Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Siefold signed Woods, and let two promising props go the the Dragons.

Seirolled won't finish top four this year like Des did.

Spoonbold won't get us anywhere near a prelim without Turbo in the side. Des did, do you remember that Bunnies semi where Jake got binned?

Seitoldyaheis****e guided the Broncos to their first ever spoon.

Anthony "I learned so much working for Eddie," didn't have to deal with a divisive rainbow jersey slipped through the backdoor unannounced by "Scott" from marketing. Nor did he have to front the salivating media hordes alone, coaching a fractured team while our narcissistic owner plotted his demise in the background.

Coach Foolsgold will never win a premiership in the NRL.
I could not agree with you more. I find it baffling that people think Anthony "The Myth" Siebold can coach! He barely could play at the top level. 14 I believe, is the number of games he played in the NRL. Sure he played in the super league but does that really prepare you for the challenges of NRL coaching let alone at a club with such a proud history. One that has never claimed the dreaded prize for coming last. A prize which he proudly bestowed upon the hapless Broncos.

Now I know you don't have to have played extensively in the NRL in order to be a successful coach, I mean look at Trent Robinson but he does get to distribute Uncle Nick's brown paper bags to anyone and everyone they set their sights on signing, at will it appears.

But you do have to have some idea of the rigours of first grade. I'm not convinced this bloke does! Probably a job in the media is were he belongs. Spins a good story from what I can tell!

Des had his faults but I become more convinced by the day that his demise was more to do with personality differences with the owner.

Tooves is back at the club, surely they can organise a job swap! "The Myth" has to go IMHO.

I was shot down before the season started for calling Siebold "Spoonbold". I was one of those supporters against signing him when Penny decided to punt Hasler. I also said if the Politics was bad at Brisbane wait until you cross the bridge to Manly. The rest of this season could get ugly if Siebold and the rest of Manly's expensive coaching department can't get this team to turn it around in the coming months. Our next game is at home against the Sharks which scares me as much as the real thing. 😔

We had handicaps then and we still have them. It’s called being injury prone and having no adequate depth. And we all know why this issue occurs - at least with lack of depth. The one positive is that one of those players we pay total overs for at least plays every game at full fitness.
Yeah I agree to with that too. Prior to the blame shifting to the coaching team, the main issues being discussed were long term squad issues. Including; a) injury, b) weak links in the playing squad (in defence, mindset, consistency etc.) and c) salary cap distribution (stemming back to late 2010’s).

I think these had far more merit

I don’t think our recruitment has been particularly exciting but then again it’s understandable how retention and development was the main policy in recent years. It was only after mid-2022 - without a host of players nonetheless - that we started to lose faith in the playing squad. Then a few good games came on board and we famously capitulated shortly after.

If we want to pull off the bandaid and truly get to comparing the seasons (amidst the rollercoaster that it has been) I dont think there’s much more to offer other than stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he has shown the ability to make changes. But he needs to be courageous soon otherwise another ordinary season. DCE to 9 with new halves who give good early service. Burbo to 13 and a new centre to partner Koula.

I was shot down before the season started for calling Siebold "Spoonbold". I was one of those supporters against signing him when Penny decided to punt Hasler. I also said if the Politics was bad at Brisbane wait until you cross the bridge to Manly. The rest of this season could get ugly if Siebold and the rest of Manly's expensive coaching department can't get this team to turn it around in the coming months. Our next game is at home against the Sharks which scares me as much as the real thing. 😔
Whaddaya want? A medal? 😉🤣🤣🤣😢😢😢😢😢

It paints a terribly alarming picture. What makes it even more concerning is Siebold's assertion these past two weeks that we have started the year well. Sure we won a couple of trials. Then we beat a seriously undermanned Bulldogs, had a bye, hung on by our fingernails against Parra, lost to a seriously undermanned Bunnies, got smashed by Penrith, beat an undermanned Storm, just beat the Tigers, got flogged at home by the Titans, and got smashed by the Broncos.

I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't add up to much in my book.

His reference to the good start reeks of desperation. We are miles off the pace and he needs to start being an NRL coach by calling out these sub par performances for what they are.
Gee you’ve started to pile onto the team quick!

Punting a proven premiership winning coach who lives and breathes Manly for Seibold was a wildly absurd move.

