Turbo or Gutho? Who would you prefer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Who would you prefer

• Total voters
yer stings a little when you see how good guthos going, still think a lot of the credit belong to BA, he was also a sad loss.

Can we transplant Gutho's top knott onto Turbo as well?
As much as I need some hair I wouldn't risk the hip thrust infection spreading

Imagine the amount of extra pressure on Turbos hammies with that involuntary cocky comb hipthrust.

Tommy turtle is in the same class aa tedesco maybe even better on his best day. Early last year he was above teddy. Gutho can never reach the likes of teddy he is in the top 5 fullbacks sure but can not reach the level of teddy and turbo.
1. Teddy 2. Turbo. 3. Papenhuyzen. 4. Latrine 5. Gutho

Followed by ponga and rts. Need an ace fullback to win the competition. We have 1.... kinda

Obviously gutho playing makes him more useful at the moment but who knows what will happen throughout the year. Gutho might do his acl coming out of the shower

Right now. No contest. On balance, and as much as I hate to say it, Gutherson by the length of the straight. AND I don't think Turbo will ever balance the ledger due to injury. Plus it is not just what Gutherson brings skill wise. He is passionate, desperate, plays at pace and leads the Eels very, very well.
On Balance - the defining words here.

In hindsight and on balance, we let Jackson Hastings go and he became Man of Steel - so was Jamie Lyon if memory serves. Are they in the same class? Would Hastings have been a good keep? hmmm.

I am not going to pin my badge on this statement - but Gutho surely must have seen the writing was on the wall and sought other options. He would have been foolish not to. He has worked out super for the Eels and credit to them for developing him to the player he is today - Gutho today is not the Gutho we let search for other options.

Saying Turbo is not passionate and has those qualities you list is harsh on the kid - nothing he has shown on field suggests he lacks those qualities. We all want him on field all the time, and that has been the problem - our win percentage as a team when he is there speaks for itself.

The nature of footy is you pick what's in front of you at the time - we are seeing right now how the fickle fanbase reacts to excessive forward-planning. Imagine we kept Gutho and he then goes on to have his knees crumple in consecutive years Just Like Turbo - this forum would be oozing with criticism of poor recruitment decisions. It would be a revolt. And one thing about some of the Silvertails posts of late, is that I have found many of them quite revolting.

Quietly creeping to the exits at present, maybe i'm not 'passionate' enough for this constant barrage of negativity :(

Was gonna post something like this last night. Gutherson for mine. He can play a number of positions and is on the field for most of the year. Turbo might be a better Fullback but he's never on the paddock anymore. Should never of let him go.

On Balance - the defining words here.

In hindsight and on balance, we let Jackson Hastings go and he became Man of Steel - so was Jamie Lyon if memory serves. Are they in the same class? Would Hastings have been a good keep? hmmm.

I am not going to pin my badge on this statement - but Gutho surely must have seen the writing was on the wall and sought other options. He would have been foolish not to. He has worked out super for the Eels and credit to them for developing him to the player he is today - Gutho today is not the Gutho we let search for other options.

Saying Turbo is not passionate and has those qualities you list is harsh on the kid - nothing he has shown on field suggests he lacks those qualities. We all want him on field all the time, and that has been the problem - our win percentage as a team when he is there speaks for itself.

The nature of footy is you pick what's in front of you at the time - we are seeing right now how the fickle fanbase reacts to excessive forward-planning. Imagine we kept Gutho and he then goes on to have his knees crumple in consecutive years Just Like Turbo - this forum would be oozing with criticism of poor recruitment decisions. It would be a revolt. And one thing about some of the Silvertails posts of late, is that I have found many of them quite revolting.

Quietly creeping to the exits at present, maybe i'm not 'passionate' enough for this constant barrage of negativity :(

I'm sure when members and fans are presented with actions & activities that allow for support and positivity, they do exactly that (see the Guaca signing thread as exhibit A).

I'd recommend to you, and any other forum poster that only wants to see positivity and rainbows at this time, you don't traull through (as example) say a post game thread or a who could we replace Des thread.

Pick and choose what you want to view and read. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, everyone individualises their passion in their own ways and levels.

Crazy that people come here after a string of 10 losses in 11 games, 2nd worst defensive record in history, and want rainbows? Just seems weird.

