Trent Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
For those of you thinking Wright is a first grade footballer next year and the answer to number 6....... Cwhoa up.
He wasn't the first full back picked for Australian schoolboys probably because of his defence in the final where he let two tries in. Coming from a Union background where backs rarely tackle like league players Barrett will have to work hard on his defensive skills.
Brilliant with the ball and has a good kicking game, reads the game well and sets up outside support players very easily.

Barrett hasn't addressed our major weakness for next year - lack of forwards who will make 100+ metres a game consistantly and who will dominate other forward packs.

Lussick, Myles and brown won't improve our pack and they are no better than Mason. Sao and Horo.
Mason has not played representative NSW since 2008 and Myles is a current state forward . Sao a NSW cup player earned his spot In first grade this year through injuries and Horo was playing NSW cup and on the bench for the first part of the season whilst Lussick has represented City NSW and along with Brown who represented NZ are established NRL players

He hasn't even officially started with the club and you are already saying he hasn't addressed our major weakness?? Seriously?? Bozo did the recruiting, sure Barrett would have had informal chats with some of them, and recommended the Penrith players, but he didn't miss the signing of Tom Burgess. He also can't arrange signings of top forwards that would address our issues if they are not off contract until end of 2016 (which is the case).

The guy hasn't even started and you are into him. If you were in a situation where you were getting hammered by someone for a job you hadn't even started yet - what would you think of that person?
Why are we replacing a sucessful coach who in 3 seasons got us to a grand final, a semi final and one win away from the semis again with a rookie coach who has no first grade experience?

If someone sucessful is being replaced by someone who hasn't even done the same job and has no experience then yes I will be critcal of the new person.

Then again I suppose that it the way the world works these days when it often comes down to who you know and if you are good looking rather than how good you are.

Mason has not played representative NSW since 2008 and Myles is a current state forward . Sao a NSW cup player earned his spot In first grade this year through injuries and Horo was playing NSW cup and on the bench for the first part of the season whilst Lussick has represented City NSW and along with Brown who represented NZ are established NRL players
So adding Lussick, Myles and Brown next year out forward pack will be able to dominate the roosters and dogs packs?

I will come back to the forum when I have stopped laughing

I've spent the last few months "kicking rocks" over the loss of Tooves. No matter what anyone say's I think the whole affair was handled very poorly by the club.
That said, I also know Tooves loves the club so much he'd never want to see it losing fans on his behalf....so I guess what's done is done.
I still remain cautious about the owners but I've decided to renew my membership because it somehow makes me feel more attached to the team.
I guess all there's left to say is good luck to Trent and the boy's for 2016 !

Not sure how the thread eschewed towards the forwards, but I do agree that we let lesser forwards go for 20% worth of improved versions. Unfortunately, those better ones are not going to scare off the Rorters, Dogs, Warriors, Cows in 2016...........

But on the plus side - DCE is a mile better player with Foran off the field and not overcalling (and ****ing up) most of the time, so perhaps the backs will score more than 83 tries next year.

We are short an explosive (kapow/papali/burgei/taumololo) style forward; but the donkeys dont have one either, and could still conceivably win this years GF.

Perhaps the plan is to copy Bennet; add youth, mix in extra speed & mobility, and then build heart & fortitude?

Bring on 2016 and lets see what happens.

We bought well this year and myles has an average of 100 meters and 40 tackles that's exactly what we need and he has more size. Lussick adds even more size and has an average of 85 meters and 25 tackles just from a good 20 minutes on the feild which is what he was made to play by the eels. Eels had no respect for Lussick and what he can do he just needs to be given a chance he is way better than São. Brown he is also and upgrade from Horo. Brown is a regular New Zealand player now and Horo was lazy and inconsistent. His stats are also admirable averaging 100 meters and 30 tackles.

Why are we replacing a sucessful coach who in 3 seasons got us to a grand final, a semi final and one win away from the semis again with a rookie coach who has no first grade experience?

If someone sucessful is being replaced by someone who hasn't even done the same job and has no experience then yes I will be critcal of the new person.

Then again I suppose that it the way the world works these days when it often comes down to who you know and if you are good looking rather than how good you are.
Barrett comes to us with a lot of good raps and he knows if he does not perform we will all rip him up . Lets us see how he performs shall we ?
So adding Lussick, Myles and Brown next year out forward pack will be able to dominate the roosters and dogs packs?

I will come back to the forum when I have stopped laughing
This is an improvement from last year and you can laugh as much as you like :)

He has a Grahm Lowe smell about him already

Unlike Barrett, Lowe had a fair bit of coaching experience behind him when he joined us. In 1980 he won the Brisbane Grand Final with Norths Devils. From 1983-86 he was NZ coach, including when they defeated the Kangaroos in 1983 and gave Australia that 18-0 hiding in the third test of the 1985 Trans-Tasman series. He then went and coached Wigan, winning the 1987 WCC (against us), 2 Lancashire Cups, the 1986/87 RFL Premiership (finishing 3rd in 87/88 and 2nd in 88/89) and the 1988 and 1989 Challenge Cups. Prior to Lowe's arrival Wigan had not won a premiership or any sort of trophy for 27 years.

