Nathan Brown gone

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Don’t know enough about Brown to judge his coaching but barring a strong finish his record suggests mediocrity.
Not impressed with some of his public commentary either.
In one article he says he made first graders out of several Knights - but included Sione Mata’utia - who played for Australia 2 years before Brown even started there.

Brown actually coached St Helens to the Super League title in 2014 so its not like he has done nothing as a coach. And not many coaches would have endured what he had to when stepping into the Knight's job after Bennett left them in the lurch when Tinkler's money dried up. The roster he inherited was pretty bad to say the least and for a few years that hampered their chances of recruiting anyone decent. They finally did get some decent players such as Pearce, Ponga, Klemmer and even SKD, but most of the rest are not what you would call premiership or even Finals quality so its hardly surprising that they have been hot and cold this year.

Although he didn't get the results their fans and the club wanted (i.e. a premiership), Brown is definitely going to leave Newcastle in better shape roster wise than when he started.

And just on Mata’utia......lets be honest, that 2014 Kangaroos Four Nations squad saw a few selections primarily because quite a few others were injured. It was almost like City vs Country selection in the end. Players dropping out left, right and centre and they had to find others willing to step in, which being the Kangaroos of course they would....and Mata’utia happened to be one of them. Otherwise he would never have been selected.

Last edited:

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Don’t know enough about Brown to judge his coaching but barring a strong finish his record suggests mediocrity.
Not impressed with some of his public commentary either.
In one article he says he made first graders out of several Knights - but included Sione Mata’utia - who played for Australia 2 years before Brown even started there.
I think he meant that he turned them into professionals.

When he got there they were all about partying.
Now he has established a culture of preparation for the game on the weekend by looking after the body after hours :nod:

The full interview 2 days ago details the culture he found when he started at the Knights.

We all knew that the Knights and Titans were more about the off field action :p

Brocky

Reserve Grader

Now he has established a culture of preparation for the game on the weekend by looking after the body after hours :nod:

The full interview 2 days ago details the culture he found when he started at the Knights.

Brocky

Reserve Grader
I started off at the beginning of his announcement with the CEO THINKING HE WAS ALRIGHT, BUT THE MORE HE SPOKE I THOUGHT what a Tosser, this guy has a huge ego. Trying to play the Marta. and to have a go at Bennett totally unprofessional. Good riddance and take your ego with u, u r the only one that is selfish,

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Brown put in some hard yards up there while they were in a hole collecting wooden spoons. Has done a reasonable job on building roster up and making them competitive again and fixing some of the party culture. He was on less than what he may have been "worth on the open market" with the understanding that he'd be upgraded when his contract was due for renewal. I understand that the Knights were shopping around behind his back for another coach and that was contrary to their handshake agreement - so he more or less told them see you later. They'll be stuck with a rookie coach now as there aren't any experienced NRL coaches doing the rounds. Be interesting to see how that works out for them.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Ironic really that two sides (Newcastle & CG) that have been propped up by the NRL over previously years with thigh expectations this year are a train wreck. What great visionaries.

Brown has handled himself extremely well given the circumstances. He didn't take a dig at the club for having lost faith in him and acknowledged some mistakes he made. He made no excuses. It's a shame that none of his qualities rubbed off on TB when he slapped him in the face a while back.

Peter C

Bencher
Personally, I would say that Brown has stuffed up his chances of getting another gig as head coach, much like Barrett.
He says his expertise is rebuilding clubs, so in other words any club that employs Brown again is saying to it's fans and sponsors, "the next four or five years are going to be tough, but we'll come out of it all for the better", good luck with that one.

20190823_225831.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
12 9 3 83 22
13 10 3 80 22
13 9 4 110 20
12 7 5 64 18
12 7 5 -37 18
13 7 6 133 16
13 7 6 81 16
13 7 6 47 16