If he succeeds and wants to take his football to the next level, I'd encourage that and help him out whenever I can."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...sea-eagles-20150822-gj5dt0.html#ixzz3jWxhFNYz
      Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

An article from todays SMH

Tom Wright knocks back chance of Olympic gold to join Manly Sea Eagles
Date
August 22, 2015 - 5:05PM
Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

• For Tom Wright, the lure of an Olympic gold medal wasn't as strong as the opportunity to become Manly's long-term replacement for Kieran Foran.

Ever since YouTube footage emerged of the St Joseph's College student carving up opposition defences in rugby sevens tournaments, Wright has been the most sought-after youngster in either rugby code.

Nine NRL clubs were initially jockeying for his signature before he whittled his decision down to a choice of four. However, the more difficult decision was knocking back a rich ARU contract to join the sevens circuit, the carrot being a berth at next year's Rio Olympics.

"That was one of the really difficult decisions," Wright said.

"As a young kid, to be travelling the world at 18, going to Las Vegas and Japan would be pretty amazing. The reason I turned it down is it's a bit of a party lifestyle. It's obviously a serious career and is full on but in terms of long-term security it didn't offer a lot, as opposed to Manly and the pathway they provided.

"Bob Fulton and [incoming coach] Trent [Barrett] impacted on that decision as well. The words of two greats of the game were big for me."

The Sea Eagles began wooing Wright in May, inviting him to the owner's box and the dressing sheds for their Mother's Day clash against Newcastle. A meeting with league Immortal Fulton and a series of phone chats with Barrett helped seal the deal. The latter remained in touch as Wright suffered a medial knee injury which required surgery during the week.

"We've been in contact fairly regularly and he's double checked on me and my injury numerous times," he said.

"He's been really diligent, he didn't just speak to me once and brush me off, he texted me and was asking me how I was going, whether I needed anything."

Foran's departure to arch rivals Parramatta has opened up a vacancy for the No..hs6 jersey. While Wright may not be ready to fill it immediately, the chance to play alongside Daly Cherry-Evans in the halves is a goal.

"That would be an amazing opportunity," he said. "But I just need to get my injury right at the moment, settle down and play some consistent football.

"If Trent is happy with the way I'm playing it all goes from there, then it's in his hands. If he gives me that opportunity, I'll take it with both hands."

The footage of Wright's Sevens exploits has quickly gone viral. But the footage of him playing the 15-man game, which was sent to club recruiters, is even more impressive. Even with an additional eight defenders on the field, the lightning playmaker has a knack for finding space.

"I've played rugby league and rugby union since I was five years old, every week I used to play three or four games and couldn't get enough of it," he said.

Wright isn't the only member of his family making his mark in football. His younger brother attends is a member of the Roosters' development under 15s squad.

"He loves playing the game," said Wright, who signed his three-year Sea Eagles contract following a break in school exams.

"Like me, he loves playing the game. If he succeeds and wants to take his football to the next level, I'd encourage that and help him out whenever I can."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...sea-eagles-20150822-gj5dt0.html#ixzz3jWxhFNYz
      Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook
Thanks for that insight. What it does highlight is the draw card Trent and DCE will be for future recruitment.

Just got around to watching the kid's highlight reel. Can't really take much from a rugby 7s tournament, especially when it looked like a full-grown man matched up against a pack of enthusiastic midgets, but I've had a soft spot for the chip and chase ever since Phil Blake so he looked alright to me. Was surprised by his size but his footwork and build (especially his giant arse) reminded me of Joey Johns.

Just got around to watching the kid's highlight reel. Can't really take much from a rugby 7s tournament, especially when it looked like a full-grown man matched up against a pack of enthusiastic midgets, but I've had a soft spot for the chip and chase ever since Phil Blake so he looked alright to me. Was surprised by his size but his footwork and build (especially his giant arse) reminded me of Joey Johns.

The highlights package in the SMH article is actually 15 v 15. Still schoolboy rugby though.

Young Wright has a lot of Thurston about him, with that jinking manner and speed. My only concern would be those knees of his and whether they will be able to stand up to the rigours of regular first grade. I remember Johnny Gibbs and Mal Reilly. But he has beautiful hands and seems to have a sense when to pass and when to jink. How will big forwards like JWH treat him though?

I am hearing the club has signed this kid for $180 000 a season. Stupid when he hasn't played NRL before. If he was any good the ARU would be stepping in and wrapping this kid up, they don't like losing good talent, including the top rugby school Joeys to league. His Manager has done well for him, pushed him out there, got the video to the clubs etc, but Its a shame for the halves in the u20s they must not be on the club's top list, they have come through the system. Pearsall is off contract this season

I am hearing the club has signed this kid for $180 000 a season. Stupid when he hasn't played NRL before. If he was any good the ARU would be stepping in and wrapping this kid up, they don't like losing good talent, including the top rugby school Joeys to league. His Manager has done well for him, pushed him out there, got the video to the clubs etc, but Its a shame for the halves in the u20s they must not be on the club's top list, they have come through the system. Pearsall is off contract this season
That's not that much considering boom youngsters from Holden Cup command upwards of 200.

That's not that much considering boom youngsters from Holden Cup command upwards of 200.
Thats true but its a lot for a kid who has never played NRL before, you don't know what his defence is like, the speed of the game etc. Its a lot different playing kick, kick than league and he has never gone through the league system

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8