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
Unlike Barrett, Lowe had a fair bit of coaching experience behind him when he joined us. In 1980 he won the Brisbane Grand Final with Norths Devils. From 1983-86 he was NZ coach, including when they defeated the Kangaroos in 1983 and gave Australia that 18-0 hiding in the third test of the 1985 Trans-Tasman series. He then went and coached Wigan, winning the 1987 WCC (against us), 2 Lancashire Cups, the 1986/87 RFL Premiership (finishing 3rd in 87/88 and 2nd in 88/89) and the 1988 and 1989 Challenge Cups. Prior to Lowe's arrival Wigan had not won a premiership or any sort of trophy for 27 years.
Good point V8 but in life when you have the ability anything is possible and this could be the case with Barrett

I was impressed with his interview. But he didnt say he wanted him to play like JT, he just wants DCE to be a more traditional no 7 and become a first receiver and not be stuck on one side of the field. Thats already a positive start IMO. Also an interesting take on that style of no 7 and what sort of no6 best compliments that sort of five eight we will.be looking at. I think that Killer is well suited to that style but it also opens up the possibility if playing someone with a little less first grade experience.

As much as I loved Tooves, with each year that passed, we did seem to be getting further away from a premiership, not closer. He inherited a great squad that seemed to be getting weaker by the year. I feel that something had to give. If he tried to build a squad of the best 20 year olds in the country, I would have been a little more patient, but we seemed to have a stockpile of 30 year olds - mostly backs. I am not sure if Tooves had a plan.

Barrett comes to us with a lot of good raps and he knows if he does not perform we will all rip him up . Lets us see how he performs shall we ?

This is an improvement from last year and you can laugh as much as you like :)

Don't worry Bozo, we supporters have always hated outsiders. It is time to get with the times. I actually feel a little more confident with Barrett at the helm. I guess time will be the judge...

Not an impressive start from Barrett IMO.

FG coaches dont have informal talks about a job and then suddenly sign a contract in round 21.
It is just my vague recollection but wasn't there a few here critical of Barrett because he didn't even want to come here - I tied that up to another story doing the rounds at the time that Barrett had said he wasn't prepared to coach us unless we had at least one first class half on our roster.
Given both had signed elsewhere and DCE had bought his house up North, does anyone remember what round DCE did his backflip? I know he was copping it on the Goldie in round 24. The answer might be there somewhere.

Last edited:

See, the issue you have is with Toovey going and the reasons behind it - I get that totally. The Penn's, Bozo, Zorba; whoever made the decision is the one who should cop your frustration, and there is a good case for that. Barrett on the other hand was approached to take a full time gig as the head coach of the best team in rugby league - and you expect him to knock it back? The fact that he is good looking is certainly not a reason for him getting the gig...although Penn...

Toovey was going regardless of Barrett coming, and Barrett stayed right out of it as you'd expect from a respectful professional. Your criticism of Barrett is completely unfair judging him on things that were not of his doing. He hasn't even officially started with the club.

You can certainly have an opinion that you would have kept Toovey and not taken Barrett on, or even would have taken on a different coach with first grade coaching experience - and that is fine too. His interview; however, was certainly not a bad start, quite the opposite and he cannot be held accountable at this stage for our roster and it's weaknesses.

Happy to agree to disagree.

yep Tooves was going whatever happened. He is a prickley character who gives it everything. If Penn wanted a clean out that specially included Tooves. His true character was shown in the last 2 months. How many other coaches would have stuck to their job like he did under those conditions?

I will wait to see how Barrett goes, it wont be easy for him especially since he will have to be a bit of a yes man to owners and new hierarchy. In the end he has to succeed.

yep Tooves was going whatever happened. He is a prickley character who gives it everything. If Penn wanted a clean out that specially included Tooves. His true character was shown in the last 2 months. How many other coaches would have stuck to their job like he did under those conditions?

I will wait to see how Barrett goes, it wont be easy for him especially since he will have to be a bit of a yes man to owners and new hierarchy. In the end he has to succeed.
Still think Tooves gets the Oz job which is why he's pretty chill about everything. Perhaps Bozo offered it to him ("informally" ;) ) to make everything else more palatable...

Nice to hear from Barrett and he seems ok. Has my full
support 'cause he's our Trent now - as opposed to their Trent.
I do wish they'd left it another week til Tooves had had his final appearance on NRL 360 'coaches night' in his Manly gear. Just would have been the right thing to do doncha think Zorb?
Nah.
Didn't think so.

Don't worry Bozo, we supporters have always hated outsiders. It is time to get with the times. I actually feel a little more confident with Barrett at the helm. I guess time will be the judge...
We must remember that many of the hated outsiders have become Manly Heroes .
Max Whitehead was our first captain and he came from North Sydney 1947
Wally O'Connell was our captain coach and he came from the Roosters 1951
Barry O'Connell Wallys younger Rooster brother also captained Manly 1960
Ken Irvine one of North Sydney greatest of all time became ours in 1971
Noel Cleal the roosters champion became a Manly legend 1983
Ian Roberts from Souths 1990
Ben Kennedy from Newcastle 2005
Jamie Lyon our current Captain 2007 ...... Just to name a few
Once an outsider joins us they become one of us :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8