Club News 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Thank you for another Positive Manly Post @The Wheel

The Future is bright for all young Manly players indeed

Picture courtesy of Manly Media
Workshop time...Tim Gee with Latu Fainu (left) and Samuela Fainu

Thanks for that , just have not noticed much of Crusher with snap shots the past 10 years or so . Guess that time moves on for all of us and aging in different ways . Did recognize Ian Roberts after a closer look and a couple of others when the photo was expanded . Wouldn 't have picked Russel Gartner though
Frog Eyes has filled out in the off season!

Fainu part of the NRL squad?
There was an article a few weeks ago saying him and his brother are both in the NRL squad

Sounds like all going well but would have been good to have some info about whether they'll be ready for Round 1, or if not, a rough idea when to expect them.
Except poor Boyle sounds like he's still a fair way off.

There was an article a few weeks ago saying him and his brother are both in the NRL squad
We are really backing the kids

We've got a core of experience now so that's not a bad approach, just need another couple more of the younguns to break through now.
Fulton and Weekes for example.

Sounds like all going well but would have been good to have some info about whether they'll be ready for Round 1, or if not, a rough idea when to expect them.
Except poor Boyle sounds like he's still a fair way off.
Boyle cannot cop a break.......or more like he constantly breaks

I am so excited about backing the Kids

Des seemed to only back his staring 13 which was frustrating to watch especially after consecutive loses
But don't forget his starting side included several young players, Saab, Koula, Tuipulotu, Olakau'atu. The only young gun who didn't feature much was Schuster and a lot's been written about all the reasons for that.

I'm cautiously optimistic about next season after a general re-set at the club, but by no means convinced you'll see very different selections or game plans. Will watch with interest anyway.

But don't forget his starting side included several young players, Saab, Koula, Tuipulotu, Olakau'atu. The only young gun who didn't feature much was Schuster and a lot's been written about all the reasons for that.

I'm cautiously optimistic about next season after a general re-set at the club, but by no means convinced you'll see very different selections or game plans. Will watch with interest anyway.
This is the way I saw it

His starting side included all those players when the others were injured
Des was known to make changes through injury and not through form

I think we will see a different game plan to that of Des
I think our new coaches will be smart enough to look at the Manly game tapes and make changes to his failed game plans .

This is the way I saw it

His starting side included all those players when the others were injured
Des was known to make changes through injury and not through form

I think we will see a different game plan to that of Des
I think our new coaches will be smart enough to look at the Manly game tapes and make changes to his failed game plans .
IMO there is far more damage that can be done to young players by rushing them into first grade than by gradually progressing them. Or worse, by cycling them around like they're in a washing machine and hoping something will stick. I don't recall Seibold's selection tendancies at the Broncos so he may be sweet in that department but I hope for our player's sake he's at least somewhat loyal/patient.

While we all were (and are) keen to see new players at times, more often than not that's born out of desperation and is based on potential rather than genuine form. The players that truly never forced their way into the top 17 ended up failing to prove themselves both at the club and elsewhere. Moses Suli is a great example of this. In terms of the consequences of rushing players look no further than Albert Hopoate. Im sure you and I were both keen as nails to see him be a full-time starter anywhere in our backline. We couldn't really tell why he was being 'held back'. Finally he was forced in through injury and played quite flat. Then his performances just got worse and he clearly wasn't ready (also a little injured at the time). Only now is he building into a first grade side again but there's no doubt his confidence got shot out of the water after that period.

Injury definitely got a lot of Olakautau and what not into first grade as you mentioned, but they were forced to fight hard to earn and keep their spot. To their (and Des') credit, their hard work was rewarded at the end of the day and that jersey was now theirs to protect. Loyalty/Benefit of the doubt was given to those who held the jersey earlier, but if the incumbent player got a sustained opportunity and improved they were kept there. At the end of the day we almost exclusively nutured our players over the 2019-2022 period. Those that 'couldn't crack the side' moved on and haven't been missed (apologies if any of them read this!). Des' selection was no doubt too rigid, but it was hardly our undoing. Admittedly he was probably a little hamstrung with the salary cap so he probably didn't have too many options to recruit, but we now have a young, somewhat talented foundation (albeit with various other issues/catches).

Nice to see Jamie B back to get his plaque , he was one of the best players for fan interaction when I was running my supporter tours.

His Lovely wife Grace was an employee of the MWSE for a while , I had a fair bit to do with her as well.
I agree Mark, they're both great people and make an awesome couple.

Speaking of Grace, brought back memories....I recall her running the supporters' bus to away games many years ago, possibly even pre-Jamie.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4