2023 Pacific Championship

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Just quietly, how poor was the crowd!!! For all the talk of rugby league booming in NZ on the back of the Warriors doing pretty well, that crowd stunk and looked embarrassing for international rugby league - the two premier teams, what’s more. Even Melbourne managed to pull a better crowd for a ‘dead rubber’. Shame on the kiwis. They don’t deserve a SOO after that dismal effort.

Jake was conspicuous by his absence imo. There wouldn't have been 30 missed tackles in the 1st half if he played.

I really believe the Kangaroos were way too cocky after being all over the Kiwi's last week. They played like they thought they could just turn up and weren't expecting the Kiwi pack to come out and be so dominant. Perhaps mentally ill-prepared...

As for DCE I don't blame him for that loss. He tried, but there's only so much he could do behind such a soft pack.

Jake's omission was a defensive mistake. He might not be the worlds greatest hit up prop, but the Kangaroos missed his defence in the middle yesterday.

My own Kangaroos player ratings:

FB - Tedesco - 4 - Tried hard but had very little help

WG - Holmes - 5 - Our best player

CE - Tabuai-Fidow - 1 - Saw little of the ball in attack and his edge defence was atrocious.

CE - Staggs - 1 - Dropped balls in attack and was as atrocious on the right as Hammer was on the left.

WG - Edwards - 2 - Caught a couple of bombs, but otherwise was inept on the wing.

FE - Munster - 1 - Completely MIA in attack and compounded Hammer's defensive misery with his own.

HB - Cherry-Evans - 4 - Played a lone hand and tried to get things going.

PR - Haas - 1 - Completely dominated. His worst senior game, ever.

HK - Hunt - 1 - Got sent backwards from the first Kiwi hit up, and never went forward again.

PR - Fa'asuamaleaui - 1 - Even his mullet was a non-event.

SR - Martin - 2 - Arguably our best forward. That tells you everything about this game.

SR - Cotter - 1 - All at sea in the back row

LK - Yeo - 1 - His worst game ever in green and gold. Completely ineffective.

Bench
Grant - 1 - No dummy half runs and his defence was pathetic yesterday
Collins - 1 - As good as he was last week, was MIA this week
Carrigan - 1 - Another of our forward failures yesterday.
Hynes - 1 - Out of his depth in rep footy. 3 games, 3 poor defensive efforts, 3 tries against.

Apparently the decision on the venue was a late one. Plus it was played in Hamilton, a city with a population of less than 200k.

They might have had a much better crowd in the Auck, the spiritual epicentre of Enzed rugba league.
Hamilton and the Waikato is a big rugby and sporting area. I thought the place would have been packed. Very poor turnout - but really who cares about RL in November. Not me.

CE - Tabuai-Fidow - 1 - Saw little of the ball in attack and his edge defence was atrocious.

CE - Staggs - 1 - Dropped balls in attack and was as atrocious on the right as Hammer was on the left.

WG - Edwards - 2 - Caught a couple of bombs, but otherwise was inept on the wing.

FE - Munster - 1 - Completely MIA in attack and compounded Hammer's defensive misery with his own.

HK - Hunt - 1 - Got sent backwards from the first Kiwi hit up, and never went forward again.

SR - Martin - 2 - Arguably our best forward. That tells you everything about this game.

Bench
Hynes - 1 - Out of his depth in rep footy. 3 games, 3 poor defensive efforts, 3 tries against.
Is it just me or is Nicho Hynes one of the most overrated players going around? I know he had a good year in 22 but I’ve always found the hype around this guy ott.

Is it just me or is Nicho Hynes one of the most overrated players going around? I know he had a good year in 22 but I’ve always found the hype around this guy ott.
It's not just you. He is creative and can have some really strong club games but he does not have the structure to be effective against quality opposition, which is why he comes undone during finals and rep matches. It's easy to carve the Tigers up at Shark Park, etc. I think his story compelled viewer as well. The difficult upbringing and the late bloomer tag seemed to really generate fandom. This fandom colours the game's perspective on Nicho.