Before the pride round, Des was slowly but surely cultivating a team that could win without their best players on the park.

After Barrett, and with a far less impressive roster, we made the finals twice, including top 4, and were a good chance last year before our genius marketing team derailed the season.
(2020 was actually the anomaly with manase being arrested on the eve of the season, Jake missing full preseason, Thompson too recovering from life threatening accident, des on pain medication all year, and turbo injured and our 6 walker as well, plus mid season rule changes that went in direct opposition to the players and style we were building on).

People may disagree with some of his selections, and goodness knows he needed to delegate some roles to seasoned assistants, but I always felt more secure as a Manly fan knowing Hasler was in charge. Unfortunately with Seibold, he is in way over his head. A lot of talk, quite proud of himself for organising coffee groups, says all the right bs, but lacking the foundation that guys like Des, Wayne, or Craig have. This season will continue to derail under the new coach, but don't even blame Seibold. We all know that as long as Penn owns our club, we will fade into obscurity. My prediction is that within 24 months the Tigers will be winning more games than us. And if our recruitment continue to trade in the market as they have been, our first spoon is just around the corner. For all the optimists out there, watch closely

I was happy to give him a shot but I'm not feeling overly impressed.

As the less interested in footy person in this house says every time she sees him in a press conference/talking to players/being interviewed, he's just an emotionless lump.

My current take on him is that he's the kind of person who studies the successful strategies of other coaches and tries to apply it but without understanding the personalities that went with it. Imagine someone trying to replicate what Bennet does based entirely on strategy rather than seeing the player relationships and invested time.

Prove me wrong Anthony.

I was happy to give him a shot but I'm not feeling overly impressed.

As the less interested in footy person in this house says every time she sees him in a press conference/talking to players/being interviewed, he's just an emotionless lump.

My current take on him is that he's the kind of person who studies the successful strategies of other coaches and tries to apply it but without understanding the personalities that went with it. Imagine someone trying to replicate what Bennet does based entirely on strategy rather than seeing the player relationships and invested time.

Prove me wrong Anthony.
Trent Barret was a good talker as well
But he proved that he could not walk the talk
I really do hope for the sake of our Legendary club that Seibold does succeed
Manly losing its Magnificence over the years is Killing me

Just watched the press conference and was not impressed, it sounded like a PR exercise with no real criticism of the team and quite a few times saying that the Broncos are coming first for a reason.

Watch the Dolphins play. Their roster should be way worse than ours.

Their forwards have it so easy because the hooker gets them the ball at the advantage line wide of the markers. Bennet has always been the prop whisperer. I believe that's because he keeps it real simple - time your run, tuck the ball and go hard.

Their defence knows when to slide, when to come in and how to get numbers in the tackle. You can see the communication, even from marker with defenders pointing and calling who they have. Then they actually make the tackle - because they care about their personal accountability, their coach, their teammates and the fans. They don't wrestle a great deal but take their time to get off the ball carrier in the correct order most of the time with the markers in position and defensive line set.

Lots of kick pressure - something we haven't put any effort into for years and good kick chase.

They do the basics so well. That's 90% of rugby league. If we built our roster around TT, DCE, Ola and a bunch of guys who are happy to do this we would have been sweet.

But our team just wants to score tries and sometimes bash the other guys. Everything else is hard work.

Watch the Dolphins play. Their roster should be way worse than ours.

Their forwards have it so easy because the hooker gets them the ball at the advantage line wide of the markers. Bennet has always been the prop whisperer. I believe that's because he keeps it real simple - time your run, tuck the ball and go hard.

Their defence knows when to slide, when to come in and how to get numbers in the tackle. You can see the communication, even from marker with defenders pointing and calling who they have. Then they actually make the tackle - because they care about their personal accountability, their coach, their teammates and the fans. They don't wrestle a great deal but take their time to get off the ball carrier in the correct order most of the time with the markers in position and defensive line set.

Lots of kick pressure - something we haven't put any effort into for years and good kick chase.

They do the basics so well. That's 90% of rugby league. If we built our roster around TT, DCE, Ola and a bunch of guys who are happy to do this we would have been sweet.

But our team just wants to score tries and sometimes bash the other guys. Everything else is hard work.
For several years we have a hooker that can tackle, but that's about it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6