Is this the Wright fullback?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sorry on the thread title couldn't help myself. Wright will play fullback and I only assume because barretts wants a big back 3. I would have Hastings due to experience, speed and goal kicking.
I would to, although I think baz is just going to transition him there for a few weeks so they can share the workload and get used to the position, whoever's better there should stay there at the end though

We have been spoilt in years gone by because we could move craig hancock or even the great robbo off the wing to fill in at 1 admirably. Not this year .

Just looked up RL Project & Wright has kicked goals previously for us & Cronulla. His success rate is 13/18 or 72.22%. Hopefully he has been training in that department & will get the gig on Saturday......until Hastings comes on.

• 👍
Reactions: MRW
Put it this way. If Manly loses the next four games and Wright offers no serious contribution, hopefully Barrett will see the light and try Hastings at full back. But I guess we have to wait and see how this pans out. I think its a mistake but Barrett has them playing well most of the time.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/b75bcb6d781f949f81a7cd13d78449ee

NRL journeyman comfortable in Tom Trbojevic’s shoes
Andrew Prentice, Manly Daily

SEA Eagles winger Jorge Taufua has backed teammate Matthew Wright to hold his own at fullback this Saturday night against the Titans.

Wright, 26, is Tom Trbojevic’s replacement in the No.1 jersey for the round 11 clash.

It follows the highly publicised knee and ankle injuries the Mona Vale Raiders junior suffered last start against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium after he was tackled in mid-air by speedster David Mead.

Wright is a classic, modern-day rugby league journeyman.

A Penrith junior, he has represented the Sharks and Cowboys at NRL level and Taufua said the Tongan international would excel on the Gold Coast.

“I am sure he will do a good job for us,’’ Taufua said.

Matt has plenty of experience. He has been at a few successful clubs.

“He has been like an extra staff member of late, our 18th man in a few games.

“He knows all our plays. He should do well.”

Taufua is bracing himself for a busy night, especially in the air.

Trying to contain in-form centre Konrad Hurrell and electric winger Anthony Don is a daunting prospect, but Taufua is relishing the challenge.

Hastings has played roughly 36 minutes of his entire career at fullback, he's a half, and make-shift hooker. A full game fullback he is not.

Wright is a 100+ game veteran and has played fullback for Samoa. He has my confidence, and the confidence of the people who know a lot more than us fans do.

From a spectators point of view, Hasting to 1 would have made for interesting viewing. However, when a player sits on the bench week in week out and comes on to play hooker for 15 minutes, vs a guy who has played consistent 80m games all season in the NSW Cup, it is probably about having the kms in the legs at the back; something Wright would have.

Wright is also very safe under the high ball...Hastings is relatively untried at fullback in first grade. I can live with this decision...Wright can throw a fairly solid pass at the back as well so he should chime into backline nicely. I don't think we have too much to worry about.

From a spectators point of view, Hasting to 1 would have made for interesting viewing. However, when a player sits on the bench week in week out and comes on to play hooker for 15 minutes, vs a guy who has played consistent 80m games all season in the NSW Cup, it is probably about having the kms in the legs at the back; something Wright would have.

Wright is also very safe under the high ball...Hastings is relatively untried at fullback in first grade. I can live with this decision...Wright can throw a fairly solid pass at the back as well so he should chime into backline nicely. I don't think we have too much to worry about.
Also keeps the game plan the same with Hastings coming on for Api.

Wright seems very nonchalant.

However i believe is a better option than Hastings.

Hastings seems too slow and small for fullback.

Plus he wouldn't have too much experience jumping/contest bombs.

Hastings is needed on the bench to replace Api. I think we could all see how gassed Api looked when he had to come back on after Tom's injury.

Very solid game defensively and under the high balls. Also took some hard runs out from our own end, one of which won us a penalty at a very crucial time in the match. Not a player that's going to turn a game on its head with a moment of explosive brilliance, but steady, safe and reliable he most certainly is. Not many back up players in the comp come with 130 odd first grade games while still in their 20's.

He had some game. That was Ridge like, under a high ball and in defence just as safe as a house. Then kicking at 100% Wow. Great stuff Matt.

Excellent comparison, after tonight's effort from Wright.
Long may it continue ( until Tommy is back anyway !!)

And he pushed his goalkicking success rate past 78%.

We've had some very good fill-in fullbacks over the years - Alan Maddalena, Ross Windshuttle, Mike Eden, Steve Hegarty, Ivan Cleary, Shannon Nevin, Michael Robertson, Ben Farrar.

Add Matthew Wright to the list. And most of them were/are excellent goal kickers.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8