Watmough [Merged Mega Thread]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Claims that Watmough agrees to 3yr Parra deal

NYEagle said:
It breaks my heart but my gut feeling is that he did sign a deal and is plain lying about it. He got caught with his pants down.

News Ltd are all over this and are even denying his denial.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, but if true he should be walked out in the offseason and his life membership revoked. Just my opinion given the timing.

I think you are right.

This is like Deja vu with Des and the 2011 finals series. Wonder if Choc is already regretting this decision.

Brooke said:
NYEagle said:
It breaks my heart but my gut feeling is that he did sign a deal and is plain lying about it. He got caught with his pants down.

I hope I am wrong, I really do, but if true he should be walked out in the offseason and his life membership revoked. Just my opinion given the timing.

I think you are right.

This is like Deja vu with Des and the 2011 finals series. Wonder if Choc is already regretting this decision.

Hi Brooke
You can bet he regrets he got caught!

NYEagle said:
Brooke said:
NYEagle said:

I think you are right.

Hi Brooke
You can bet he regrets he got caught!

It's like the old saying 'cut off your nose to spite your face'. He is unhappy with Manly management for not retaining Glenn so he gets the cranks with Tooves, blames DCE and runs to Parramatta. He would have to be thinking what have I done?

and you both know this how?

Did he tell you both himself or did you just read it in the newspapers?

Unless he told you so himself or you were there when he signed the contract with Parramatta then everything is just media unsubstantiated hearsay and we all know how unreliable with information the media can be now don't we.

Gutted by this. If he wants to go then there's no point in him being with us. He has to realise that he's pissin on everything he's done for this club. He should be remembered for being in great Manly teams instead he'll be remembered for walking away. It will be weird as f@@k seeing him in that yellow jersey.

the mauler said:
joeboy said:
Thanks for that. I suspect it's a generational thing rather than any great animosity, I'm 30ish and feel a certain divide when I meet and or chat to blokes <25

For these senior guys who have achieved most things in the game, it must be hard sensing their own rugby league mortality and a new breed coming thru that understably become somewhat of the focus for management rather than them. I'm sure the guys older than them when they all negotiated their big deals felt the same.

It's a damn shame we have disgruntled players, I want them all to love being at, and playing for manly. But the cycles of a club are unavoidable.

I just hope the admin and management at the club haven't stuffed up or done something to avoid all this.

im also perplexed that foran appears to be siding with the older guard. Who won't even be playing when he is at the peak of his powers.

Foran is old school. Doesn't surprise that he's closer with all the senior boys.

Agree totally.

Foz very respectful of senior blokes & he's earnt respect of his team-mates with his super efforts over the years.

Commeraderie & mateship / loyalty are important things. Hope you can stay on choc & I fully agree it's a 2-way street and it's all business for these guys.

So hopefully our administration can offer choc & others, mutually acceptable contracts.

cheers & push it up manly.

I just wish some of them would speak out against the real culprit - the salary cap. Players across the NRL strangely silent on this.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
I just wish some of them would speak out against the real culprit - the salary cap. Players across the NRL strangely silent on this.

For me the real culprit is the lack of salary cap concessions for veteran players at a club. Where is the reward for the fostering of loyalty between club management & players over 10+ years. The club, players & supporters hate to see the club stalwarts squeezed out of their clubs but they are powerless to stop it.

Brad Arthur must really make big impressions.

Seriously he was here for 5 minutes and is everyone best friend.

Budgewoi Eagle said:

If we didn't have the salary cap we would be out bid on every one of our best players by Donkeys, Dishlickers, Rabbids, Rorters etc etc.

The GF each year would be Donkeys V one of the other wealthy clubs and we would be also rans.

It's the Salary Cap that has enabled us to be competitive even though we have been technically broke.

So the papers persist with the story this morning despite what Choc has said. Can we just settle and wait for things to play out in their natural course.
Choc plays for Manly right now. He is a current legend. That's what matters.
And Choc, most of us would love you to finish your career in the maroon and white.

Jethro said:
and you both know this how?

Did he tell you both himself or did you just read it in the newspapers?

Unless he told you so himself or you were there when he signed the contract with Parramatta then everything is just media unsubstantiated hearsay and we all know how unreliable with information the media can be now don't we.
"signed" and "agreed to terms" are 2 different things, wonder if it's the latter?

