Toovey VS Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manly has never had a problem signing and developing talent ! The problem was a decade of dominance + heaps of champion's coming to the end of their career's and contract's all at once !

The point I was trying to make was that I don't think the checkbook was available for Toovey during his tenure due to backloading of player contracts. So for that period of time we did have a problem with signing new players, not to mention the Foran , DCE circus.

Snake definitely would have made it a game last night but it could be that we've seen his best.

Don't forget with Des he had the benefit of continuity and also Stephen Dank.

LOL on Dank.

Nah @Loobs I kind of don't get where people are coming from when they say Bullet is down on form this year. When playing, I think he has been amazing, but I may be completely and utterly biased there, I know.

I think he's got plenty more mate. Then again, I thought Lyon was one of our best last night, and even though it's Rugby League, actually affected me a little (LOL) when he announced his retirement - you just can't replace that legend.

Same goes for Symonds. Absolutely love him as a player. Always rips in. But he draws ire here for some reason?

I actually think last nights effort was much better than our Lucky win over the Knights.

The video ref helped get one try and disallowed one for them.

We got a much better gauge last night against quality opposition. We will see a bit more next time vs Broncs.

As I have said in other threads we might finish around 4-8 with a decent share of luck in this very weak competition, other than two sides.

If we have no luck it could be a 9-13 finish.

Last edited:
LOL on Dank.

Nah @Loobs I kind of don't get where people are coming from when they say Bullet is down on form this year. When playing, I think he has been amazing, but I may be completely and utterly biased there, I know.

I think he's got plenty more mate. Then again, I thought Lyon was one of our best last night, and even though it's Rugby League, actually affected me a little (LOL) when he announced his retirement - you just can't replace that legend.

Same goes for Symonds. Absolutely love him as a player. Always rips in. But he draws ire here for some reason?
I think it's more his ability to stay on the field at this point. He's kind of breaking down in a similar way to Glenn to be honest. The skill set was still there but you just didn't know when he'd pull up and then be out for weeks.

I actually think last nights effort was much better than our Lucky win over the Knights.

The video ref helped get one try and disallowed one for them.

We got a much better gauge last night against quality opposition. We will see a bit more next time vs Broncs.

As I have said in other threads we might finish around 4-8 with a decent share of luck in this very weak competition, other than two sides.

If we have no luck it could be a 9-13 finish.

I'd say we've had close to no luck at this point with the draw and injuries and some dud reffing (but a lot of teams are copping that) and we're about where you predicted. Now the draw will normalise, hopefully the injuries reduce and we can run out our best squad, that is both sufficiently rested and also has been able to train, for a few weeks in a row at least. Then we can get a good read on things. But even that is weeks away because injuries!

I won't accept the dud reffing. The Roosters were robbed and we got no end of lucky calls vs Knights.

That is two lucky wins vs the bottom sides.
Look at last night. We copped a lot of **** calls early and got the make ups late. That is did reffing 101.

Recall Feldt slapping Matai, Vave slapping Felt and Vave go penalised. Go figure.

Look at last night. We copped a lot of **** calls early and got the make ups late. That is did reffing 101.

Recall Feldt slapping Matai, Vave slapping Felt and Vave go penalised. Go figure.

Only one wasn't the right decision.

Symonds draws ire here because he plays great one in every four games.
3/4 of the time he is nothing above ordinary.I believe he is our weakest link & his position is where we need to throw some big coin next year.

Wish we had waited for him to be a "great coach" before signing him and hoping he'd learn on the job.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Tooves also learn 'on the job'? Only he had the luxury of taking over the reigning premiers for his rookie year.

Des also learnt on the job and we actually finished 13th in his first season as coach.

Remember when Cameron Smith elbowed Matt Ballin in the head, and the ref penalised Manly? LOL.

Symonds draws ire here because he plays great one in every four games.
3/4 of the time he is nothing above ordinary.I believe he is our weakest link & his position is where we need to throw some big coin next year.

Really? Just seems to me like he rips in all the time? Absolutely love the guy. Reminds me of Shane Rodney. Unheralded & under rated.

BUT, as I said in another thread, I'd be happy with Taupau, Buhrer, Trbojevic and Brown being the backrow.

As far as front row, we NEED to get Myles off the park. One of the most frustratingly immobile players I have ever seen. If he comes off the bench, fine. A bench of Brown, Myles & two other, VERY mobile props if possible.

Can we clone Jake - hmmmm.....3 times?

If we are cloning ,might as well throw some Bromwich DNA in there and have a super hybrid.

Really? Just seems to me like he rips in all the time? Absolutely love the guy. Reminds me of Shane Rodney. Unheralded & under rated.

BUT, as I said in another thread, I'd be happy with Taupau, Buhrer, Trbojevic and Brown being the backrow.

As far as front row, we NEED to get Myles off the park. One of the most frustratingly immobile players I have ever seen. If he comes off the bench, fine. A bench of Brown, Myles & two other, VERY mobile props if possible.

Can we clone Jake - hmmmm.....3 times?
For playing his preferred position.When he tackles he should hit hard ,or attack the line hard when running.Look at the guys who excel at playing his position,they are wrecking balls.I see he gives his all but unfortunately his all is a bit too soft for first grade.

I was willing to give Barrett a bit of a go but where is his mongrel? I can't stomach the way he was tickle pink with our win against Newcastle. He needs to fire up and demand more from his players than that rubbish. Same goes for the near enough is good enough attitude.

I was willing to give Barrett a bit of a go but where is his mongrel? I can't stomach the way he was tickle pink with our win against Newcastle. He needs to fire up and demand more from his players than that rubbish. Same goes for the near enough is good enough attitude.
i like Trent Barrett however there were plenty of manly fans who thought we may have replaced the Toovey style manly culture of wanting and demanding success with the Cartwright/Barrett being used to mediocrity style.

I've sat on the fence on Baz so far. I think we have had a sheite draw and turn arounds. Sheite run of injuries.

But it's time
i like Trent Barrett however there were plenty of manly fans who thought we may have replaced the Toovey style manly culture of wanting and demanding success with the Cartwright/Barrett being used to mediocrity style.
I am waiting to see how things pan out but I am one of the many that think the Barrett option was not the right choice. We needed someone with experience and a connection to our culture.
I am still waiting for Baz to shine. I will give him more time but to be honest what I have seen so far has not changed my original opinion.

Barret needs to get help with backline play. So far our attack loos like 1980 reserve grade. Walker is playing in the wrong position. Someone probably gave Killer the tap. Bozo? Our forwards look pretty good overall, except for Myles who was recruited merely to attract / secure Turtle.

I hate using the term keyboard warrior but seriously people here could be described as nothing less. What was the score last night? 34-18. They scored one try while Godinet was down with cramps and one of a fluke bounce on a grubber. Our forwards made metres all night and fitness or strength or conditioning hasn't been an issue thoughout all our tight turnarounds. Snake is out with a chronic hamstring issue. Tom T has a high ankle sprain, Tafua ****ed his collar bone, DCE had a high ankle sprain. Do I need to go on..?
Were you drunk watching the game? The Cows were in 2nd gear all night. We were lucky not to lose by 30.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6