Zorba's column today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

lurker

Beaver lover
It’s interesing reading into what was said at the forum, I know @The Wheel mentioned it was said “members will be happy” with the appointment, so fingers crossed that means we’ll see a decent Head Coach for 2019.

We’ve got to get rid of Barrett first though.
Brent kite?

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It’s interesing reading into what was said at the forum, I know @The Wheel mentioned it was said “members will be happy” with the appointment, so fingers crossed that means we’ll see a decent Head Coach for 2019.

I'm inclined to think Gorman saying "members will be happy" was referring to Maguire. What adds weight is him also saying they hoped to announce in a week. That was on Wed night and Maguire didn't reject the offer till Thursday, now putting them back to square one (or two) and probably delaying the appointment/announcement for a couple of weeks with another 2/3 to choose from (as Penn's quoted as saying today).

Yes we live in hope we'll still have a decent head coach.

Jigzkiller

Bencher
This is all smoke and mirrors Carty has had the job since day 1 sure they spoke to Madge but he was never going to agree to Carty and Ferris being involved (who would) and the other 3 he is talking about are a figment of his imagination and to keep fans happy.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
That too. And the greyhound industry. And telling Gladys how to do her job - she invariably complies.

Democracy in action.

conanu

Bencher
No

Penn spoke about how Des managed the cap in his day and how he built the club up quickly after he took over with the help from Be Kennedy but nothing in relation to current coaching
This is interesting to me, The fact that Des was mentioned at all and even in a positive light says to me that he is in Penn's thoughts, which makes me think he may be part of the group of possibilities. I think Des may be a dark horse. Probably tin foil hat stuff but i do.

Lyonstomenzies

Bencher
Premium Member
This is interesting to me, The fact that Des was mentioned at all and even in a positive light says to me that he is in Penn's thoughts, which makes me think he may be part of the group of possibilities. I think Des may be a dark horse. Probably tin foil hat stuff but i do.
I could live with Des. It would feel like getting back together with a girl who cheated on you though. But I’m sure the job would get done.

Highflier

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
We could just lie back and dream of all the future premierships :makeup:
If Penn really wants to right this listing ship and now counting Madge out, to me that only leaves 2 options and thats Hasler or Toovey
If the expense of Penns pride is less than the continuation of the heamoraging of members and crowds and sponsorships then it has to be one of those 2
If the expnse of Penns pride is more we will get Carty and then that expense of pride cost will balloon with dire consequences.
Hasler or Tooves know the place and will bring back members and sponsors and most importantly the missing Manly gene that seems to have been bred out lately
The gene that give a team mental and physical strength,the gene that doesn’t give up 20 point leads, that doesn’t lose 6/7 matches by 1/2 points ,the gene that doesn’t give 20 point head starts ,the gene that gives them thier identity as part of one of the most feared and reveared footballing dynastys in the NRL
Come on Mr Penn pride can be expensive and to what end?Everyone will be behind you and the club if those guys are back leading the Mighty Manly Seagles, you know its the successful choice
Go Manly

HappilyManly

Journey Man
http://newslocal.smedia.com.au/manly-daily/

Des now into the mix to coach Manly again

Peter Peters

image.ashx

Little rest ... Manly’s Martin Taupau is off to England after today’s New Zealand-Australia Test in Auckland. Picture Braden Fastier

Support for Hasler to come back with announcement imminent

TWO-TIME premiership -winning Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler will return from an overseas holiday tomorrow straight into the eye of the club’s coaching storm.

Hasler’s name has been thrown into what is a coaching whirlpool at Manly where the club is desperately trying to stop the bleeding over the impasse with current coach Trent Barrett and name his successor.

The Sea Eagles have closed ranks but it is understood an announcement will be made in the next week so the new coach can prepare for the start of summer training in the first week of November.

Hasler has had a break from coaching for 12 months after a controversial exit from his job at the Canterbury Bulldogs. He joined the Dogs immediately after guiding Manly to the 2011 premiership.

While he left in controversial circumstances — and had his papers marked never to return by some — it seems there is now some support for his return but with strict guidelines when it comes to salary cap issues.

Assistant coach John Cartwright remains very much in the mix, with support coming strongly from the senior playing group.

Cartwright has never wavered from the fact he would jump at the opportunity to become a head coach again if Barrett left.

COACHING CAPERS

MANLY are red-faced over the coaching conjecture — particularly as they had gone down a path to sign former Souths coach Michael Maguire who went public with his refusal.

Suggestions Jason Taylor was in the frame were not right and he has come out and said as much.

The other out-of-work coach mentioned as a likely candidate, Neil Henry, has not received an approach.

Former coach Geoff Toovey is another name mentioned and he has put his hand up publicly to offer his services to lead the club out of its current dismal position.

Toovey is a legend of the club and there is no doubt the Sea Eagles need to do more in respecting the great history of the club.

OFFICIAL SNUB

THIS year, more than ever, there has been a breakaway from links to the past, culminating in no officials or staff from the Sea Eagles attending the recent reunion of the great 1978 side, which won six finals games in 24 days to win the premiership.

That snub did not go unnoticed from Manly godfather Ken Arthurson, who attended the reunion at Manly Leagues Club.

Arthurson is a supporter of someone with a strong link to the club to be the person to lead Manly off the bottom end of the table.

“We always go better with a Manly person in charge — history proves that on and off the field,” he said.

LATE INTRODUCTIONS

MARTIN Taupau will not come face to face with his new Manly coach until well into January.

Taupau will be off to England after today’s Auckland Test match against Australia for the Kiwis’ tour of England, which involves three Tests against a Wayne Bennett-coached England.

Team P W L PD Pts
12 9 3 83 22
13 10 3 80 22
13 9 4 110 20
12 7 5 64 18
12 7 5 -37 18
13 7 6 133 16
13 7 6 47 16
13 7 6 -34 16
13 6 6 27 15
13 6 6 26 15
12 6 6 77 14