Addin Fonua-Blake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Impressed with his performance in the nsw cup trial yesterday
So without proper clearance the NRL allow these guys to play NSW Cup but not NRL? If so why the distinction between the two when the player is essentially contracted to the NRL via the club?

So without proper clearance the NRL allow these guys to play NSW Cup but not NRL? If so why the distinction between the two when the player is essentially contracted to the NRL via the club?
I think because NSW cup, ball and flegg are run by the NSWRL and not the NRL. hence why Hoppa is coaching ball when the NRL didn't want him as coach

Maybe someone with a bit more know can clear things up.
As far as I am aware he was charged in January 2015 for assault on his girlfriend, he plead guilty and received 12 month suspended sentence and was dropped by the Dragons.

Did he ever receive a ban from the NRL. Didn't Lui only get 12 months after he bashed his pregnant parter two years in a row.
I would love to see the NRL get tougher on domestic abuse, but what I want to know is what is happening with him?
Are he NRL not registering his contract? Have we even offered him one? Is he even able to play NRL or is he seen as a NSW cup player?

I remember he had big wraps on him, I hope he proves not to be a dickhead signing

Maybe someone with a bit more know can clear things up.
As far as I am aware he was charged in January 2015 for assault on his girlfriend, he plead guilty and received 12 month suspended sentence and was dropped by the Dragons.

Did he ever receive a ban from the NRL. Didn't Lui only get 12 months after he bashed his pregnant parter two years in a row.
I would love to see the NRL get tougher on domestic abuse, but what I want to know is what is happening with him?
Are he NRL not registering his contract? Have we even offered him one? Is he even able to play NRL or is he seen as a NSW cup player?

I remember he had big wraps on him, I hope he proves not to be a dickhead signing
Greenberg may not register it because according to the rule of Todd, it wasn't covered up well enough (e.g. blaming gambling, a crew of mates and throwing it all under the tag of "drinking problem" and AFB didn't spend 5 minutes at a northern beaches rehab facility...

I think because NSW cup, ball and flegg are run by the NSWRL and not the NRL. hence why Hoppa is coaching ball when the NRL didn't want him as coach
That's strange that the NRL did not want Hoppa as coach. Then why did the NRL hand pick him to do a coaching course?

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
I love having Fonua Blake and Vave on the bench as they provide great impact but I noticed last week when they are on the field together they are slow around the ruck in defense. In my view we need to limit the time they are on the field together. Lawrence on the other hand is a lot more mobile and provides better defense in tight to the ruck.

I love having Fonua Blake and Vave on the bench as they provide great impact but I noticed last week when they are on the field together they are slow around the ruck in defense. In my view we need to limit the time they are on the field together. Lawrence on the other hand is a lot more mobile and provides better defense in tight to the ruck.

Great analysis and I agree. Vave and AFB should be paired with tackling machines like Starling, Jake and Myles (or whoever tackles lots). Awesome go forward paired with defensive excellence!!!

Last year when people were screaming for this fella, the Turbos, Parcell and perhaps Addison I was a little sceptical to see so many new guys thrown up to first grade ... Now it's pretty obvious they are the future

Back in the day, Noel Cleal was the most powerful and destructive runner in the game, but was often missing in defense.

Urban myth has it that at training one of his fellow forwards complained to Bozo that he was doing all Noel's tackling for him.

Bozo is believed to have replied "If you wont do it, piss off and I'll get somebody who will." Noels job was to run the football.

It is one of the sad aspects of our modern game, that we take our best attacking forwards and turn them into tackling machines.

Case in point is Kapow, 80min of tackling and hard to have anything left in attack.

Back in the day, Noel Cleal was the most powerful and destructive runner in the game, but was often missing in defense.

Urban myth has it that at training one of his fellow forwards complained to Bozo that he was doing all Noel's tackling for him.

Bozo is believed to have replied "If you wont do it, piss off and I'll get somebody who will." Noels job was to run the football.

It is one of the sad aspects of our modern game, that we take our best attacking forwards and turn them into tackling machines.

Case in point is Kapow, 80min of tackling and hard to have anything left in attack.
True. Terry Randall did most of the tackling for attacking forwards such as Phil Lowe.

Great analysis and I agree. Vave and AFB should be paired with tackling machines like Starling, Jake and Myles (or whoever tackles lots). Awesome go forward paired with defensive excellence!!!

"or whoever tackles" he he he

Chris Kennedy WWW.NRL.COM
Thu, Apr 21, 2016 - 12:00PM

The bustling debut of young Sea Eagles prop Addin Fonua-Blake has drawn praise from two of the men who have been in good form for the club in the same position, ahead of the team's crucial visit to Newcastle on Anzac Day.

Injected off the bench by coach Trent Barrett just before half-time for a 22-minute spell, then brought back for the final 11 minutes, the ex-Dragon raised eyebrows with some bruising runs and tackles.

It's a key period for the one-time Junior Kiwi who was sacked by St George Illawarra for disciplinary reasons at the start of last year before being handed a lifeline by Manly.

In a tense game against the Eels on debut, the Mascot junior racked up 100 metres from just eight carries with one tackle bust, and made 21 tackles with no misses in a highly promising debut.

With Brenton Lawrence returning from a hip strain to face the Knights, Fonua Blake has been preferred to Josh Starling for a spot on the bench and Lawrence praised the impact the debutant made last week.

"He's a good ball runner, he's very hard to stop, big and strong," Lawrence told NRL.com.

"For his first game I think he showed some great confidence and given more opportunity I think he could be an exciting player. He's hard to stop and that's the name of the game really."

Lock Jake Trbojevic – himself a breakout star at prop just a year ago – was highly impressed by the first-up effort.

"I thought he was outstanding for his first game, he was incredible," Trbojevic told NRL.com.

"We'll be looking for more of that from him. He was really good, real strong, didn't look out of place one bit and really dominated at times I thought. It's exciting to play with him again and have him out there.

"He's just really strong and hard to tackle and he's got good footwork and I think that really showed on Thursday night against Parra, he had some good touches.

"He's a quality player, it was only a matter of time til he got out there and we've all seen what he did, he was really impressive."

Trbojevic said he himself was fully fit following a minor knee injury that forced his withdrawal from the loss to the Rabbitohs in Round 5 and was looking forward to his second Anzac Day NRL game after helping his team to a win over the Storm in Melbourne on April 25 last year.

"I played last Anzac Day, we played down in Melbourne. It was a pretty special occasion and the way the NRL did it was pretty cool. We had a good win so it made it all the better, it was a good day," Trbojevic said.

Trbojevic was expecting a much improved Newcastle side to the injury-ravaged one that was trounced by the Broncos last week.

"They had a big crowd there when they played the Tigers a couple of weeks ago, they had 21 thousand or something and we're expecting the same. Public holiday, Anzac Day, they'll get a big turnout and they're playing really good footy up there. They'll really buy into it and it should be a good atmosphere up there," he said.

"They're a different team at home, last week is tough to take anything out of, they ended up with no bench which makes it tough for any side so they'll be really good up there."

For an apparent lack of mobility having no missed tackles is pretty good. However in saying that I do agree that we need to be careful who we partner him with on the field.

If we were giving out plodder titles on the forum @Ryan would be captain plod ;) :)

Thank you @Jase2450 I'm glad someone saw the lack of mobility that I saw. We have far too many plodders.

If only BJ and Jake had been close enough to see what you saw Ryan.

With that "good footwork" he will be giving plodders everywhere a bad name.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8