Trial V Roosters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There is a lot of match ups to look forward to this weekend against a full strength roosters.
1. Paulo vs Vaega for left wing spot
2. Burbo vs Schuster for left edge spot
3. Sipley (prop) vs Brown (lock and jake prop) for potential starting spot
4. Humphries vs Gordie for 14 spot

I can’t believe they would consider vaega as a full time winger. Ok to fill in from time to time. But NSW Cup standard.

Footy is back with the trials starting this week a cautious approach from Manly looking at the team
It’s going to be a tough start with the travelling to Vegas
So agree with resting some of our best players from the trial this weekend

Maybe he's working on his social media skills and learning how to stay out of his own way…

‘Not intentional’: Aloiai ‘accidentally’ liked racially charged Latrell comment​

by Dan Walsh and Michael Chammas

A mortified Josh Aloiai has deleted his ‘like’ of a social media comment that claimed Souths star Latrell Mitchell “always plays the racism card”, saying he had accidentally liked the offending comment.

Just weeks out from a landmark round one Manly-South Sydney clash between the famous clubs in Las Vegas, the Manly prop told this masthead he had not intended to like the comment and immediately deleted it when it was brought to his attention.

Mitchell is in camp with the Indigenous All Stars in Townsville ahead of the annual NRL fixture against the Maori All Stars on Friday night.

In an interview with Nine News on Monday night, he and brother Shaquai detailed some of the racial abuse they suffered playing junior footy in their home town of Taree.

A comment on Nine’s Instagram post read, “biggest sook an [sic] always plays the racism card”. Aloiai was among the individuals who liked the comment from his own personal account, which has been verified by Instagram.

“I was looking through Instagram as I normally do,” Aloiai said in a statement provided to the Herald.

“I saw a post from Latrell, and I was going through it when I accidentally liked a comment as I was scrolling. When I was made aware of this, I immediately deleted it. If anyone saw it, I would like to say that it was certainly not intentional at all.”

The Rabbitohs were not aware of Aloiai’s mistake when approached by this masthead, but privately expressed their disappointment.

The NRL was also approached for comment and has begun making its own inquiries into the matter.

In the interview with Nine News, the Mitchell brothers gave a frank insight into the abuse they had been subjected to from parents at junior footy games.

“[There was] a lot of racism when we grew up as kids,” Latrell Mitchell said. “People driving past in their cars yelling out, ‘Black this’ and, ‘Black that’. Other examples, we were at games [as] nine and 10-year-old kids playing for Taree Rovers [with] parents yelling out and being racist because we were carving their kids up.

“[It was] scary, 100 percent. We used to have to sprint home, close the curtains and lock the doors. Stuff like that just makes you feel inferior.”

While Mitchell is the star attraction in the Indigenous side, coached by Ronnie Griffiths, Aloiai was not named for Manly’s trial match against the Roosters in Gosford on Saturday.

Mitchell will join South Sydney teammates and staff to fly to the US on February 19 while Manly take off two days later.

The two clubs open the NRL season at Allegiant Stadium – scene of Monday’s Super Bowl – on Sunday, March 3 (AEDT).
How's Paddy Carrigan form this morning? Now that bloke looked as sloppy as Barnaby Joyce taking a suit to the dry cleaners. As for AOA well it must have been a slow news day is all I can say. Reynolds might even want to hit Josh up to teach him how to do a rear naked choke proper too just quietly.

There is a lot of match ups to look forward to this weekend against a full strength roosters.
1. Paulo vs Vaega for left wing spot
2. Burbo vs Schuster for left edge spot
3. Sipley (prop) vs Brown (lock and jake prop) for potential starting spot
4. Humphries vs Gordie for 14 spot
Pretty much nailed my points of interest with the team:
Paulo vs Vaega for a wing spot
Burbo vs Schuster for left edge spot. Also how Schu plays in general, after his recent physical and mental issues
Brown at lock
Humphries vs Gordie for 14, and how Lawton goes at 9

Great to see Sipley back early from injury and captain again like last year.
Have to assume Aloiai injured, presumably before last week's trial when originally named captain.

Pretty much nailed my points of interest with the team:
Paulo vs Vaega for a wing spot
Burbo vs Schuster for left edge spot. Also how Schu plays in general, after his recent physical and mental issues
Brown at lock
Humphries vs Gordie for 14, and how Lawton goes at 9

Great to see Sipley back early from injury and captain again like last year.
Have to assume Aloiai injured, presumably before last week's trial when originally named captain.
It was posted earlier in this thread that Aloiai is injured,but don’t think the events of today have anything to do with his absence

Is anyone else not suspicious about there being no Aloiai, I feel he is one player that is right in the centre of contention of possibly making or not making the 17 for Vegas. With Jake and Paseka the only 2 middles who have their spots set the other 3 spots are up for grabs ( 2 starting props, lock and 2 bench replacement middle forwards).

