Tony Mestrov

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So are you or aren't you saying that we should immediately sack the coach, all assistants, all support staff, 7 starting players, all recruitment team, re-write the history books and convince the CEO to sell?

Or was that all hyperbole designed to get a reaction?

Well obviously all of what I said is not going to happen. As stated, hyperbole. But there is an element of truth in all of it. Something major needs to happen, simple as that.

Oh, and in my view, it all starts with Mestrov, cracking MANY whips !

Last edited:
Onya @Cameron . You've recently suggested Des Hasler is a better coach than Bob Fulton (despite their win% being vastly different), so your opinion in my view is well and truly up that stanky arse of yours.

I also don't recall player revolts under Fulton.

You're a dribbler.
No player revolts at manly under hasler. The players love him look at how he has protected the 7. Look at how he fights for his players.

Ok here you go you've made me do it.
Bob Fulton 13 seasons as coach
5 grand finals
2 premierships
Lost the 1987 world club challenge
Missed the finals twice keeping in mind 1998 we finished 10th but made the finals.
(Over half over those season there was no salary cap and we bought players at will. In 1983 we had the Australian hooker in reserve grade and had 13 internationals at the club.) The front office was run like a tight ship under Arko then doug Daley then Frank Stanton.

Des hasler
12 seasons
3 grand finals
2 premierships
1 world club challenge
Missed finals 2004, 2020 and 2022

Unlike the late great Bozo, des has had to work within a very strict salary cap.

He had to rebuild the squad post Northern Eagles and he has had to contend with

Delmege Vs Penn
Penn Vs everyone else
Atleast 8 different CEOs And front office that at times has been basket case.

So when it comes to history at Manly Des and Bozo are neck and neck. I have des In front only because he didn't have the cheque book bozo had.

Lets play a game i will give you a list of the players manly bought in bozos first stint.

Chris close played for qld
John ribot had played for qld and aus
Kerry beaustead qld and aus
Noel cleal nsw and aus
Dave brown qld
Col drier
James leuliai nz international.
Ian Schubert
Phil sigsworth nsw
Tony melrose
Andy godway
Marty Gurr
Dale Sheraer qld
Mitchell cox
Cliff Lyons
Steve gerrin
Ron Gibbs nsw and australia
Micheal O'Connor nsw and australia
Kevin Ward gb international
Darrell Williams kiwi international
Joe ropati. Kiwi international

Now that was Bozo's first stint. Keeping in mind the year before he took over we were defeated in the Grand Final by parramatta.

Now compared that to what des bought to take us from 14th under sharp in 2003 to premiers in 2008 and tell me who had the easier job talent wise.
  1. Ian Donnelly 2004
  2. Daniel Heckenberg 2004
  3. Chris Hicks 2004
  4. Nathan Hollingsworth 2004
  5. Kylie Leuluai 2004
  6. Michael Monaghan 2004
  7. Jye Mullane 2004
  8. Paul Stephenson 2004
  9. Andrew Walker 2004
  10. Kane Cleal 2004
  11. Nathan Tutt 2004
  12. Jeff Robson 2004
  13. David Warry 2004
  14. Nick Bradley-Qalilawa 2004
  15. Nick Paterson 2004
  16. Mark Lennon 2004
  17. Michael Witt 2005
  18. Brent Kite 2005
  19. Ben Kennedy 2005
  20. Jim Curtis 2005
  21. Mark Bryant 2005
  22. Ashley Alberts 2005
  23. Travis Burns 2005
  24. Steven Bell 2006
  25. Matt Orford 2006
  26. Michael Robertson 2006
  27. George Rose 2006
  28. Glenn Hall 2007
  29. Jamie Lyon 2007
  30. Jack Afamasaga 2007
  31. Sione Finefeuiaki 2007
  32. Josh Perry 2008
  33. David Vaealiki 2008
  34. Heath L'Estrange 2008
One again @Merchant Of Doom you have been proven to be a clueless goose.

