Hoppa News!!!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Hoppas New Mission

I am yet to see anything good that religion has ever brought to the world. As a kid , I enjoyed fairy tales as much as the next kid but they don't appeal to me much these days. Each to their own I guess.

Daniel said:
Whilst I am certainly not religious myself and disagree with many of the mainstream religions far be it from me to want to detract from someones beliefs, especially if it serves as a reason for good and happiness in someones life

I agree Dan, if he wants to do it then why not, it is his life, and his choice what to do with his life, and I wish him well. If he is not harming anyone else then why not do what you want.

I admire him for doing what he really wants to do, and knocking back the opportunity to earn alot of money ... even though I don't follow his beliefs.

Though in saying that it will be shame to see him walk away from footy, but there are obviously things he feels are more important to him than playing footy.

It could work in Manlys favour for 2011 at least. A bit of extra motivation to grab a premiership before he goes chasing God, Santa claus, the tooth fairy, the bunyip, unicorn , a Cronulla premiership and/or other myth he chooses.

tookey said:
2 years away from the game and training may be too much for him to come back anywhere near the level that he is now at.

I don't think this will be a problem, Brett Stewart has had almost 2 years with no footy and disrupted off seasons so a young injury free Hoppa should be ok.

The difference is Brett was undergoing rehab which would have included various exercises to maintain fitness and strength

Hoppa will be doing little or nothing

lsz said:
The difference is Brett was undergoing rehab which would have included various exercises to maintain fitness and strength

Hoppa will be doing little or nothing

Surely the almighty, all powerful god will help him.

I'm a real Hoppa fan and although dislike many aspects of the religion he follows (and most other religions for that matter), I hope Manly back every inch of the way. From my selfish point of view we can still get any other 8 to 10 yrs watching him play football. It would be much easier taking te option to continue playing footy, receiving the money and the accolades.

i had to take myself away from the computer for a while, just for a breather, ive gathered that footy is still on this year, bring in a premiership 2011 ! BOOM !

Utility Player said:
tookey said:
2 years away from the game and training may be too much for him to come back anywhere near the level that he is now at.

I don't think this will be a problem, Brett Stewart has had almost 2 years with no footy and disrupted off seasons so a young injury free Hoppa should be ok.

Brett was still able to do gym work and most other things besides running. I doubt that hoppa will be doing much excercise other than walking or riding a bike while he is away particularly if they send him to a 3rd word country where there are no gyms.

the only thing Hopoate might be able to do is watch his diet and run, i cant see time for gym, especially if hes going to be moving around with his mission, i also cannot see time for skills and drills, when he comes back hes going to have to go hard or there wont be anything left to salvage. in saying that he will only be 20 years young when he returns !

This kind of thing happens quite often in American Football, mormons everywhere in that sport. It's very rare that you see a professional footballer take that much time off the game & return to their previous level when they come back. The only athlete I can think of that has actually improved after coming back from a long hiatus (in recent memory) is Mike Vick & that bloke is a complete & utter freak of nature.

Hoppa's age is on his side but I'd question his mental commitment towards the game when he comes back. It'd be very hard to get back into that routine after living a completely different life for two years.

Totally torn in my reaction. I really think organised religion has been bad news for the world from day dot. Wars, corruption, greed, social engineering. On the other hand it is truly refreshing to see a young man give up fame money etc. for something he believes in. Groan.

Can Manly sign him for 2 years down the track. To put it in terms which may appeal: good faith?

Fox sports just watched the interview, the money that had been offered to him 1.5 mil deffinately wouldnt have come out of the Manly camp, and Hoppa looked like he was keen on the money offered. If he stayed he would have left !

1.5 over 3 years was too much for him anyway.

Gutted. No guarantees he will come back the same. Whilst his uncle Albert didn't make it to the level that William has, no doubt in my mind it stalled his career as he didn't kick on when he came back. That being said, he could come back and dominate. We just won't know til it happens.

I guess this means Wolfman & Robbo get a reprieve and I'll have to eat my words on thoughts on resigning Matai which I'm happy to do.

Yeah i'll never understand the Mormon religion. Then again, i'm not a Mormon. It makes me wonder though. Why would you bother doing all that training and all that bother if it's not what you wanted to do?

Masked Eagle said:
Gutted. No guarantees he will come back the same. Whilst his uncle Albert didn't make it to the level that William has, no doubt in my mind it stalled his career as he didn't kick on when he came back. That being said, he could come back and dominate. We just won't know til it happens.

I guess this means Wolfman & Robbo get a reprieve and I'll have to eat my words on thoughts on resigning Matai which I'm happy to do.

Since when did Matai resign?

Anyone get much of a read off John's body language? Did not seem happy or comfortable at all to me.

Oh and is there a more unprofessional media manager in the NRL than Zorba? What with his baggy t-shirt and all that?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8