I'm sure when members and fans are presented with actions & activities that allow for support and positivity, they do exactly that (see the Guaca signing thread as exhibit A).

I'd recommend to you, and any other forum poster that only wants to see positivity and rainbows at this time, you don't traull through (as example) say a post game thread or a who could we replace Des thread.

Pick and choose what you want to view and read. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, everyone individualises their passion in their own ways and levels.

Crazy that people come here after a string of 10 losses in 11 games, 2nd worst defensive record in history, and want rainbows? Just seems weird.
Not hiding from the truth Ryan, and can acknowledge we haven't performed for the best part of 2020 - but context matters and at the least helps.

It is not creating excuses to point out the serious disadvantages of a 2020 season - which after being dudded in the Parra game and overcoming adversity against a favoured Raiders team in round 6 had us looking at potential competition leading form.

And yes it went pear-shaped from there - minus a large amount of our salary cap, and continued backline losses in-game for the rest of the season.

I do what you suggest - I keep to the threads that don't descend into doomsday prepping. Just don't agree with some of the shutdowns evident in recent posts 1 admittedly disappointing game into a new season.

Given time and more lopsided results I might cave into popular demand, but until then I have to hold optimism that Des will motivate and make the required changes needed to not only avoid the spoon, but make us as proud as we were in 2019, where Des was runner-up coach of the year with the effort he provoked from the 'filthy casuals' we had on our roster - minus DCE and others. I hope he lives up to that, else as I have posted elsewhere, i'll join the Sack Des Hasler thread in earnest (which is pointless now really given he has been extended this week).

The defensive record of the past dozen or so games is not lost on me - I crunch the data - but the data also shows us having serious deficiencies in our lineup over that same period, not least our spine. That is no coincidence. With Turbo back, Fainu cleared, Players actually playing in position, and youth balanced in the squad against experience, I still think we have a solid roster to build on. Better than solid even. I'll keep that optimism for as long as I can chief.

If we kept gutho like we should have we would be a consistent finals team instead of the bullsh!t we've dished up the last 4 years.

Is he a better fullback than turbo? Not at all... But he seems to be over his injury problems unlike Tom, and even if Tom is fit those years,
Here's a list of players we've had at wing/centre/fullback and 5/8

Pita godinet
Matt Wright
Walker
Jackson hastings
Blake green
Uate
Jon Wright
Brian Kelly
Brayden williame
Parker
Garrick
Tafua (old tafua sucks, pre 2015 tafua was great)

That's just off the top of my head, and ide take gutho over EVERY SINGLE ONE of those in any of the positions named..

Shoulda kept the kid, esp since we had nothing but rubbish to replace him with
Jeez, we've had some duds ...... what a list.

Jeez, we've had some duds ...... what a list.
Agreed.. and that's just off the top of my head . I'm sure a proper search would add a few more to the list..

To think we had all that rubbish to have to watch, when we had gutho under contract yet punted him before the ink was dry... Absolutely hated that decision then, and hate it even more now..

Not hiding from the truth Ryan, and can acknowledge we haven't performed for the best part of 2020 - but context matters and at the least helps.

It is not creating excuses to point out the serious disadvantages of a 2020 season - which after being dudded in the Parra game and overcoming adversity against a favoured Raiders team in round 6 had us looking at potential competition leading form.

And yes it went pear-shaped from there - minus a large amount of our salary cap, and continued backline losses in-game for the rest of the season.

I do what you suggest - I keep to the threads that don't descend into doomsday prepping. Just don't agree with some of the shutdowns evident in recent posts 1 admittedly disappointing game into a new season.

Given time and more lopsided results I might cave into popular demand, but until then I have to hold optimism that Des will motivate and make the required changes needed to not only avoid the spoon, but make us as proud as we were in 2019, where Des was runner-up coach of the year with the effort he provoked from the 'filthy casuals' we had on our roster - minus DCE and others. I hope he lives up to that, else as I have posted elsewhere, i'll join the Sack Des Hasler thread in earnest (which is pointless now really given he has been extended this week).

The defensive record of the past dozen or so games is not lost on me - I crunch the data - but the data also shows us having serious deficiencies in our lineup over that same period, not least our spine. That is no coincidence. With Turbo back, Fainu cleared, Players actually playing in position, and youth balanced in the squad against experience, I still think we have a solid roster to build on. Better than solid even. I'll keep that optimism for as long as I can chief.