No player revolts at manly under hasler. The players love him look at how he has protected the 7. Look at how he fights for his players.

5 grand finals
2 premierships
Missed the finals twice keeping in mind 1998 we finished 10th but made the finals.
(Over half over those season there was no salary cap and we bought players at will. In 1983 we had the Australian hooker in reserve grade and had 13 internationals at the club.) The front office was run like a tight ship under Arko then doug Daley then Frank Stanton.

Des hasler
12 seasons
3 grand finals
2 premierships
1 world club challenge

Unlike the late great Bozo, des has had to work within a very strict salary cap.

Delmege Vs Penn
Penn Vs everyone else

So when it comes to history at Manly Des and Bozo are neck and neck. I have des In front only because he didn't have the cheque book bozo had.

Lets play a game i will give you a list of the players manly bought in bozos first stint.

Noel cleal nsw and aus
Dave brown qld
Col drier
Ian Schubert
Phil sigsworth nsw
Tony melrose
Andy godway
Marty Gurr
Dale Sheraer qld
Mitchell cox
Cliff Lyons
Steve gerrin

Now that was Bozo's first stint. Keeping in mind the year before he took over we were defeated in the Grand Final by parramatta.

Now compared that to what des bought to take us from 14th under sharp in 2003 to premiers in 2008 and tell me who had the easier job talent wise.
  1. Ian Donnelly 2004
  3. Chris Hicks 2004
  5. Kylie Leuluai 2004
  6. Michael Monaghan 2004
  7. Jye Mullane 2004
  8. Paul Stephenson 2004
  9. Andrew Walker 2004
  10. Kane Cleal 2004
  11. Nathan Tutt 2004
  12. Jeff Robson 2004
  13. David Warry 2004
  15. Nick Paterson 2004
  16. Mark Lennon 2004
  17. Michael Witt 2005
  18. Brent Kite 2005
  19. Ben Kennedy 2005
  20. Jim Curtis 2005
  21. Mark Bryant 2005
  22. Ashley Alberts 2005
  23. Travis Burns 2005
  24. Steven Bell 2006
  25. Matt Orford 2006
  27. George Rose 2006
  28. Glenn Hall 2007
  29. Jamie Lyon 2007
  30. Jack Afamasaga 2007
  32. Josh Perry 2008
  33. David Vaealiki 2008

"Proven a clueless goose" hey?

Bob Fulton: 8th best coach in history with 0.644 win percentage.
Des Hasler: Too far down the list to count, but 0.567 & regressing badly (last 6 years .400 win %).

You CANNOT claim Des has had to deal with different parameters (salary cap for example) as the reason he's not statistically as successful, because there are quite a few CURRENT coaches up and around Bozo (Bellamy, Bennett, Tooves, Demetriou, Fitzgibbon & many others) who guess what - have also dealt with salary caps, and management / ownership. Sounds to me like you're just making excuses for Des, and that's okay, a lot of people are at the moment.

Now, here is the official definition of a revolt:
an attempt to end the authority of a person or body by rebelling

Given our club is a "body", and that body (being the employer or authority) required their contracted players and/or employees to wear an inclusivity jersey, how can you suggest this isn't an example of a revolt (particularly considering to the players, Des would be their boss), and their ONE job is to take the field, and win footy games for this community and club (which they aren't doing)?

Never once in Bozo's tenure, did I recall people thinking the players ruled the roost like they do right now for us...EVER. Bozo wouldn't have allowed this type of behavior to get out of control, same as Robinson does now for The Chooks (even WITH the **** behaviour their players have).

Des Hasler isn't in Bozo's shadow. Take a step back from your complete bias and online bravado and aggression, look at this with a clear mind, and I think you'll see who the real clueless goose is.

Last edited:
Just trying to recollect when Tony Mestrov played for Manly , during or just after Graham Lowe 's coaching stint ? Does seem keen to be involved with Manly 's general operation having previously shown interest in the job but overlooked at the time . Wouldn "t expect money or salary considerations to be a factor . ,Maybe an opportunity to just get involved in a different form of administration but again also a genuine interest to help the club move forward well and its best interests . Unfortunate with the circumstances with Steve Humphries and no doubt would have extended his tenure there and seemed to provide some stability . Mesrtov also seems to have the right credentials to go well and provide some important stability . .

