Hoppa News!!!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Will Hopoate to leave the Sea Eagles at end of season
13/05/2011 2:52:27 PM
Will Hopoate has today decided to leave the Sea Eagles at the completion of the 2011 NRL Season. Hopoate will take up as a missionary for the Mormon Church.

Speaking to the media on Friday, Hopoate said it was his decision.

“At the end of the day it was all my decision. This is what I want to do.”

While he had a lot of advice from family, friends and Coach Des Hasler, the final decision on the matter was made by Will.

“I spoke about it with Dad and Tyron they advised me on things but at the end of the day this is what I decided to do.

“I told the boys this is not something I’m forced to do or something I have to do, this is something that I want to do.”

Will said going on this mission will make him “happy” but hasn’t ruled out a return to the League stage when he comes back in 2014.

“I’d like to come back and play but I haven’t thought that far ahead yet. I’m just concentrating on putting in my best this season.

I want to give it a good crack this year and do the best I can for the Manly club. I guess I wouldn’t be as happy as if I stayed and this is what’s going to make me happier at the end of the day.

Scott Penn also spoke to Will and said he is always welcome as part of the Sea Eagles family.

“On behalf of the Sea Eagles we’d like to congratulate Will on a strong decision.

We certainly support you and you have been an integral part of the Sea Eagles family for the last couple of years.

“We’ve loved watching you develop but we certainly would like to see that continue so we’d like to see you come back once you’ve completed and fulfilled your mission and would certainly like to keep you in the family.

To see the full press conference click here.

I blame Lowe for wearing a polo during negotiations, clearly the morman characters must have been in their number ones while discussing the matter

Next year according to people:-

W Hopoate: Mormon tour
D Williams: Parramatta
T Williams: Parramatta
B Kite: UK

(Next years ages)

01. Brett Stewart (27)
02. Michael Robertson (29)
03. Steve Matai (28)
04. Jamie Lyon (30)
05. Michael Oldfield (22)
06. Keiran Foran (22)
07. Daly Cherry-Evans (23)
08. Jason King (31)
09. Matt Ballin (28)
10. George Rose (29)
11. Anthony Watmough (29)
12. Jamie Buhrer (23)
13. Glenn Stewart (28)

14. ???????
15. Joe Galuvao (34)
16. Vic Mauro (25)
17. Shane Rodney (29)

Hoppa will be 21 when / if he returns in 2 years.

Could be something to build around.

There is very little depth after that: Cross, Whare, Harrison, Foran, Seu Seu as the only players of note. It should be noted all these players teams are consistently getting pumped week after week.

This says to me we HAVE to be in the market for a marquee player or two.

Kiwi Eagle said:
I blame Lowe for wearing a polo during negotiations, clearly the morman characters must have been in their number ones while discussing the matter

He didn't have the top button done up on the polo did he? God damn it!!!!

i just hope that he is a man of his word.
i'd hate for him to backflip on his decision at the end of the season once we've spent out full salary cap, and then miraculously only parra or dogs have enough money to sign him?

just imagine if he gets and origin call up, and if he keeps playing the same way i can't see why he wouldn't be talked about for the Aus team? all this could be enough for him to change his mind?

As an Atheist I shake my head at the Religous, I dont dislike them I just dont believe, my choice. I hope Hoppa comes back to Manly like everyone. and I hope someone shows him the Southpark episode of the Mormans.
Good luck young Hoppa.

Its his strength of mind that will determine if he can successfully return, rather than issues surrounding his fitness/skill.

To confidently make such a massive life decision at his young age tells me he can & will.

Jatz Crackers said:
Its his strength of mind that will determine if he can successfully return, rather than issues surrounding his fitness/skill.

To confidently make such a massive life decision at his young age tells me he can & will.

I agree Jatz. The only clarification I would put on that statement would be he can & will, if he wants too.

RE: Hoppas New Mission

patorick2010 said:
Anyone get much of a read off John's body language? Did not seem happy or comfortable at all to me.

Oh and is there a more unprofessional media manager in the NRL than Zorba? What with his baggy t-shirt and all that?

I wouldnt read too much into John, i took it more as a "this isnt about me, it's about will" so he wasnt really looking at the cameras / media so as to not get too much of their attention. then again, he did go over the money thing a few times which probably wasnt all that necessary

had to have a chuckle at zorba the slob

Masked Eagle said:
Jatz Crackers said:

I agree Jatz. The only clarification I would put on that statement would be he can & will, if he wants too.

Yes, and i do think he will want too. Footy is in the family blood & he already has good memories and a second family (Eagles) to reacquaint himself with post mission. Since he has stated that he wouldnt want to play against Manly, it all seems positive.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Will could go to Utah as part of his mission and end up at a Mormon college playing gridiron.. Next thing he's signed to nfl as the most promising rookie running back!

Shoe1 said:
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Will could go to Utah as part of his mission and end up at a Mormon college playing gridiron.. Next thing he's signed to nfl as the most promising rookie running back!

Speaking as though i was a Rugby League commentator, I have one word for you.

Highly improbable.

Firstly he's no Afro-American and secondly he's not 140 kg. He'll most likely be wandering around Sydney suburbs in a suit getting the doors slammed in his face (not mine, I'd want to talk league with him).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8