Where do we need to strengthen?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Freagle

Bencher
I realise this has been discussed to a certain extent on other threads, but consolidating here...

OK, so we have hit form, which is great. We seem to have started buying young players with heaps of potential, which is even greater(er). So clearly building for the future.

Depending on what you believe, we either do, or don't have extra $$ next year based on the contracts of two Manly legends expiring.

WE seem to have a fairly significant salary cap increase hitting the NRL.

So... bearing that in mind, and bearing in mind that we suddenly love our team and are happy with performances right across the park...WHERE DO WE NEED TO INVEST?

I do think that we need a gun back-rower, and depending on Tom Wright's development, or Jackson Hastings, we may need a five eighth. But that is all I can come up with. INterested to hear the views of others...

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: mbe
Trying to be more serious than some but depth is an issue, lose two props to suspension ( round 2) and we have a problem.

I had thought the stocks at Blacktown might help but 0/5 suggests maybe not.

Not exactly sure what we need, but a forward or two and a good back might be a smart approach!

Hotter chips and colder beer at brookie

We need to improve our depth as we don't have a lot to chose from in NSW cup if we run into injuries

Depends where we land with our off contract players in Lawrence, Taufua, Winterstien, Parker and Bainbridge

I don't buy into the "we have won 3 games lets not sign anyone" methodology as if you are not moving forwards you are going backwards

I do think an edge back rower in the priority

I won't pick 1 or 2 specific signings because I feel this year will be more hectic than most with the salary cap nonsense meaning players will be moving everywhere but below are a few players that have piqued my interest

Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Jai Arrow, Villiame Kikau, Drew Hutchinson, Gideon Gela-Mosby, Kato Ottio

Does Kerrod Holland have pace???? could we turn him into a dependable winger who can kick goals for us?

If you look at where we have been trending 4 of the 5 games this year, I'd say stability, and keeping the group together should be the main priority. That's how the last legacy was built.

01. Tom Trbojevic (20 years old)
02. Jorge Taufua (25 years old)
03. Brian Kelly (20 years old)
04. Dylan Walker (22 years old)
05. Akuila Uate (29 years old) - replaced by Brad Parker (20)
06. Blake Green (30 years old) - replaced by Jackson Hastings (21)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans (28 years old)
08. Brenton Lawrence (32 years old)
09. Api Koroisou (24 years old)
10. Marty Taupau (27 years old)
11. Frank Winterstein (30 years old) - replaced by Billy Bainbridge (19)
12. Curtis Sironen (23 years old)
13. Jake Trbojevic (23 years old)

14. Lewis Brown (30 years old) - replaced by Jackson Hastings (21)
15. Nate Myles (31 years old) - replaced by Lloyd Perrett (22)
16. Darcy Lussick (27 years old)
17. Addin Fonua-Blake (21 years old)

If you go by that depth chart, it seems to me Prop quality and depth (and maybe 1 utility or 5/8) is the position we should be solifying with additional cap space + Matai/Stewart coin.

If the team continues to perform, there is no reason they shouldn't be rewarded with tenure now.

Here are all the props on the market right now (bolded one's my preference for various reasons):
Adam Blair, Kurt Dillon, Mitchell Dodds, Kane Evans, James Gavet, David Gower, Tim Grant, Rod Griffin, Charlie Gubb, James Hasson, Jacob Hind, Felise Kaufusi, Patrick Kaufusi, Viliame Kikau, Jeremy Latimore, Brenton Lawrence, Mose Masoe, Sam Mataora, Ben Matulino, Francis Molo, Rory O'Brien, Joe Ofahengaue, Ofahiki Ogden, Agnatius Paasi, Russell Packer, Mickey Paea, Pauli Pauli, Eddy Pettybourne, Frank Pritchard, Leivaha Pulu, Ligi Sao, Andy Saunders, Ava Seumanufagai, Toafofoa Sipley, Josh Starling, Jack Stockwell, Sam Tagataese, Dave Taylor, Peni Terepo, Oshae Tuiasau, Alex Twal, David Tyrrell, Albert Vete, Christian Welch, Aaron Woods

Just in my opinion...

Prop - Brenton Lawrence and Nate are not getting any younger. As good as they are going atm, their age would be catching up with them at some stage, so would probably look for a good prop to be a ready replacement for them when that time comes.