Mestrov will only be as effective as Penn allows him to be. If Penn wants to wield the axe then Mestrov will be his merchant of doom (pardon the pun). We do need changes but wholesale sackings isn't the way to do it that would only serve to create chaos in the short term and that would concern the NRL and jeopardise our long term future. The NRL will expect the club to manage its affairs calmly and professionally. IMO we need a fresh vision and approach and that will probably require a change of coach. That of itself is a significant change. Our results have not allowed Des to trigger a contract extension and I expect Penn will want to see if Des changes his approach next year. I expect he won't and we will be sitting on the lower end of the premiership ladder again looking for a new coach. Sadly it looks like more pain before gain.

Just trying to recollect when Tony Mestrov played for Manly , during or just after Graham Lowe 's coaching stint ? Does seem keen to be involved with Manly 's general operation having previously shown interest in the job but overlooked at the time . Wouldn "t expect money or salary considerations to be a factor . ,Maybe an opportunity to just get involved in a different form of administration but again also a genuine interest to help the club move forward well and its best interests . Unfortunate with the circumstances with Steve Humphries and no doubt would have extended his tenure there and seemed to provide some stability . Mesrtov also seems to have the right credentials to go well and provide some important stability . .
Graham Lowe 90-92...17 games. then went to Souffs for 2 years before heading over to the UK

5 grand finals
2 premierships

Des hasler
12 seasons
3 grand finals
2 premierships
1 world club challenge

Delmege Vs Penn
Penn Vs everyone else

Noel cleal nsw and aus
Dave brown qld
Col drier
Ian Schubert
Phil sigsworth nsw
Tony melrose
Andy godway
Marty Gurr
Dale Sheraer qld
Mitchell cox
Cliff Lyons
Steve gerrin

1. Ian Donnelly 2004
  3. Chris Hicks 2004
  5. Kylie Leuluai 2004
  6. Michael Monaghan 2004
  7. Jye Mullane 2004
  8. Paul Stephenson 2004
  9. Andrew Walker 2004
  10. Kane Cleal 2004
  11. Nathan Tutt 2004
  12. Jeff Robson 2004
  13. David Warry 2004
  15. Nick Paterson 2004
  16. Mark Lennon 2004
  17. Michael Witt 2005
  18. Brent Kite 2005
  19. Ben Kennedy 2005
  20. Jim Curtis 2005
  21. Mark Bryant 2005
  22. Ashley Alberts 2005
  23. Travis Burns 2005
  24. Steven Bell 2006
  25. Matt Orford 2006
  27. George Rose 2006
  28. Glenn Hall 2007
  29. Jamie Lyon 2007
  30. Jack Afamasaga 2007
  32. Josh Perry 2008
  33. David Vaealiki 2008
You seem to want to twist it and include haslers time at the bullldogs in the stats. To be honest I couldn't give a flying ---- what happened at the dogs.

Des has coached manly 300 times for 170 wins rounding up thats a 57% win rate at manly.

In all honesty win percentage means Sweet f all if you can't win the 1 game that matters. Brian Smith perfect example 52% over 620 games how many premierships 0.

As it stands as I have said countless times.
In the last 40 years our club has had 8 coaches.

Only four of the 8 have been able to get the side in to a GF and only Des and Fulton have been able to win Premierships at Manly during that time 2 eacb. For that alone the man deserves a big more respect than you are showing him@Merchant Of Doom

Last edited:
You seem to want to twist it and include haslers time at the bullldogs in the stats. To be honest I couldn't give a flying ---- what happened at the dogs.

Des has coached manly 300 times for 170 wins rounding up thats a 57% win rate at manly.

In all honesty win percentage means Sweet f all if you can't win the 1 game that matters. Brian Smith perfect example 52% over 620 games how many premierships 0.

