Lack of Energy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think we’re clutching at straws if we think the refs were responsible for last night’s defeat. It always looks like the team you’re supporting is hard done by at the ruck because you are watching through a pro-Manly lens...willing the ruck to speed up when we have the ball, etc.

Trouble is, we ran one out and were gang tackled so the refs allow for a longer stay in the ruck...when Penrith ran, they found their front and thus, we are made to get up quicker.

Further, the two no-try’s were probably tries in my book. At a pinch you could say the first was an obstruction but only a technicality...Foran was a long long way from stopping it. The second was a blatant try IMO.

When ya smashed into oblivion like last night, you can’t blame a referee.
Responsible, no.
A factor - yes. How much of a factor? Hard to say. But there appeared to be a difference.

A factor - yes. How much of a factor? Hard to say. But there appeared to be a difference.
agree to disagree.

Penrith bashed us in defence and ran through us so in attack, so naturally they got more leeway in the ruck because that’s what the rules are designed to do; reward dominance.

Looked like our forwards were matching them early, then after those repeat sets after repeat sets understandably sapped all energy and Panthers found it easy to dominate the ruck.

I thought Manly rolled off the ruck quicker for fear of a 6 to go, which happened a lot on the 4th tackle. Could also hear the ref call out roll away or release as soon as Manly made a tackle, panthers on the other hand were allowed to muscle up and really slow the play the ball down.

I think we will be fine in the forwards with more possession. We only had 35% possession and Panthers are the best defensive side in comp.

My biggest fear is still the hooker. We don't have any direction or attack and teams will continue to Target Tom. Big worry
Not only that but everytime we were tackled with 3 on us and put on the ground that fukwit clown waited till then to call held. Giving them way more time to hold us down and styfle any momentum we might gain from a quick play the ball. DCE should've been in that twits ear all night over it. I know we were poor but if you are held back by incompetent officials in this game that's all the edge the opposition needs to dominate. It was obvious that arseclown was intent on policing only 1 team.

agree to disagree.

Penrith bashed us in defence and ran through us so in attack, so naturally they got more leeway in the ruck because that’s what the rules are designed to do; reward dominance.
Lots of different views:

mBigRed

Cake day
· 20 hr. ago

Gold Coast Titans
Those were some really slow play the balls from Manly. They seemed to be held down for a lot longer than they held them down, but then would charge straight back to where they were tackled.
Penrith definately deserved the win but I don't think the 6 again calls for holding down were very consistent.

level 2
Scottybt50

· 3 hr. ago

Canberra Raiders
A lot of Penrith sets got restarted and turned into 9 or 10 tackle sets for a big part of the first half.

level 2
Itsturtletime01

· 20 hr. ago

Brisbane Broncos
That period in the 2nd half where Penrith just crushed Manly coming out of their own end were all in penalty territory.
It’s only one game, but the rule change might be a bit of a furphy if the refs are too reluctant to blow a penalty because it’s perceived as a much bigger impact than a six again.

Penrith Panthers
Kind of went both ways though …
I think you’re right with the refs being reluctant to blow penalties inside halfway ..
Might not have been as noticeable on TV but there was one set in particular in the first half where Manly were deadset 2 to 3 metres offside all set, you may have heard the crowd howling on the coverage …
First 3-4 tackles were inside halfway all offside , Penrith eventually got a six again call but only after they crossed halfway and this was probably the least bad of all the play the balls for offside , it was like the Ref was waiting for play to cross halfway to blow it ..
I wasn’t paying as much attention to it in the second half cos the contest was kind of over at this point … But definitely in the first half seemed the refs were reluctant to blow penalties inside halfway - on both sides

level 2
graz44

· 20 hr. ago

Penrith Panthers

level 2
ImBigRed

Cake day
· 20 hr. ago

Gold Coast Titans
Definately think that was what it was. They need to stomp on it hard it go back to last season. Because Penrith slowed that game down so much with very little consequence. Either go back to six again at every little instance, or just stomp on them with penalties for every team that is taking their time.

level 2
BaxterF30

· 20 hr. ago

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
That’s an interesting observation and may have the opposite result, manly screaming for calls that weren’t forth coming. This was evident in the trials, with slow ruck play, will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next month.

