[Resurrected] Zorba's 'Statistics don't lie'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except he had a grand final won before Wolfman and the refs butchered it

If Wolfy never impersonated Ben Hunt we win

If the ref knew what a forward pass or knock on is we win

If Barrett wins anything it's because he inherited Geoffs team
Tooves inherited what Des mainly created and polished it further while losing depth, Barrett has a harder job of creating a new era while extracting more from our ageing quality backs.

Tooves inherited what Des mainly created and polished it further while losing depth, Barrett has a harder job of creating a new era while extracting more from our ageing quality backs.

If If If If only I was coaching at the time we would never lose another game again.

Look at Guerra strolling through our forwards on our LHS before perpetuating the Wolfie Cost the '13 GF :mad:
Manly were up by 10 points with 20 to go even with Wolfie's two botched bomb takes.
Then Cummins watched Maloney's forward pass and stayed mute :wondering:
And Ferris and Choc waved SBW through - twice :cool:

Tooves would have succeeded at Manly, if the Disgruntled Mob of the 2 Stewarts/Foran and Choc had played footy instead of politics :swear:

ZtH forgot to check 2V's Stats, esecially his 28 years' as a Fan Favourite :inlove:

The damage to the goodwill aspect of the Franchise will cost more $$$ before it recovers.
Lets hope that Baz the Wunderkinde, gets his first GF win in 2016@:D

Apart from the way it was done to get to this point I can see where the club is headed in the future, and yes our aging centres could in fact be our Achilles heal in 2016.

It has nothing to do with whether Toovey could coach or not! There were significant factions in the club politics, and Toovey allowed himself to be caught on one side of it. It has been done to death, but fact is he lost sections of the dressing room also. Once that happens, and there is a welcoming ear from those involved in the power play and crucial players, the revolt just gathers momentum. I have NO doubt Zorba was a keen player in these revolts, as he dragged Foran, Stewart's and Whatmough into a disaffected rationale, and used his relationship with these players to undermine Toovey and other staff. Toovey doesn't need to be a brilliant tactician-he needs to be respected and supported. This was fractured at the behest of Zorba and his cohorts. Be clear, Geoff Toovey was never going to be a puppet. The minute they wanted him gone, they choked his plans and white anted him through media leaks etc. He was dead man walking from 2014. It was a disgraceful way to treat him, and many will not forget. Some will pay an ultimate price in due course.

I would love to applaud your posts regarding Toovey, but your assessments are very skewed. You don't need to be a brilliant tactician. You can hire these in as assistants. But I get your sentiment that Toovey was never accepted by the board as a long term candidate. There were some early rumblings of disaffection amongst Dessie's loyal servants, which made it difficult for Tooves to be recognised in his own right. He was the assistant who had to step up quick to the top job. Had Toovey come in and not had this assistant relationship with the players, his pedigree as a captain of the club and past legend would have served him better. To the players, he was always a step behind King Dessie

I would love to applaud your posts regarding Toovey, but your assessments are very skewed. You don't need to be a brilliant tactician. You can hire these in as assistants. But I get your sentiment that Toovey was never accepted by the board as a long term candidate. There were some early rumblings of disaffection amongst Dessie's loyal servants, which made it difficult for Tooves to be recognised in his own right. He was the assistant who had to step up quick to the top job. Had Toovey come in and not had this assistant relationship with the players, his pedigree as a captain of the club and past legend would have served him better. To the players, he was always a step behind King Dessie
Being a Captain and leading by example with actions is a different kind of leadership than being able to garner the respect of players with a commanding aura while continuing to remain fresh and relevant.

The biggest quality Tooves had was delegating and picking the brains of others in technical areas and usually picking the best elements while filtering the crap---this is what makes a good Coach.

Admiring his sporting toughness due to his lack of size does not necessarily translate to being a great Coach that leads men and attracts new players.

Apart from the way it was done to get to this point I can see where the club is headed in the future, and yes our aging centres could in fact be our Achilles heal in 2016.
The aging centres is not the issue, if we have more forward grunt it will take a load off both our leadership tough inspirational centres to play like tough leaders and back to using their class.