As it stands as I have said countless times.
In the last 40 years our club has had 8 coaches.

Only four of the 8 have been able to get the side in to a GF and only Des and Fulton have been able to win Premierships at Manly during that time 2 eacb. For that alone the man deserves a big more respect from an anonymous muppet like you @Merchant Of Doom

From one anonymous muppet to another anonymous muppet @Cameron , you just have a different hand up that arse of yours (and it seems to have plenty of lube). Des Hasler had a great run, where his strategies, team building and culture was fantastic. NO-ONE is questioning that (and I mean absolutely no-one). The way he rebuilt the club was second to none.

But those strategies, those team cultures, those team building exercises have become out dated and dormant, so I would say Des patterns at the Bulldogs, then carried forward to his results here at Manly (indicating trend) are absolutely pertinent to assess his ability as coach.

Just like players, coaches, owners in any sport in any country, people's form can drop off a cliff. I don't believe the actions/behaviours of some of our current players would have been accepted or tolerated back around 2006-2012 (for example) - Des wouldn't have tolerated it, the playing group wouldn't have tolerated it.

But forget all that. If you want to ignore Des falling off a cliff form wise towards the end of his Bulldogs career (that's cool, too). But that form continued south for the next five years (in fact, regressing further as the years rolled on (apart from one, where Tom exploded and dominated the league).

Your complete theory is about hanging onto decade old results and culture, to summarize a coaches ability (on the whole) who's dropped off a cliff statistically (as I stated sub .500 for 6 years) now!!

Statistically Bozo wins. Consistency wise, Bozo wins. Leadership wise, and culturally, Bozo wins. Bozo was the Australian coach (Des isn't in the picture for NSW), Bozo wins. Bozo never put the knife in our back, and ran off to another club as a coach, Bozo wins.

Lastly, every time you throw out an insult, I'll reply in kind, exposing your inane opinion.

Good stat only 8 coaches in 40 years. That’s relatively stable I would have thought.

I think des deserves another 3 years after this one. He’s made finals 2 from 4 years with so many injuries and drama. Give him another 3 years so he can plan properly with a view to moving into head of footy after.

This rubbish of giving him to Easter is so short term and promotes the wrong types of decisions and behaviour.

This merchant of doom is correct imo.

I'm seeing a lot of "Bulldogs" in our current style of play. We could literally substitute Tolman, Jackson, etc of a few years ago, with our current forward pack, and no-one could tell the difference.....even the plays are the same.

The touch footy last year suited Tom, and he was in the form of the century at the time. Des also gets credit for that, for getting us to 4th, as he should.

But he really needs to do something differently going forward, or it will be time to end the coaching career.

If we are still in the same position by round 8 next season, a call will have to be made.

This merchant of doom is correct imo.

I'm seeing a lot of "Bulldogs" in our current style of play. We could literally substitute Tolman, Jackson, etc of a few years ago, with our current forward pack, and no-one could tell the difference.....even the plays are the same.

The touch footy last year suited Tom, and he was in the form of the century at the time. Des also gets credit for that, for getting us to 4th, as he should.

But he really needs to do something differently going forward, or it will be time to end the coaching career.

If we are still in the same position by round 8 next season, a call will have to be made.
I only see some of the " Bulldogs " but that is still a worry in itself . More concerned about a Foz less line up next season combined with any lingering antiquated or partly antiquated coaching methods .

I only see some of the " Bulldogs " but that is still a worry in itself . More concerned about a Foz less line up next season combined with any lingering antiquated or partly antiquated coaching methods .
I look at it this way,whilst he has been great since his return,they haven’t won a premiership with him since 2011.Now I’m not laying blame on him,I think it’s time for a change and he’s not getting any younger and surely his run of injury free footy must be coming close to an end

From one anonymous muppet to another anonymous muppet @Cameron , you just have a different hand up that arse of yours (and it seems to have plenty of lube). Des Hasler had a great run, where his strategies, team building and culture was fantastic. NO-ONE is questioning that (and I mean absolutely no-one). The way he rebuilt the club was second to none.