I think there’s a bit more to it than just lacking fitness...the type of forward pack we have is big and cumbersome. Penrith are faster and more mobile. It suits the modern game. Most teams would gas against the likes of Penrith, but having a leaner and faster pack would help.
Iam not sure it's the size of our pack that is the issue. IMO Sips went well. My take is it is technique issue. Our Bigger bodies shouldn't be out muscled by these small lean forwards.

Riff are looking to land on their stomach and place us on our back. Our boys just don't appear to have either as a priority.

20 odd rounds to improve. If we focus and improve in the right areas, we can knock that riff mob off their perch yet

Penrith done everything quicker
Apart from dominating the time on the ground, they all seemed hungrier
The Panthers were allowed to hold longer in defence and play it like touch footy - often off the mark
In defence they used 3-4 tacklers vs Manlys 2 and were rewarded with controlling the Manly ruck to a snails pace...and a generous referee...though again, when playing with energy- these seem the calls
It's nothing to do with the old they shut down Tom....you could have a super hero playing behind a team on the back foot and that will be the result....zero momentum
When it gets tough and it becomes a fight, Manly leave the ring....till this changes- expect the same results
We looked like complete amateurs against a professional side..... like last year without some grit and imaginative coaching we will not match it with the top few sides

We looked like complete amateurs against a professional side..... like last year without some grit and imaginative coaching we will not match it with the top few sides
100%
A few do the "we are jumping off cliffs after rd 1" but the fact is - this has been a similar story over years and reared it's head again
I know we will be there, so not some panic call....just need to face reality that until the Manly side aim up against top 4 sides and combat physical pressure, doesn't matter if game 1 - 8 or a final....this Wil be the result

agree to disagree.

Both correct
As there was leeway to the Panthers no doubt - but Penrith earned it in the contact and control in the middle - you show energy and more desire and the decisions will more often than not, go in your favour

Penrith done everything quicker
Apart from dominating the time on the ground, they all seemed hungrier
The Panthers were allowed to hold longer in defence and play it like touch footy - often off the mark
In defence they used 3-4 tacklers vs Manlys 2 and were rewarded with controlling the Manly ruck to a snails pace...and a generous referee...though again, when playing with energy- these seem the calls
It's nothing to do with the old they shut down Tom....you could have a super hero playing behind a team on the back foot and that will be the result....zero momentum
When it gets tough and it becomes a fight, Manly leave the ring....till this changes- expect the same results
you would almost think Manly was the side that's only lost 6 times in 2 years!

There is a reason for every point you made and that point is Penrith is an Alpha side at the top of its game. Players can get into a we cant loose mentality and that's where Penrith was last night. They had a point to prove after the parra result in the trials, at home, and on a mission.

There isn't a side in the comp and I include Melbourne and the rooters that could have competed last night.

So the sky isn't falling in just yet and it's not all over.

There is a reason for every point you made and that point is Penrith is an Alpha side at the top of its game. Players can get into a we cant loose mentality and that's where Penrith was last night. They had a point to prove after the parra result in the trials, at home, and on a mission.

There isn't a side in the comp and I include Melbourne and the rooters that could have competed last night.

But didn't we have a point to prove as well? Flogged by Storm. Beat the Chooks. Flogged by Bunnies. Flogged by Panthers in our last 4 games. Shudder to think about the amount of points we've leaked in those 4 games.

We stuck by our roster, acquiring EB only. We played our core group in the trials.

I just hear excuses.

We can't be chasing our tails again this season. We could literally be 0-4 again. We badly needed improvement, and there doesn't appear to be any.

Your right - very right....the sky falling in is a repeat of the 2021 final series and this game was a replica
But still the problem lingers with Manly winning the tough games against tough teams....that's my concern

But didn't we have a point to prove as well? Flogged by Storm. Beat the Chooks. Flogged by Bunnies. Flogged by Panthers in our last 4 games. Shudder to think about the amount of points we've leaked in those 4 games.

We stuck by our roster, acquiring EB only. We played our core group in the trials.

I just hear excuses.

We can't be chasing our tails again this season. We could literally be 0-4 again. We badly needed improvement, and there doesn't appear to be any.
Why so negative mate? no doubt if I recall you were ropeable after our 0-4 last year and as many others were all doom and gloom? everything in the above post is negative - Roster, Squad, 0 - 4, points conceded....

