Matai to stay an Eagle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Goes to show that you should never believe all the rumors from other so called experts that players are unhappy at Manly. Matai was all but out the door a month ago and now sign on for 2 years.

Goes to show that you should never believe all the rumors from other so called experts that players are unhappy at Manly. Matai was all but out the door a month ago and now sign on for 2 years.

Matai was on record I believe, so the hacks reported something factual.
But in saying that, I am so glad he chose to stay. Hes my 2nd fav player after snakey!

Bring back the shoulder charge imo

Love that he has shown faith and respect in the club , one club champions are rare and always revered by the game . It was a shame about Gifty and even Kite they deserved to play out the careers at the club but things dont always work out that way but Im sure they will be welcomed back when the finish football with open arms.

Strategically I think this may have been a good move from manly too. It wouldn't surprise me if they topped up his contract with the long serving player allowance. There are only 3 other players on the roster eligible* (Ballin, snake and lyon). And we just lost 3 players that were all eligible (King, watmough and gifty). Furthermore no one is likely to become eligible in the next year or so that I could identify or so which means if they can't spend it it's wasted.

*eligibility requires 8 consecutive seasons however it includes NSW cup and NYC

Not only a champion player, but a champion bloke from all reported. I can't remember a single blemish on his a so too short career?
Off the field Stevie is a quietly spoken and gentle man. He is a true Ambassador for the club.

Svivvy boys.jpg Steve is a great bloke, when my kids met him in 2010 (pic) his genuine nature shone through. Kids can pick it. He's been their fav ever since...(oh, and the fact he hits like a truck!)

Fanatastic news for the Manly club, team and fans! Onya mate!

View attachment 1016 Steve is a great bloke, when my kids met him in 2010 (pic) his genuine nature shone through. Kids can pick it. He's been their fav ever since...(oh, and the fact he hits like a truck!)

My first experience seeing Matai was when he had a run in Ressies, prior to the Sharks game where Hoppa smashed Galloway. Steve was clearly an impact player and had me checking the program a couple of times to see who he was.

He and a kid named Karl Johnson ended up sitting behind us in the JT Stand for the NRL match and when Hoppa got sent, Johnson was vocal in how he was going to get a run next week and probably longer given the likely time off Hoppa was facing.

Matai said nothing and continued to focus on the game. I wasn't surprised to see it was him to make his debut the following week.

He is also my nephews fav player and he would have been devestated if he'd left.

My first experience seeing Matai was when he had a run in Ressies, prior to the Sharks game where Hoppa smashed Galloway. Steve was clearly an impact player and had me checking the program a couple of times to see who he was.

He and a kid named Karl Johnson ended up sitting behind us in the JT Stand for the NRL match and when Hoppa got sent, Johnson was vocal in how he was going to get a run next week and probably longer given the likely time off Hoppa was facing.

Matai said nothing and continued to focus on the game. I wasn't surprised to see it was him to make his debut the following week.

He is also my nephews fav player and he would have been devestated if he'd left.
I was at that game too, funnily enough from the angle Where I was sitting hoppa's hit looked legit and I was incensed when he was sent off. Then I got home and saw the replay...! I remember Johnson as a gifted attacking player with a few defensive issues perhaps.

I remember the GF against the Roosters in 2013 (I am trying to forget), and I was up in the nose bleeds...midway through the second half when it looked like we were running out of steam, I saw a Rooster's head rock back with vigour and a body slam into the turf before the ball bobbled around loosely on the ground near the aforementioned impact. I thought, who did that? It has to be Matai. I look up at the big screen and see the face of a warrior high five-ing his teammates with the corn rows flapping around in the breeze...he did everything he could to lift us over the line that day...a champion!

View attachment 1016 Steve is a great bloke, when my kids met him in 2010 (pic) his genuine nature shone through. Kids can pick it. He's been their fav ever since...(oh, and the fact he hits like a truck!)

That's awesome mate. Good breeding there too, raising the chillies as Eagles fans!! My daughters favorite player is The Wolfman, and my son's is Jamie Lyon.

My first sight of him on a footy field was up here playing BRL- can't remember if it was Ipswich or Wynnum he was running around for?. He didn't look outstanding- but you knew he could hit in defence.

Remember this?

Boy, that was a good day now wasn't it?!?!

:)

It was - completely refreshing and different to what we have been used to over the past 2 years. That's the point people are trying to make. Legends re-signing draw fans in. It's about passion, loyalty, the club, and us - the fans.

Manly was built on us vs. them GE. It ain't us vs. them, when the us wants to BE them.

Well put Ryan, cannot argue with that sentiment.
(Which is not a reason to slag off players whose re-signing has not yet been announced by the club, for reasons of its own)

Sounds like:

Stevie signs - everyone: Yay!

dce signs - everyone - meh.

(though I reckon it'll be yay as well) - except from mark :)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2