Maroon & White News - Football CLub Members

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The email from the Football Club said 'Everyone wants a united club pulling in the same direction to ensure we continue our extraordinary history of success.'
The same email takes pot shots at Chairman Scott Penn, pretty much calling him a liar, and also Peter Peters. I'm no fan of these two guys (in fact I can't stand them) .....but how is that being 'united and pulling in the same direction'? How are the fans meant to be united when the club itself STILL isn't?

You can sit in the trench and keep your head down for only so long, before you need to return fire. Otherwise you'll be overrun and it's game over.

The FC have made the right call here to put in out there what the situation is and clarify their role, and what their position is, even if it is counter to what we've heard from Penn and Zorba over the last month.

This will always be a rocky relationship and we are obviously in a trough as far as working together. But if the FC don't get on the front foot in this manner, Penn and Zorba will continue to publically erode their relevance in the partnership.

So for long-term Chairman Scott Penn to claim in his recent Daily Telegraph interview that there was a 4-3 vote on the Board against retaining Glenn Stewart is simply wrong – there was no vote.

These out & out lies straight from the horses mouth is what worries me .Is this what Manly has become ?

GO MANLY!
Your Board
Bob Stevenson Cliff Lyons <--- ( I trust this guy ,not Penn )
Bob Reilly Darrell Williams
Chris Jones Mal Cochrane
Julie Sibraa

Don't see the issue with that. Obviously they disagree with past events as reported by Penn and Zorba and wish to state their position clearly and for the record. They have no choice but to try to work "constructively and harmoniously" as they have virtually no influence on the outcome of most decisions. I my opinion their view on a single owner model is spot on.

Their charter is quite simple and they have nothing to lose in trying to set the record straight rather than sit back and witness the apparent scorched earth policy of Penn and Zorba.

ORRRR, they sit down, and speak about things openly, constructively, and come out in complete harmony - BOTH sides. How hard is that to understand (from Penn / Club) - not meaning you.

ORRRR, they sit down, and speak about things openly, constructively, and come out in complete harmony - BOTH sides. How hard is that to understand (from Penn / Club) - not meaning you.

Would be nice but once egos are involved, all bets are off.

Thank @God somebody put the preference share in to the deal and prevent a Tinkler/Knights scale meltdown or leave our club at the whim of those with the most money.

Agree but other factors need to be taken into account before punting someone like Tooves. can't ignore the injuries and also the effect DCE and Foran has had on the team. They can't put all the blame on Tooves and make him the scapegoat for this year.
I think everyone is having a little overreaction to this tooves chat business. There is a fine line. Everyone has to have accountability in their jobs. Just because tooves is a legend doesn't mean he should be exempt. If we were to get the first spoon in the clubs history I personally would expect his head to roll because that isn't good enough regardless of circumstances. That's worst case scenario.

We don't know any of it though. We don't know what happens behind the scenes. Tooves may be a terrible communicator for all we know. Matty b and lyon are old school I don't think they would drag it into the public and create more turmoil if they disagreed with him or didn't like his coaching. Also their reasons for staying at manly are significantly different to younger players. They have kids that are in school and settled and are nearing the ends of their careers. Even if I was unhappy I'd prob just suck it up for the sake of my lifestyle.

Just Like Penn and Zorba have in recent days? There is simply too much acrimony between the two groups for that to happen. The football club have, as far as I know, remained fairly quiet in all of this. Obviously recent statements in the media by Penn and Zorba have touched a nerve and they felt the need to call them out on a few things. I say good on them.

Penn and Zorba obviously have an agenda and have no shame in the way they use the media to promote their cause. The football club are simply keeping their members informed and, as a member, I am happy with this. I may be wrong but I don't think they released their "position statement" to anyone but their members.

Also their reasons for staying at manly are significantly different to younger players. They have kids that are in school and settled and are nearing the ends of their careers. Even if I was unhappy I'd prob just suck it up for the sake of my lifestyle.
To me that seems EXACTLY why Matai stayed on. He didn't sound overly excited in that video to fans. It seemed more like "may as well I suppose..."

I look at this as simply a clarification by a club of it's position to it's members. The club exists to represent it's members and email appears to be the only way (apart from a fully attended meeting) that the club can put forward how the club has and will represent all it's members.
It doesn't appear to be a press release or specifically for anyone other than their member's consumption. I would expect any member invested in the FC would want to hear the club's position on these matters (whether they agree with these positions or not).
Following from this, if the members don't agree with the positions taken, they are free to vote in new representatives or not renew.

Lurker said: "We don't know any of it though. We don't know what happens behind the scenes."
Truer words have never been spoken!
a couple of serious contradictory statements are now in the public domain. Who has the most to lose? Can Penn have the football Club board reps removed from the MWSE board? Probably not. Penn cant let this just "go away". Was he present when the Gifty board meeting took place? Surely, there were minutes?

Lurker said: "We don't know any of it though. We don't know what happens behind the scenes."
Truer words have never been spoken!
a couple of serious contradictory statements are now in the public domain. Who has the most to lose? Can Penn have the football Club board reps removed from the MWSE board? Probably not. Penn cant let this just "go away". Was he present when the Gifty board meeting took place? Surely, there were minutes?

I'd be VERY surprised if the FC would make that statement so publicly if they weren't 110% sure that there was no vote recorded in the minutes.

This information is critical to the " divide" as one side has been accusing the other for 12 months of a no vote against Gifty.

One side isn't being truthful.

Imagine a world where both parties put aside their agendas and did what was in the best interest of the club (and not themselves), imagine if legitimate issues were handled in house, imagine where the media was not the first point of call for all parties

b) a world without Zorba

As I said when the buyout was announced the Penns had to do one more thing to heal the rift, remove Peters from the board and any further association with the club.

I don't think we'd be in the position we are today if they'd done that.

Who wanted Gifty out at this point is the biggest "who gives a ****" issue there is. Everyone should move on and focus on the future and sorting that out. What's done is done. He's gone and squabbling over who made the call is beyond pointless. We need things like new halves and some ****ing punch in the forwards, guys that can break the line and offload at some point during the first 75 minutes of a game.

Informative and respectful release there from the FC. It's still going to rub the Penn clan up the wrong way but that is the Penn's problem. I like that,

- the board acknowledges the great work that Tooves has done
- declared that everybody should take responsibility for the loss of Gift and learn the lessons from that
- praised Kelly for creating a retention and recruitment committee which Scott Penn is apart of

Zorba will have to watch himself. Scott Penn may be his nephew but even blood relatives can turn on you if you cause too much ****.

Who wanted Gifty out at this point is the biggest "who gives a ****" issue there is. Everyone should move on and focus on the future and sorting that out. What's done is done. He's gone and squabbling over who made the call is beyond pointless. We need things like new halves and some ****ing punch in the forwards, guys that can break the line and offload at some point during the first 75 minutes of a game.

Well currently mate Jack **** wouldn't even sign with us!!

Imagine a world where both parties put aside their agendas and did what was in the best interest of the club (and not themselves), imagine if legitimate issues were handled in house, imagine where the media was not the first point of call for all parties
With apologies to John Lennon:
Imagine all the Sea Eagles
Living for today

Imagine there's no hidden agendas
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to leak or defame for
And no Greek vendettas, too

Imagine all the people
Living in a world Zorba-free
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you will join us