But those strategies, those team cultures, those team building exercises have become out dated and dormant, so I would say Des patterns at the Bulldogs, then carried forward to his results here at Manly (indicating trend) are absolutely pertinent to assess his ability as coach.

Just like players, coaches, owners in any sport in any country, people's form can drop off a cliff. I don't believe the actions/behaviours of some of our current players would have been accepted or tolerated back around 2006-2012 (for example) - Des wouldn't have tolerated it, the playing group wouldn't have tolerated it.

But forget all that. If you want to ignore Des falling off a cliff form wise towards the end of his Bulldogs career (that's cool, too). But that form continued south for the next five years (in fact, regressing further as the years rolled on (apart from one, where Tom exploded and dominated the league).

Your complete theory is about hanging onto decade old results and culture, to summarize a coaches ability (on the whole) who's dropped off a cliff statistically (as I stated sub .500 for 6 years) now!!

Statistically Bozo wins. Consistency wise, Bozo wins. Leadership wise, and culturally, Bozo wins. Bozo was the Australian coach (Des isn't in the picture for NSW), Bozo wins. Bozo never put the knife in our back, and ran off to another club as a coach, Bozo wins.

Lastly, every time you throw out an insult, I'll reply in kind, exposing your inane opinion.
Get rid of the first and last paragraphs and there is nothing wrong with the post - those paragraphs start to tread into not great territory and sound pretty personal

Something both you and @Cameron should try avoid

I look at it this way,whilst he has been great since his return,they haven’t won a premiership with him since 2011.Now I’m not laying blame on him,I think it’s time for a change and he’s not getting any younger and surely his run of injury free footy must be coming close to an end
See where you are coming from and must be really pushing it now body endurance wise but in virtually all playing 6 facets , he has really delivered the past 2 seasons . And just that void then , game management and deft attacking skill . That is what Manly is obviously going to miss .. Schuster , Weekes then hopefully Latu fainu to fit the bill , more hope and expectation at the moment but obviously hope that it can be much more

Get rid of the first and last paragraphs and there is nothing wrong with the post - those paragraphs start to tread into not great territory and sound pretty personal

Something both you and @Cameron should try avoid

Like I said, I'll reply in kind of it's dished up. Unsure if you read his comments to me, but I mirrored what he said basically. I'm not gonna be any kids boxing bag.

Bozo was a great coach, des played under him a so did Ivan Cleary both NRL coaches today. Bozo>Des. In defence of Des Bozo was not constrained by the salary cap and Manly were really silvertails back then…

Like I said, I'll reply in kind of it's dished up. Unsure if you read his comments to me, but I mirrored what he said basically. I'm not gonna be any kids boxing bag.
That is why I called him out on it as well

Both of you make some interesting points when it does not go that way

Bozo was a great coach, des played under him a so did Ivan Cleary both NRL coaches today. Bozo>Des. In defence of Des Bozo was not constrained by the salary cap and Manly were really silvertails back then…

I don't really get that mate.

The NRL salary cap was introduced in 1990. Therefore, of Bob Fulton's 383 club games coached, 153 of those were during a salary cap era. In that period, Bozo won a Premiership, and were runners up twice (1993-1999) - that's three years of the seven, we ended up as one of the last top two teams.

He was pretty good in the salary cap era imo.

I don't really get that mate.

The NRL salary cap was introduced in 1990. Therefore, of Bob Fulton's 383 club games coached, 153 of those were during a salary cap era. In that period, Bozo won a Premiership, and were runners up twice (1993-1999) - that's three years of the seven, we ended up as one of the last top two teams.

He was pretty good in the salary cap era imo.
Good points.
It was a lot easier to get around the salary cap back then and we could certainly afford too.
On the whole I still put Bozo ahead of Des because he was more a club man imo…. I do still hold Des in very high regard. He coached post the Northern eagle mess….very tough days indeed..

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6