Second row - Sironen and Winterstein are improving every week, but I wouldn't say they are irreplaceable just yet. So wouldn't mind a good second row signing either.

Five Eighth - Paul Green at his age and a 2 year contract is just bridging us to our next signing. Whether he can potentially be replaced by Hastings or we need to sign someone else is up in the air.

Otherwise happy with the rest of our team. Our centres are young and are going great. The Turbo's are great, DCE is finally showing he's worth his price tag and our wingers despite being much maligned for their catching lay the platform in our sets with their hard carries.

Trying to be more serious than some but depth is an issue, lose two props to suspension ( round 2) and we have a problem.

Not exactly sure what we need, but a forward or two and a good back might be a smart approach!
Dont forget Lussick back and Perrett apparently ripping in for the workers last week..

If you look at where we have been trending 4 of the 5 games this year, I'd say stability, and keeping the group together should be the main priority. That's how the last legacy was built.

01. Tom Trbojevic (20 years old)
02. Jorge Taufua (25 years old)
03. Brian Kelly (20 years old)
04. Dylan Walker (22 years old)
05. Akuila Uate (29 years old) - replaced by Brad Parker (20)
06. Blake Green (30 years old) - replaced by Jackson Hastings (21)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans (28 years old)
08. Brenton Lawrence (32 years old)
09. Api Koroisou (24 years old)
10. Marty Taupau (27 years old)
11. Frank Winterstein (30 years old) - replaced by Billy Bainbridge (19)
12. Curtis Sironen (23 years old)
13. Jake Trbojevic (23 years old)

14. Lewis Brown (30 years old) - replaced by Jackson Hastings (21)
15. Nate Myles (31 years old) - replaced by Lloyd Perrett (22)
16. Darcy Lussick (27 years old)
17. Addin Fonua-Blake (21 years old)

If you go by that depth chart, it seems to me Prop quality and depth (and maybe 1 utility or 5/8) is the position we should be solifying with additional cap space + Matai/Stewart coin.

If the team continues to perform, there is no reason they shouldn't be rewarded with tenure now.

Here are all the props on the market right now (bolded one's my preference for various reasons):
Adam Blair, Kurt Dillon, Mitchell Dodds, Kane Evans, James Gavet, David Gower, Tim Grant, Rod Griffin, Charlie Gubb, James Hasson, Jacob Hind, Felise Kaufusi, Patrick Kaufusi, Viliame Kikau, Jeremy Latimore, Brenton Lawrence, Mose Masoe, Sam Mataora, Ben Matulino, Francis Molo, Rory O'Brien, Joe Ofahengaue, Ofahiki Ogden, Agnatius Paasi, Russell Packer, Mickey Paea, Pauli Pauli, Eddy Pettybourne, Frank Pritchard, Leivaha Pulu, Ligi Sao, Andy Saunders, Ava Seumanufagai, Toafofoa Sipley, Josh Starling, Jack Stockwell, Sam Tagataese, Dave Taylor, Peni Terepo, Oshae Tuiasau, Alex Twal, David Tyrrell, Albert Vete, Christian Welch, Aaron Woods
I would take Terepo(as long as issues are behind him),Vete,T.Sipley at prop (hard runners with agro and heart/workrate) and also P.Sipley the older brother who played Holden Cup for us on the wing a couple of years ago.He went home to NZ and is fast developing into a damaging edge backrower who can help in the middle too(plays for Warriors).Would also look at Sione Louisi as an edge backrower for depth.But sign Parker,Taufua,Bainbridge,Winterstein,Amone,Jamil first....Would like to see Watson Heleta(elusive fullback/centre) from Tigpies,George Jennings(poor mans Walker,Kelly)but dangerous player and Shaun Nona in the halves(mainly because he plays like Napper)

Last edited:

You missed 2 props injured so 4 on the sideline.

All teams are going to have lost a lot missing 4 top props

We could also use another backup half in my opinion for the next couple of years because dce will be in origin and aus and we need some depth for him. Hastings will replace green, Cullen will probs be bench but who fills in for dce.

Surely Mark you would agree it would be desirable to strengthen the coaching ranks by at least finding someone better than Cartwright.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8