Why so many injuries?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
The latest injuries to Taufua and now Schuster, both out for the rest of the season, begs the question Why? For the past few seasons Manly has had this continuing spate of serious injuries to its players, that seem well beyond what other clubs are experiencing, and one wonders if there is something in the Sea Eagles fitness programmes that is bringing this about. If it was just this season, I would say bad luck. But this has been happening now, except for one season in 2017, since way back in 2014-15. Is there something outside of sheer bad luck causing this?

An SMH article suggested that the short amount of training before the resumption combined with the rigors of the new 6 again rule plus no byes during SOO had placed a lot of pressure on the players.

Add some bad luck to that and many teams are in the same position as us but we're missing more key players than most.

Penrith are riding high with very few (if any) long term injuries to their key players.

An SMH article suggested that the short amount of training before the resumption combined with the rigors of the new 6 again rule plus no byes during SOO had placed a lot of pressure on the players.

Add some bad luck to that and many teams are in the same position as us but we're missing more key players than most.

Penrith are riding high with very few (if any) long term injuries to their key players.

Penrith actually had everyone of their 30 man squad training today. Not a single injury!

Yepp spot on donny needs to hack into their system and fine tune his art..the game has changed and donny needs to aswel

I think some of the injuries are just bad luck. Not much you can do on the following as they aren't a soft tissue injury/result of poor conditioning:
  • Walker; broken ankle
  • Suli; broken lisfranc
  • Jorge; ruptured achilles
  • Garrick; AC joint from an awkward tackle
  • Schuster; syndesmosis

Donny should be shown the door same with James Rahme. Imagine if Dan Ferris was still the trainer? Or is it our training facilities are the worst in the comp? Can't be just bad luck.
Not donny can give him one more season but definitely James Rahme does not suit us and never really tells the truth re telling us about injury progress.

I think some of the injuries are just bad luck. Not much you can do on the following as they aren't a soft tissue injury/result of poor conditioning:
  • Walker; broken ankle
  • Suli; broken lisfranc
  • Jorge; ruptured achilles
  • Garrick; AC joint from an awkward tackle
  • Schuster; syndesmosis
Ruptured Achilles for Jorge! I hadn't seen that (dont read papers too often)

While I dont have access to the facilities he does I ruptured my achilles a few years ago, I wasn't good to work for 6 months and only got to 100% after 2 years. Hope he has a better experience

Ruptured Achilles for Jorge! I hadn't seen that (dont read papers too often)

While I dont have access to the facilities he does I ruptured my achilles a few years ago, I wasn't good to work for 6 months and only got to 100% after 2 years. Hope he has a better experience
He will. Who was it that played a state of originally n March after breaking their arm 5 weeks prior? Might have been Gal... Anyway, it's ridiculous how quick they get these guys on the paddock

Yeah well that pretty much contradicts the 1st part of your message. Why hasn't the Riff had any injuries and our last 6 seasons have been decimated by them.

This year is an anomaly, although it feels like we are the only ones suffering injuries the majority of teams have equal to as many if not more than us. Our problem is not the amount of players its who the players are, that were ruled out. As for reasons, my thoughts are, players are bigger, stronger, train to be that way and the game is faster, there are now more gang tackles not 1 on 1 and players deliberately twist and apply pressure on the body, and sometimes it is just luck.

Squeels and Penrith are also an anomaly an year..:p

After reading a few comments, its pretty clear some are just bored in calling for players and the coach to be sacked so now want the physio / medical staff gone for something different.

Fun Fact, ad an n and anomaly becomes anomanly, maybe that's the reason.

This year is an anomaly, although it feels like we are the only ones suffering injuries the majority of teams have equal to as many if not more than us. Our problem is not the amount of players its who the players are, that were ruled out. As for reasons, my thoughts are, players are bigger, stronger, train to be that way and the game is faster, there are now more gang tackles not 1 on 1 and players deliberately twist and apply pressure on the body, and sometimes it is just luck.

Squeels and Penrith are also an anomaly an year..:p

After reading a few comments, its pretty clear some are just bored in calling for players and the coach to be sacked so now want the physio / medical staff gone for something different.

Fun Fact, ad an n and anomaly becomes anomanly, maybe that's the reason.

We struggled with injuries in 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020. Our only good season avoiding major injuries to our top players was 2017 when Barrett got us into the finals

We struggled with injuries in 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2020. Our only good season avoiding major injuries to our top players was 2017 when Barrett got us into the finals

Its all in the anomaly (anomanly). :p

True Bear very true, did any most other teams have a similar injury toll as well ? I ask because I am not sure and wouldn't know where to start to look for historical injury numbers for other teams.
My point is, I do not think it is just us, I think for the reasons I outlined which also includes the extra training on strength and bulk, players are more susceptible to injury than ever before and started when Storm and us started the wrestle, and increased gang tackles.

Yeah well that pretty much contradicts the 1st part of your message. Why hasn't the Riff had any injuries and our last 6 seasons have been decimated by them.
They have had injuries this season (API and others) but nothing long term to key players like us with Tom, Walker and others.

Maybe they’ve been lucky.

Must say it’s now the norm for us to be injury ravaged , it’s just happening too much for it to be “ just bad luck”.

As to why , well I don’t have the answer but you cannot just suggest for the last 5-6 years that it’s all “ bad luck”.

Other teams have almost no injuries.

Why??

Must say it’s now the norm for us to be injury ravaged , it’s just happening too much for it to be “ just bad luck”.

As to why , well I don’t have the answer but you cannot just suggest for the last 5-6 years that it’s all “ bad luck”.

Other teams have almost no injuries.

Why??
Buuuuuuuuuuut other teams do have injuries, almost all have the same amount of injuries except a few. It is not luck, well maybe some, its the way the game, training and physical requirements have changed over the years.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8