Bench
I mostly agree but didn't think haas, tino and yeo were as bad as that. Definitely outplayed and nowhere near their potential; but better than 1.

I mostly agree but didn't think haas, tino and yeo were as bad as that. Definitely outplayed and nowhere near their potential; but better than 1.

You're right, they weren't that bad.

They were worse.

I'm sorry but that was the most inept, pathetic display I have ever seen from a front row rotation. Completely outplayed and completely dominated.

Just quietly, how poor was the crowd!!! For all the talk of rugby league booming in NZ on the back of the Warriors doing pretty well, that crowd stunk and looked embarrassing for international rugby league - the two premier teams, what’s more. Even Melbourne managed to pull a better crowd for a ‘dead rubber’. Shame on the kiwis. They don’t deserve a SOO after that dismal effort.
Agree, the whole tournament been pretty poorly attended, the game at Eden Park had more people against Samoa.
New Zealand a tough market outside of Auckland, Waikato has supported league in past warriors games and rlwc 2017.
Warriors have alot more national presence than the kiwis.

Game just emphasises how important a forward pack is to success. NZ forwards monstered us. Sea Eagles need a lot more monster in our pack for 2024 if we are to stay relevant in the game.

Apparently the decision on the venue was a late one. Plus it was played in Hamilton, a city with a population of less than 200k.

They might have had a much better crowd in the Auck, the spiritual epicentre of Enzed rugba league.
Maybe so, but I wouldn’t exactly call Melbourne the spiritual epicentre of rugba league in AUS and they still got there in reasonable numbers. I personally think the hype around the Warriors might have been a bit deceptive and talk of taking a SOO over there might be a bit premature. Just my opinion though.

Bench
Summed it up pretty well and agree that Holmes, DCE and Teddy were the best of a bad bunch.

Also I rated Meninga's presser at a 2 for deflecting from his team's performance and not directly answering the journo's questions. Added to that, surely he could've finished eating properly before the presser!

Surely the Aussies dominating last weeks game had a detrimental effect effect on the crowd. A lot of people would've thought the result was a forgone conclusion possibly including the Kangaroos themselves.

Good on the Kiwis and the handful of hardy souls that turned up, for showing the belief and desire to get the job done. If this was a 3 game series you could bet the crowd for the final would be a lot better.

A small part of me was disappointed with the Aussies but a bigger part of me loves to see any sort of competition in the international game.

It was just one of those days, like Sea Eagles beating Melbourne 40 - 0. It happens when one team is really ‘on’ and another ‘not so’.

With the level of competition and the talent missing, albeit lots from both sides missing, the result probably would have been reversed, however, all credit to the Kiwis, as they obviously wanted to win more than the Kangaroos.

It was a really strange game with how much the Kiwis completely dominated the Kangaroos forwards, when on paper, you’d probably think the opposite would happen.

Good luck to the Kiwis, and it was an enjoyable game to watch.

Ultimately, from the start, with the Haka and , not confronting the Kangaroos like last week, they were really ‘up for it’ and it showed. The Kangaroos were just never in it, and as Munster said, ‘Probably attitude.’.

I was going to say that DCE did SFA, however, neither did Munster, Tedesco tried, but ultimately did.SFA and the centres were like they were already at the bar having a drink.

Just watched this 1995 match for the first time. It has some great tries, including a long range effort by Menzies. In total, there was six 1995 Sea Eagles playing - Menzies, Toovey, Hill, Carroll, Kosef & Ridge. If it was possible to magically pluck one of these players from the past, who do you think would most improve the 2024 Sea Eagles?

Toovey, who played an inspiring game as dummy half

Just watched this 1995 match for the first time. It has some great tries, including a long range effort by Menzies. In total, there was six 1995 Sea Eagles playing - Menzies, Toovey, Hill, Carroll, Kosef & Ridge. If it was possible to magically pluck one of these players from the past, who do you think would most improve the 2024 Sea Eagles?
I'd take Beaver, because he's still one of my favourite players of all time. That said, Mark Carroll would probably be more likely to improve our current pack. A middle forward like Spud, all grunt and aggression, is one of our biggest needs.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8