Interesting that choc is so over the media speculation. Realistically he only has himself to blame on this.

Geez what does it matter if he has signed with them or not.The salient point here is he wants to go-now or in the offseason or to who is not relevant.

I love what the bloke has done for Manly and admire the fact that his personal form has been solid while others have stumbled but it is not helpful to the club.Let Choc go with the clubs blessing,thank him for his efforts as he should thank the club for standing by him earlier in his career and move on.Should be that simple.

Choc may well have signed with the Eels, and just said he didn't, probably his player manager leaked the story.

Who cares, he either plays his last and testimonial year in 2015, or Parra fund the back ending and he goes in 2015.

I'd have loved to see him finish as an Eagle but if we are only prepared to offer a 1 year extension after 2015 and he can get 3 years at the Eels, then good luck to him.

Personally I think the Eels would be crazy, as good as he is now he'd be almost 36 in his last year and you don't see too many forward running around at 36!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
Choc may well have signed with the Eels, and just said he didn't, probably his player manager leaked the story.

Who cares, he either plays his last and testimonial year in 2015, or Parra fund the back ending and he goes in 2015.

I'd have loved to see him finish as an Eagle but if we are only prepared to offer a 1 year extension after 2015 and he can get 3 years at the Eels, then good luck to him.

Personally I think the Eels would be crazy, as good as he is now he'd be almost 36 in his last year and you don't see too many forward running around at 36!!
True, but Johnny Gibbs said he understood manly had an offer on the table for choc for 2016 and 2017 worth 1.2m, so that's 900 for 2015 then 2 more years. Choc reportedly knocked it back and wanted permission to test the market elsewhere.

I'd make Choc honour his contract and he can leave in 2016 with our blessing.
Its too late now to find a replacement for next season.
If the Eels are offering him 3 seasons from 2016 onwards that's just too good to refuse.

Confessions of an Eels fan: When a player you love to hate joins your team

Mary Kaye Roar Guru

By Mary Kaye, 9 Sep 2014

Rugby league – it’s a game of drama. We all have our favourite team. We also have our rugby league heroes and our villains.

I am a proud Parramatta supporter, but still have many other favourite players from other teams. I admire talent like Johnathan Thurston’s. I admire new talent, like Aidan Guerra. I also admire a good head of hair, which is why I admire Aaron Woods.

However, as strongly as I feel for these players, there are also players in the NRL which I strongly dislike. This dislike stems from many reasons: because of their attitude, because I am jealous of their talent, or just because they play for a team like I love to hate.

One player that I have loved to hate over the last few years is Anthony Watmough. Anthony is a very talented player and a true competitor in our game. He is fierce, strong and determined but I know I have yelled ‘grub’ at the screen multiple times as he runs the ball up.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/09/when-a-player-you-love-to-hate-joins-your-team/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theroar+%28The+Roar%29

What the????? :huh:

Mark from Brisbane said:

The ironic thing in this >>> Parra gives Watmough a 3 year deal which could go from 2016 to 2018, but if Manly releases him early the Parra deal will go from 2015 to 2017. At the end of the 2017 season, I’m sure with Watmough’s body and age he would retire (that will be a very good innings for a forward).

It says Manly were offering him …. “The Sea Eagles had hoped the 30 year old would finish his career as a one-club man, offering him a two-year deal.”. The money was going to be good.

So it looks like both deals would end in 2017 … !! (the more realistic last season for him) …!!

Not much difference?

He seems pissed off and intends going to be frank! It will give others opportunities (as Manly is one great club). I don’t think Manly will have him next year if signs for another club so far out. In AFL land you sign with someone else you go the next day! You can’t have a player saying in October '14 he is playing for another organisation 12 months out!

I hope he's not like Dale Shearer who said he biggest football regret was leaving Manly. He did it under stress (at the time) and all his best days were with the “Maroon & Whites". There are a few players who left Manly and then regret it afterwards!

Turning up to Narrabeen (on the lakes) for training is not a bad office to have Monday to Fridays !!! … where you can nip down to Narrabeen shops for a coffee or lunch, or a quick swim at the Beach. The money difference should be HUGE to switch if you ask me !!!

You cant hold a grudge for long, as in a year's time you will say ... why did I make that decision !!!

I can never understand why players deny signings,they look like idiots eventually when it's in the open.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8