I have a feeling he got injured last week just before game day and that's why he pulled out and they just giving him an extra week off this week just to give more time to heal. Would love to hear any news about him because us paying for 600k for him is too much for a player who can't make starting side and that's even with lodge not back in the frame yet.

With that said it's out of;
Sipley - who is named captain and was one of the best forwards in the comp last 6 weeks last year
Bullemor - his leg speed off the bench and consistency got him recognised as top 10 bench players in the comp last year
Brown - Seibs has sent multiple times that if he keeps training the way he is he is on for a spot in round 1.
Aloiai - Came off a pretty average season last year and has errors in his game.
We probably need to move him on to be honest. He’s kindve surplus to requirements at the moment and seems to be riddled with niggles

I wouldn’t say Schuster brings down the club’s reputation, he’s never done anything off field that has put us in a bad light
It’s his (lack of) actions on the field that have put us in a bad light, and made him a meme in the NRL. Can he turn it around? He has had a shocking offseason, certainly not all his fault.

What a pity Lodge will miss so much of the season , especially with the very tough first 5-6 rounds we have , oh well !!
It’s gonna take the full squad to have a legit push at the finals this year. I think Siebs is focusing on that and depth as others have said. These trials are good opportunities for those guys. Guys will come in and out of the squad all year so Lodge coming back round 5 hopefully fit and firing might come in handy yet.

I wouldn’t say Schuster brings down the club’s reputation, he’s never done anything off field that has put us in a bad light
Yeah agree. That said, it’s a good point re the salary and our value in return to date for these two. I like the Schu but strategically if at a point this year we could offload one or both as a measure to save cash with the bigger view to improve the roster, I’d not be against that. This said I’m willing to give the Schu a go to get back some form - him like others has had a rubbish run of injuries. Aloai could go tomorrow and I wouldn’t care.

Reports were that Aloiai and Waddell were pulled from last week's trial due to niggling injuries. Aloiai had a minor calf strain.

As some have said some really good opportunities for a few players particularly Paulo v Vaega v Talau for a starting wing spot (liked Talau in the trial v Souths), Lawton v Gordie v Humphrey (potential bench spot and backup hooker), Prop rotation with Sips back early.

Roosters team does looked stacked however gives us a good opportunity to see how last weeks trial form stacks up against a very under manned Souths team. Could be tough but I think the effort will be there. I also expect to Roosters to only play the top side for 1/2 game so we may see some big swings in momentum.

Two points of interest for mine. Firstly, how our back three (Burbo, Brown and Condon) go against the big boys. All three had big games last week but this will be a step up and a more accurate gauge. Really impressed with Condon so will keep my fingers crossed for him. Secondly, how our young and inexperienced backline goes against the Roosters super stars.
It's a pre season trial for the Chooks, and for us, it's a good opportunity for our players on the fringe to press their claims for 1st grade when the opportunity comes along. Really looking forward to seeing how we go in this one.

How's Paddy Carrigan form this morning? Now that bloke looked as sloppy as Barnaby Joyce taking a suit to the dry cleaners. As for AOA well it must have been a slow news day is all I can say. Reynolds might even want to hit Josh up to teach him how to do a rear naked choke proper too just quietly.
I agree regards Carrigan. He reminded me of a young school kid the way he was swaying around and at one stage he bumped into Reynolds, I thought here we go, another bump and it could be on lol

It's a pre season trial for the Chooks, and for us, it's a good opportunity for our players on the fringe to press their claims for 1st grade when the opportunity comes along. Really looking forward to seeing how we go in this one.
That's 100% what this pre season game is for Manly.....a decent pack to maybe level the middle, which in turn will test the edges with plenty of quality in that Roosters backline....and the battle for the "other'' 9 is real

Reports were that Aloiai and Waddell were pulled from last week's trial due to niggling injuries. Aloiai had a minor calf strain.

As some have said some really good opportunities for a few players particularly Paulo v Vaega v Talau for a starting wing spot (liked Talau in the trial v Souths), Lawton v Gordie v Humphrey (potential bench spot and backup hooker), Prop rotation with Sips back early.

Roosters team does looked stacked however gives us a good opportunity to see how last weeks trial form stacks up against a very under manned Souths team. Could be tough but I think the effort will be there. I also expect to Roosters to only play the top side for 1/2 game so we may see some big swings in momentum.
Good point, as Seibold said, only a few platers are guaranteed spot , the rest are up for grabs, whoever wants it the most will get first shot

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8