Pre-Game Manly v Panthers [Round 5, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

32 18
4 Pines Park
06 Apr 2024 05:30 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penrith's line speed and defense is going to force this team into more errors. It is not the players that make the coach, but the coach that makes the players.

I would be giving fualalo a go over Paulo. Saab has one wing stitched up but I ain’t seen anything convincing from Paulo or talau. Paulo is downright meek

Croker needs to be better, cherry needs to be better, Jake needs to be more disciplined, burbo needs to show us if he has anything noteworthy at all apart from been on the field with generic and uninspired play.

I still hate our ruckspeed, or line speed and our inability to wrap the ball. We look so slow in most facets

need everyone to step up to be a chance in this one. Don’t often get them without Cleary so we need to jag back the win we should’ve got last week
I'd have Talau replaced, he didn't look fit and his carry's were worse than Paulo's.

I was somewhat optimistic until I saw the team list from them....also meant to be awful weather this weekend which does not bode well

What team do you least want to play on a rainy slippery night ??? The death by a thousand cuts Panthers who control the ball and break you down play by play and at worst hand it back to you up your own end all night. Matches up pretty well with our sideways, gambling , frenzied must score on each play type persona that'll work super in the rain. Hopefully we'll turn up with our overalls and work boots on this week and not our dancing shoes and dinner jackets like week.

On the plus side we couldn't control the ball in the dry daylight last week - so if it does become a drop fest at least we've had one weeks practice.

Go Manly. Start fast, get a lead, kick and chase, ride the crowd home.

Probably advisable to start Sipley with Tent .
Panthers regardless of the conditions [ and i did see one forecast with maybe only the occasional shower ] will almost invariably start and try to continue with their high energy play
Obviously a given also , need Burbo to step up the tempo a bit and Haumole to be used better for maximum impact
Maybe even a case to start with Waddell on an edge ahead of Burbo .
Tried that more expansive type of attack from the get go last Panthers game , some good variation , worth trying again in some more limited form but obviously also have to match and go with them all around the park and particularly in the ruck area .
Plus D C E "s kicking [ and Brooks for that matter ] game , to be in the top order range
Hopefully Turbo can make the really positive impact which is urgently needed and can help get the side into a competitive position at the very least .
Mentality and form wise turn around , sensible game plan in whatever conditions , All will literally have to fall into place well to make a game of it

As an interested observer, I would be asking serious questions about this side if they are given a pasting by Penrith. This is no bottom 8 team. In fact they should be at least in the top 6. Five top of the line players in Jurbo, Turbo, Olakau'atu, DCE and Koula, another set of solid first graders in Brooks, Brown, Garrick, Paseka, Aloiai, Corker, a couple of work horses in Sipley and Waddell and a kid on the rise in Burbo. This is no low grade side. Their attack potential is the equal of most sides. Their defense should be better than average. On paper they should be easily accommodating some of the sides they play. A good, though spluttering start, against the Rabbits and Chooks. But they've since dropped the ball against two sides they should have easily defeated. There's something not working in their combinations. I hope its rectified by this weekend. Otherwise I would be looking at the structure of their play more closely

What team do you least want to play on a rainy slippery night ??? The death by a thousand cuts Panthers who control the ball and break you down play by play and at worst hand it back to you up your own end all night. Matches up pretty well with our sideways, gambling , frenzied must score on each play type persona that'll work super in the rain. Hopefully we'll turn up with our overalls and work boots on this week and not our dancing shoes and dinner jackets like week.

On the plus side we couldn't control the ball in the dry daylight last week - so if it does become a drop fest at least we've had one weeks practice.

Didnt the Tigers beat the Panthers in the rain in Bathurst last year?

Not being smart, asking, I feel like it was raining but I forget

Didnt the Tigers beat the Panthers in the rain in Bathurst last year?

Not being smart, asking, I feel like it was raining but I forget
Raining, rumour has it, they can’t play in the wet, thats crazy scary for us if it rains, we could even start favourites! 😉

I was somewhat optimistic until I saw the team list from them....also meant to be awful weather this weekend which does not bode well
Tbh we will probably have a better chance in wet weather. Anything to slow down Penrith. The best we could hope for is a messy scrap in the mud

I can see us dominating field position and possession , holding it close for 65 min. Probably bombing several chances and then the riff with limited chances converting them all enough for a 10 point win.

I can see us dominating field position and possession , holding it close for 65 min. Probably bombing several chances and then the riff with limited chances converting them all enough for a 10 point win.
They are certainly good enough to do that.

I do think we’ll do better than last week , but how much better and for how long over 80 minutes is the unknown.

Nice post !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8