Very well said and articulate. And you're completely entitled to feel, respond & react that exact same way. Just because others see things differently, doesn't mean the way they explain things, is "revolting" as you say though.

In the span of 12 months, we've had Joel Thompson not exercise his option to play on. We've had AFB, one of the best forwards in the game ask for, and immediately be granted a release (and in my way of thinking, we haven't successfully replaced him). We've acquired a Hooker that has a snapped achilles. We've extended a player who's presently charged with "several charges, INCLUDING recklessly cause grievous bodily harm in company. We've had a seperate repeat offender (no, different player - this time Walker) potentially assault two men outside of a restaurant, court case pending. We've now had Marty Taupau potentially asking for a release. We've unfortunately had an up and coming player pass away at age 19. We've had ex players (John Hopoate) ripping into the club and our culture, then have numbnuts (one awaiting trial) within the club "liking" his comments.

THEN you look to on-field issues. Long term injuries to players (and come on, do you believe he slipped in the bathroom, pulling a hammy? The whole club lied, and the media even laugh about it), after sprinting drunk at Manly (not a big deal I agree). Curtis Sironen is out again, and last season we were flooded with injury.

SURELY, you, or any other "glass half full" type of posters and fans can't begrudge people some disappointment, frustration, annoyance & anger.

We've had recruitment after recruitment blunder(s).

So many of these things are within our control. And it all rolls back to a general nonchalance and affinity to losing - one player recently saying they didn't know the results and don't think about them, and they tend to focus on their own game individually.

It's nowhere near as simple, basic and straight forward as you'd like it to be. Jesus, even Manly's membership and ticket prices have drawn the ire of the media and public.

Fans have a right to be pissed right off at the moment. I'll empathize with them 100%, and would never suggest they are revolting. On the flipper, I also have to empathise with you glass half full types as well and mediate / minimize the negativity out of respect for you.

I know it’s easy with the benefit of hindsight, but it never sat well that a very talented Manly junior was being let go - who had signed a new contract with Manly just months earlier (and after his round 1 2015 ACL injury).

I suspect that DCE’s backflip and payday had something to do with Manly’s (read Brent Barton’s*) change of heart.

*Bob Fulton/Trent Barrett
There really isn't any hindsight benefits here.

He was signed (i.e. we think he is worth having)

then

thrown under the bus (i.e. 'we' needed to sign the Turtle at any cost because 'we' totally stuffed up with Foreign after 'we' had completely and insanely put a knife to the spirit of the club when they shivved G Stewart at the same time). I still want to know the names of the 'we' morons who were responsible for the 2014 farcical debacle with which WE ARE STILL LIVING WITH!!!

Last edited:
There really isn't really any hindsight benefits here.

He was signed (i.e. we think he is worth having)

then

thrown under the bus (i.e. 'we' needed to sign the Turtle at any cost because we totally stuffed up with Foreign after we had completely and insanely put a knife to the spirit of the club at the sane time as G Stewart). I still want to know the names of the morons who were responsible for the 2014 farcical debacle with which WE ARE STILL LIVING WITH!!!
You haven’t worked it out yet?;)

You’re right. There is a fair swag of morons in there.

You haven’t worked it out yet?;)

You’re right. There is a fair swag of morons in there.
Actually, whilst I have my suspects......no
so maybe you can help out?

Are they still with the club making fabulous decisions?
This black duck says they MUST BE!

and that is all that we need to know on our way to the spoon.

BTW, since you are so well informed, is the spoon considered a prerequisite for the move to Perth?

Tommy turtle is in the same class aa tedesco maybe even better on his best day. Early last year he was above teddy. Gutho can never reach the likes of teddy he is in the top 5 fullbacks sure but can not reach the level of teddy and turbo.
1. Teddy 2. Turbo. 3. Papenhuyzen. 4. Latrine 5. Gutho

Followed by ponga and rts. Need an ace fullback to win the competition. We have 1.... kinda

Obviously gutho playing makes him more useful at the moment but who knows what will happen throughout the year. Gutho might do his acl coming out of the shower
I’ve got RTS, Ponga, Dufty, AJ Brimson, Edwards in front of the Queen.....sorry mate can’t stand him or his arrogance.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8