If Toov's has been sacked in the media, A club great prior to the Penn's take over has hit a new low

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
When the hell is the board going to sort themselves out , this has been going on for years and slowly destroying this mighty club .
The place is run so poorly it needs to stop ! !.I
I hope that this can get sorted out and stabilize the board ....move on and start running the joint properly , its going to take a lot for me to accept the treatment of such a great Manly man that Toovey is , it is just unacceptable the way things have played out , im over this crap coming from above while the team struggles and try to put in a good effort with the weight of rubbish placed over them from the so called bosses.
The board needs to shut up and put up and get things running again , im just worried how long this will hang around .... i hope next year we can support this club as a more harmonious place for all.

What people forget is that Tooves lost the playing group late last year and never truly got them back. Some angry old heads shut up because they got golden handshake deals but it doesn't mean the rot stopped.

If you recall Foz the cat mentioned when he went to the all stars that it would be a nice change from Tooves and his style of training. Foz, as big a dick as he's been, is well liked within the playing group. THAT is probably the feeling among a lot of the players. Say what you want about Tooves the legend - yes he is - that is fact - BUT - we should all be cautious in believing everything that comes out in the press verbatim. Not a wise move. As much as Penn is being painted as an ass, it's also entirely possible that they tried to move Tooves on with dignity, but he dug his heels in. Anything is possible and we will probably never know. Just hope for stability and a better product next year and a team we can all get behind that puts in every week and is Hasson free...
Toovey didnt lose the playing group, our administration did when they stuffed up the Gift contract situation which set of a chain reaction amongst the player group which has lead to all this unrest. Toovey it seems is the scapegoat for this mismanagement.

Penn and his group have been undermining Toovey since round one when he was ambushed on TV about DCE and the contract being removed, hes had to front the media and react to things hes not even been informed of.

It might be that Toovey was tapped on the shoulder a while back and the time that was probably was when Barrett was asked to step down at the Riff.

The stability that you, I and the rest of the clubs players , fans and members crave will only happen when there is some fair dinkum honesty coming from our administration because to destroy a club legend like this sends out a horrible message.

Toovey was gone the day the Penn's (and Zorba) took over. It has nothing to do with results.
Yep. Tooves made the big mistake of thinking that the club would be much stronger if the coach and CEO were on the same page. He is now paying the price for being an ally of the CEO who sacked Zorba. Maybe things will settle down now that the last of the Perry faction will be gone, but even if Manly wins the comp next year it won't justify the disgraceful way Tooves has been treated..... Especially considering it was Penn who directed Perry to get rid of Zorba.

Last edited:
I tend to believe that 2V has been told many times, privately, that his services are not required next year but is playing the "nobody has informed me" card, and gaining great sympathy as a result.
What would you rather the club had done? Make an official announcement? I tend to believe that the club had 2V's best interests at heart by not going public early. It seems to have backfired. Certainly the club is being portrayed as the bad guys.
As a lifelong fan of the Sea Eagles I want a strong team, and have been spoilt over the past decade with such success. I'm prepared to give the owners the benefit of the doubt, at the moment, and that they, too, are doing their best to see the Eagles soar.
Time will tell, of course.

The way the new owners of the club have gone about their business has genuinely made me feel physically sick. And anyone who wants to get stuck into me about not being a True Supporter can say what they want.
Maybe somebody should remind the Penn's that our club isn't some sort of rich kids play thing.

I tend to believe that 2V has been told many times, privately, that his services are not required next year but is playing the "nobody has informed me" card, and gaining great sympathy as a result.
What would you rather the club had done? Make an official announcement? I tend to believe that the club had 2V's best interests at heart by not going public early. It seems to have backfired. Certainly the club is being portrayed as the bad guys.
As a lifelong fan of the Sea Eagles I want a strong team, and have been spoilt over the past decade with such success. I'm prepared to give the owners the benefit of the doubt, at the moment, and that they, too, are doing their best to see the Eagles soar.
Time will tell, of course.
One thousand agrees for you sir.

Oh and god help Barrett and Cartwright if they don't turn out to be supercoaches !

It's starting to look like Nathan Tinkler had a more positive effect on the Knights than the Penns are having on Manly. And yes, I know what that's saying.

OK we all knew this was coming, so it's no great shock. The pure truth here is that things went awfully sour when Giftgate occurred. Because Toovey had lurched to the Qantam side of politics, once Penn gained control it was all over red rover for him. None of us are privy to exactly what went on at board level, but I suspect Tooves got too close to the politics of it all and this threatened the Penns big time.
As a Manly legend, he would have sided with the old regime and put the footy club and the purity of his tribal support to the fore. Penns were never going to allow this.
Unfortunately there was an element of political suicide in Toovey's demise.
History will show that once Penn took control, Toovey's fate was sealed. The players knew, the club officials knew-what was left to play out was a slow, painful demise as he was continually white anted and undermined in the media from those within his own club. Very heartbreaking for the pure fans who are not privy to the politics and only care about watching our great team play well and sweep all before them. Tooves was never the political animal Hasler was.
That is what makes him a truly great man and legend of the SeaEagles.
Bravo Geoff Toovey-you fought a great fight against great odds in a political ****storm you had no chance of winning.
Perhaps on reflection, the smartest thing for Tooves to have done is to resign once Penn's took control.
However Toovey's Manly gold plated heart was never going to do that...ever.
The thing with Toovey is...the LEGEND just continues to grow. His legacy and status will permeate any of this recent rubbish and will sit high on the clubs and fans shoulders as the champion he is.
This complex mess was just so avoidable, but the collision course was locked in the day Geoff Toovey put ethics and integrity, along with his ample heart and soul, up against powerful big business corporate owners.
Unfortunately for Geoff and us, there is usually only one winner in that kind of battle.