We played some of the best football I've ever watched last year and wouldn't swap that season for anything. Sure we fell short but because we were playing so well we expected better. Had we just had a normal season of say 10th - 6th the expectation would have been much less would it not?

Its 1 round against the GOAT team of the comp. Means nothing other than we lost 2 points.

Your right - very right....the sky falling in is a repeat of the 2021 final series and this game was a replica
But still the problem lingers with Manly winning the tough games against tough teams....that's my concern
But last year we would have lost by 40+ in that game. We showed fight last night. They were all over us as they would have been any team in this comp on that display.

12 - 6 at halftime was excellent considering. Too much dropped ball from us to build any pressure. too much field position in our half meant Tommy was nullified. Things we can work on to be better at. Its 1 game.

Why so negative mate? no doubt if I recall you were ropeable after our 0-4 last year and as many others were all doom and gloom? everything in the above post is negative - Roster, Squad, 0 - 4, points conceded....

We played some of the best football I've ever watched last year and wouldn't swap that season for anything. Sure we fell short but because we were playing so well we expected better. Had we just had a normal season of say 10th - 6th the expectation would have been much less would it not?

Its 1 round against the GOAT team of the comp. Means nothing other than we lost 2 points.

I support and love the team, but as Des and every player to a tee has said pre-season, they don't want to replicate the deplorable start to last season, but it's happening.

So are the poor behaviours. Terrible defense. Terrible effort. Lack of what appears fitness. Lack of discipline. Lack of ball control (hence all the present floggings). We are near on 30-35 points against on average in our last 4 games again (just a guess btw, didn't do the maths).

I "hope" everyone's expectation is much, much higher this year, BECAUSE of last year. I just hope we all don't want more.of the same ?

WE can't compare years, because expectation is different. I'm hoping for consistency. Effort. Fitness. Compete. But the biggest word is intensity. And we've not had that for a while.

@Eagle of London fact that both Des and Jake said the result doesn't matter , the process is, concerns me mate.

That's a really, really ****ty attitude. Bellamy, Cleary and others would NEVER adhere to that methodology

I support and love the team, but as Des and every player to a tee has said pre-season, they don't want to replicate the deplorable start to last season, but it's happening.

So are the poor behaviours. Terrible defense. Terrible effort. Lack of what appears fitness. Lack of discipline. Lack of ball control (hence all the present floggings). We are near on 30-35 points against on average in our last 4 games again (just a guess btw, didn't do the maths).

I "hope" everyone's expectation is much, much higher this year, BECAUSE of last year. I just hope we all don't want more.of the same ?

WE can't compare years, because expectation is different. I'm hoping for consistency. Effort. Fitness. Compete. But the biggest word is intensity. And we've not had that for a while.
But its NOT happening. Its 1 game and 1 result to open the year.

If by round 10 we are 4 from 6 then sure have a wally about it but it was 1 game.

We couldn't win against the Storm back in 2008 until the GF and look what happened there.

Patience mate.

@Eagle of London fact that both Des and Jake said the result doesn't matter , the process is, concerns me mate.

That's a really, really ****ty attitude. Bellamy, Cleary and others would NEVER adhere to that methodology
The result in itself doesn't matter it was 1 game against the best of the best.

In a way its better we didn't win. Just imagine the delusional optimistic craziness on here had we won.

But last year we would have lost by 40+ in that game. We showed fight last night. They were all over us as they would have been any team in this comp on that display.

12 - 6 at halftime was excellent considering. Too much dropped ball from us to build any pressure. too much field position in our half meant Tommy was nullified. Things we can work on to be better at. Its 1 game.
Scored a lottery try on halftime and could easily have gone to the sheds down by 24+ points down, so not convinced about the improvement
I do agree Manly will improve and feel confident will again be a top 6 team....but my point remains when the game hits intense levels against quality opposition, Manly lose the arm wrestle and though battle on....the scoreboard decay's....until they find an inner resilience, intensity and fight fire with fire - it's ominous the same fate will play out come final's time
I'm confident will look comparable to the best teams through the season and want nothing but success.....beating Roosters up next week would be a step in the right direction- let's see how we go...

I just hear excuses.

That’s where we are - bottom to mid eight. Better than bottom eight but I doubt we’ll challenge

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8