Game Day: Manly v Rabbitohs [Round 5, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
As well as Api and Walker have played tonight, in our attacking zone we have looked a bit clueless at times.

Not trying to put down their performance because they stepped up tonight and did a bloody good job under the circumstances, but we did lack some of DCE's polish close to the line. Some of the passes to Snake behind his back killed off possible attacking raids unfortunately.

Overall though, very proud of the effort from the team tonight, especially over the last 70 minutes. Souffs got a lucky escape after our soft as early defence. Tommy, Api, Walker, Vave, Jorge, Skivy and Kapow all had strong games.

What a disappointing effort from Manly at Brookvale. Most sets with the ball they hardly showed any of the flair, speed, spin, depth & cohesion we've seen them do so well so often the past decade.
If they continue like this, it'll be another bottom 8 finish come September.

Biggest positive for me was the players that have been a bit of a liability in recent weeks had much improved games. Matai and jorge particularly. Young tom stepped up

The talk that we didn't miss DCE at all because Api made a few nice runs is laughable

Without an experienced genuine half out there, we had absolutely nothing to offer on the last tackle, absolutely nothing to offer set peice wise because we didn't have the passing ability to string a play together, and the attack got too predictable

Taupau wasn't utilised because Walker doesn't have a passing game at all to bring him onto the ball and into a hole, and we didn't see Lyon with any space at all because in the 2nd half once Api got the ball it wasn't going any further and got a touch predictable near the end

That isn't a criticism of the 2 guys there, they did the best they could under the circumstances, but our attack simply revolved around running, no finesse at all

We also talked a lot about Parcell pre season and what he could do out of dummy half, tonight was a perfect night for him to show that but he didn't try it which was frustrating

Great effort with plenty of guts and I'm not too downcast on it at all. The signs are good going forward

We should've won by 13+.
Actually satisfied in a strange way about that game. We completely dominated them after the 16 they scored.
If we can tweek it a bit we will smash most teams. Forwards were fantastic!!

Proud of the effort, we looked gassed, but continually drove them back. We had more than enough ball to win that . Who suspended parcels license to run, he should've been tearing up in the middle of the ruck while Souths were out on their feet. We also threw some terrible passes in our backline that ordinarily we nay have been a chance to score, killer should've jumped in the halves with all that field position and fed the backline.

Smarter footy and we would've one that and dce would've provided the polish to get the win.

That game was there for the taking.

I'm not too impressed. Awful start with 3 soft as hell tries conceded and then they pull their fingers out? We had a thousand chances and our creativity in attack was non existent.
Big wraps to the forwards, put in a big effort and beat the rabbitohs pack, which is very surprising. Get our attack in order and we can beat a lot of teams. But geez, once again the coaching leaves a bit to be desired. I don't remember any good back line plays in their twenty.

To give you an idea of how poor a start we had, I got to the ground a minute before kick off but had to wait in line for 15-20 minutes. Souths scored all their points within that short period. As soon as I got into the ground, Souths didn't score again.

Snake is entitled to have an off night but you'd rather it didn't happen when we're missing a playmaker like DCE. He was average tonight and I wish he had tried to take that pass from Api with 2 hands in the 2nd half, after Api had broken through.

Dylan and Api did very well as a past minute halves pairing but we just needed a few good kicks to steal this one and we didn't have a reliable kicker tonight.

The talk that we didn't miss DCE at all because Api made a few nice runs is laughable

Without an experienced genuine half out there, we had absolutely nothing to offer on the last tackle, absolutely nothing to offer set peice wise because we didn't have the passing ability to string a play together, and the attack got too predictable

Taupau wasn't utilised because Walker doesn't have a passing game at all to bring him onto the ball and into a hole, and we didn't see Lyon with any space at all because in the 2nd half once Api got the ball it wasn't going any further and got a touch predictable near the end

That isn't a criticism of the 2 guys there, they did the best they could under the circumstances, but our attack simply revolved around running, no finesse at all

We also talked a lot about Parcell pre season and what he could do out of dummy half, tonight was a perfect night for him to show that but he didn't try it which was frustrating

Great effort with plenty of guts and I'm not too downcast on it at all. The signs are good going forward

I would have to disagree with walker not having a passing game. Thought he did a few nice inside balls and combined well with api. He probably did miss a few opportunities to put kapow and snake into holes down the left and needed to find the in goal area more - but he is still learning

It felt a bit like the game against the 'lickers at Brookvale last year, albeit with good goalkicking this time around. We're all over the opposition but couldn't land the killer blow.

Given they had to adjust to the '16 team/coach then quickly readjust post DCE, & after that horror start, they've restored my faith with the strong finish.

If we didn't play like a bunch of soft walkers in the 1st half we would have easily won by 12. Where did that come from when we stepped it up for the rest of the game. Api was an absolute stand out.

What this showed was we need DCE as much as some here do not think, he has not been that bad. And it also showed whilst Api was not great in the 1st 2 rounds he is still a class player and will be valuable to us.
Sorry... The halfs tonight were better than any DCE game this year. Ok the kicking game was not good but DCE needs to step up in the future.

Even though it was a loss, I really think that was a win. We played all over Souths for 60mins. Just lacked the polish that DCE would provide.
Api proved he is a quality signing and perfect back up in the halves, Walkers getting better and better, T Turbo grew another leg tonight and Vave was one of our best forwards.
All in all a loss now without DCE and Jake will benefit us more than anything. Things are looking pretty good with this new team and structure.
Can't wait for next week!

What we saw tonight was very encouraging.

Yes, we were not the best in terms of attack but we didn't have DCE out there and his organisational ability. The kicking game, especially close to the line, suffered.

I don't like losing but I can live with losses like that one. It's the capitulations we saw in the first two weeks that are tough to take.

Last edited:
We were the better side - our attack at the line is just horrible. I really miss our sweeping plays or our inside balls that would split the defense.

To be honest nearly all our tries this season have come from individual brilliance, not team work - which again was the case tonight.

I'm excited for the future but i'm really hoping our attack can kick into gear - our 5th tackle option was the worst... why not bomb to turbo???? i don't get that, we looked lost every time we got into their line, why not put up a lucky dip???

Snake played one of his worst games for a while - it happens. Api made me eat my own words.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10