Last edited:
The dignified play is for Tooves to step down and take up the Aussie role but if the salary numbers they are throwing around are accurate, that's a 600K hit that he may be pissed about taking...

As a football club member I have written an email to Julie Sibraa asking if the Manly rugby league football club will be releasing a statement/comment on what has been happening at the Manly Sea Eagles this past couple of months. I hope they clarify their position.

My Two Cents - ok more like 10 cents worth (apologies for the length)

Geoff Toovey:
I have great respect for Toovey, and like most, see him as a club legend. His best qualities are his loyalty, toughness and passion - these can never be questioned.

Taking in the period he has been coaching, the team he inherited and the results we have seen, I'd suggest Toovey is a decent coach. I don't think he will ever be a great coach and would suggest his talents lay elsewhere. He has impressive experience at board level with NRMA etc, and tertiary qualifications in finance. Two things that Manly are in need of - so I am hoping we can make the most of these skills, along with the fact he bleeds maroon and white.

If board members are angered about him denying he has been told (that he won't be coaching next year) - it goes to show our dysfunction at this level. It is not the coaches job to announce he has been sacked and is another example of this club's stance on communication.

The Club and Bozo:
The best thing the club has done recently is have Bozo involved to inject new life into Manly and use his significant influence and experience to address some key concerns - namely recruitment and coaching structures.

The club's negotiations and communications have been nothing short of amateurish - I've never witnessed anything like it since I've been following the club over the last 30 odd years. We got DCE in the end, but it cost us more than it would have if we stood by the original offer that he was happy to accept. The extension of Ballin and the resulting backflip (if true) is very poor; however, this is more than likely a pre Bozo v post Bozo conflict.

As for communication, I'd suggest the club look to bring in someone that is an expert in this area that they are actually willing to listen to rather than overrule and ignore. We have appointed Wayne Cousins as Media Manager and either he is out of his depth, or his advice has been ignored. To have a situation where signings of not one, but three players have been confirmed by their former clubs, and now by the players themselves, with nothing being said by our club, is just unacceptable. It is incredibly unprofessional, disrespectful (to the fans and players) and has brought great frustration - nothing positive has come from it.

They have done the same thing with the coach and have players speaking in the media (both new signings and existing) saying that they have no idea who the coach will be and are confused as to whether it will be Barrett or Toovey - once again, unacceptable. We have constant speculation in the media that is not going away until the club addresses it directly (albeit all to late).

Now we have the list of 14 - which I'm happy about in terms of a restructuring of our team, but extremely unhappy that once again we are hearing this via a leak. We have more leaks than a 1980's breast implant - again, nothing good comes from this and must be addressed.

2016 Prospects:
I hope we all give Trent Barrett a genuine go. He is rated highly by Bozo and Gould, has played at the highest level and has had nothing to do with the way things have been handled with Geoff. Instead, he has stayed right out of it and given the media nothing - which is exactly the right way to handle this from his perspective.

Yes, Barrett has no runs on the board yet, but neither did Bennett, Bellamy or Des before they were given their shot. Everyone has to start somewhere and nobody becomes successful without being given an opportunity - he is no different and time will tell whether he makes a success of this or not.

As for our player recruits, I think it is a good start. I am hoping Myles wants to re-invigorate his career and get back to his best. Should he do this, we are in for a 'BK' like experience, should he not....well let's assume he will. I really like Api Korisou and think he could be a revelation for us, especially given the new interchange rules. Brown is a solid signing that brings experience and energy and again is suited to the interchange reductions. Lussick - he is the only signing I'm concerned about. For him to prove a valuable addition, he will have to turn his career around and show us something that has eluded him in his career to date - controlled aggression and a high work rate. Let's hope he can do this.

In my opinion we are still one or two signings short of what we need - more so in the forwards than in the 6 position. We have a top backline and halves this year, yet we are at the bottom end of the table - we need hard, meter eating forwards that can dominate opposition packs to get the most out of our backline. We need a Moa or Tamou or someone of that ilk - which means we get someone with time remaining on their contract or we target 2017 as the year we finish off our recruiting. By then, we may also have a couple in the lower grades ready to step up - let's hope so.

Last edited:
The dignified play is for Tooves to step down and take up the Aussie role but if the salary numbers they are throwing around are accurate, that's a 600K hit that he may be pissed about taking...
I don't know Loobs, I'd seriously doubt Tooves is on $600k or more, so I can't see that would be the gap (or are you talking across the term rather than p/a?)

these clowns should be in politics

Everything will be great if you do X Y & Z

X Y & Z happen and things are even worse.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6