If we lack punch in the forwards again this year DCE is going to look terrible and our backs no room to move---our backs are fine if they remain fresh for the next 2yrs even with age.(in the past the lack of punch was covered by the class of Foran, Glenn Stewart along with DCE being able to still create even when we did not go forward----now we don't have as many experienced options)

No Foran feeding the outside backs on the left or holding up the central defenders to feed DCE deep second man plays on the right side might have both our outside backs struggling.

If we don't gain some punch through the middle it is going to be another long season.

The aging centres is not the issue, if we have more forward grunt it will take a load off both our leadership tough inspirational centres to play like tough leaders and back to using their class.

If we lack punch in the forwards again this year DCE is going to look terrible and our backs no room to move---our backs are fine if they remain fresh for the next 2yrs even with age.(in the past the lack of punch was covered by the class of Foran, Glenn Stewart along with DCE being able to still create even when we did not go forward----now we don't have as many experienced options)

No Foran feeding the outside backs on the left or holding up the central defenders to feed DCE deep second man plays on the right side might have both our outside backs struggling.

If we don't gain some punch through the middle it is going to be another long season.

Leading on from that with the team you see on paper ( not rumours ) do you see that we will have punch through the middle???, or is it too early to tell?

Being a Captain and leading by example with actions is a different kind of leadership than being able to garner the respect of players with a commanding aura while continuing to remain fresh and relevant.

The biggest quality Tooves had was delegating and picking the brains of others in technical areas and usually picking the best elements while filtering the crap---this is what makes a good Coach.

Admiring his sporting toughness due to his lack of size does not necessarily translate to being a great Coach that leads men and attracts new players.
Agree, they are all relevant criteria. There is so much more pressure on the coaches and the ridiculous scrutiny and pressure is not productive to healthy happy environments. Just the way it is now I guess. My point is GT does not have to be an expert in all areas, but needed to be across all the detail of what was required to be head coach.

Leading on from that with the team you see on paper ( not rumours ) do you see that we will have punch through the middle???, or is it too early to tell?
I know that question was not directed at me, but I feel that the answer is relative to the attitude of the team and players. We built a great "team" from 2005, and the basis for the forwards success was drive, culture and commitment. The 1%ers. We turned some average footballers into playing well above their weight and our go forward and relentless pushes through the middle of the ruck undeniably is where the platforms were laid. Couple this with a low mistake rate and good completions of sets, and your chances of winning a football game are increased exponentially. The team on paper for 2016 look good, but my guess is it will increase to read well in 2017/18 and beyond. As soon as the coach falters, he will be chopped down and replaced along with the players who are seen to be not putting in. That is the NRL today. I think the white anting of coaches from within these days is at epidemic proportions.

Im not sure if its available but it would be interesting to know what the stats were once we were playing with our nearly full squad
I think it would be different when comparing the first 13 rounds to the last 13 rounds when our injuries and contract negotiations were happening
Not that it make any difference as they wanted Toov's gone

Well the main stat that matters is this
1-13 Won 3
14-16 Won 8

didn't know where to stick this...chose here as it was in zorba's column but....

SAD PASSING

The Sea Eagles lost a true friend with the passing of long-time sponsor Tony Nahabedian last week.

The name of his company AAA Radiators was worn into battle by the Sea Eagles in several grand finals.

The funeral service was held last Wednesday.

condolences to the family.

This info probably deserves better treatment than this thread, sorry.

ZtH threatened Manly when he was made redundant, that AAA would pull their sponsorship @:cool:

RIP and condolences to the family :angel:

I know that question was not directed at me, but I feel that the answer is relative to the attitude of the team and players. We built a great "team" from 2005, and the basis for the forwards success was drive, culture and commitment. The 1%ers. We turned some average footballers into playing well above their weight and our go forward and relentless pushes through the middle of the ruck undeniably is where the platforms were laid. Couple this with a low mistake rate and good completions of sets, and your chances of winning a football game are increased exponentially. The team on paper for 2016 look good, but my guess is it will increase to read well in 2017/18 and beyond. As soon as the coach falters, he will be chopped down and replaced along with the players who are seen to be not putting in. That is the NRL today. I think the white anting of coaches from within these days is at epidemic proportions.

Great post mate. Couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7