Matai to stay an Eagle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
not just a lurker story anymore.

SMH a few min ago:

Steve Matai will finish his career as a one-club man after re-signing with Manly until the end of 2017.

The New Zealand international knocked back lucrative offers from the Gold Coast and the Warriors to remain at Brookvale.

"Signing a new deal is always a great feeling, but signing on with the same club after all these years is something pretty special," Matai said. "There's been a lot of speculation of late, so to have my future sorted before the start of the season is great. It means my focus can simply go back to ensuring I'm fit and ready for action as soon as possible. The main priority was always my family – my partner Kate and my two little kids. Everything I do is for them. They start school soon, so not having to relocate definitely played a part in the decision too. My goal is always to make them happy. If they're happy, then I'm happy and I've done my job. We've got a developed and proud winning culture here at the club which has been established over many years, and I know we've got the players, talent and desire to be up there once again."

Matai has made 203 NRL appearances since making his debut in 2005 against Melbourne and is rated one of the game's best defensive centres. "We identified Steve as a really important part of our retention strategy this season," said Manly CEO Joe Kelly. "We're absolutely delighted that he's made the decision to stay with us until the end of 2017, as he's one of the most damaging and powerful players in our game. For Sea Eagles members and fans to know they won't have to worry about seeing Steve line-up against the club over the next few seasons is extremely pleasing. To also see Steve remain a one-club player in this era, really does put him in very elite company and is a special achievement."

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey added: "It's wonderful news for Steve and wonderful news for the club. He's a fantastic athlete and showed everyone again last season how influential he is to our side. It's not just how brutal he can be in defence, as he's a far more well-rounded footballer than that. In attack he was our second highest try-scorer, made the most tackle busts and averaged almost 120m per-game. In any language, those stats are immense and a testament to how much he puts on the line each week. We're very lucky to have now have the two best, most experienced centres in the game right now locked up for the next few years. As a coach, you can't be much happier than that."
End article

great news for skivvy and the club and some nice quotes. Finally a good news story in amongst the dribble

:party:

And:

“For Sea Eagles Members and fans to know they won’t have to worry about seeing Steve line-up against the Club over the next few seasons is extremely pleasing. To also see Steve remain a one-club player in this era, really does put him in very elite company and is a special achievement.”

Someone out west will hear of that and his thick, brainless head will explode...

@Loobs - mate you are giving Twatnow far too much credit. He couldnt put his hands together to clap let alone read between the lines.

That sound you hear folks, is the sound of every other team's centre crapping themselves coupled with the sound of journo's eating crow.

That sound you hear folks, is the sound of every other team's centre crapping themselves coupled with the sound of journo's eating crow.

I also heard the audible sigh from lyon that he doesn't have to get smacked by him twice a year. lol

This is great news!! I'm a bit surprised really considering all the speculation about DCE and Foz but it's a great surprise to get. The Wife is very happy as Stevie and Choc were her fav players and she wouldn't have been happy if both had left within a year of each over.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6