Nathan Brown gone

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Well that's No 2 of the St George-Illawarra master coaches gone. Barrett exit stage left. Brown exit stage left. McGregor.... Never thought any of them were up to the task.

Tooves would be a great fit up there, but unfortunately (for them) or fortunately, they are not intelligent enough to realise it.

Plus Tooves doesn't do drugs.

NYEagle

Brown said he still has the passion to coach and referenced Bennett's time at the club when discussing his coaching future.

"There'll always be jobs for people like me because there's plenty of selfish coaches who make short-term decisions and ruin footy clubs," he said.

"There'll be another club that will have and old roster that's been ruined and someone will get me to come in and try and fix it up, because that's the job that I do. The realities of that job? I may not get the benefits of it. But I get paid well and I live a good lifestyle.

On 360 they showed a clip of Ponga and Pearce talking about Brown leaving. Let’s just say after watching that, it would be no surprise to find out Ponga told the club get rid of him or I’m outta here.

This article doesn't chime with that scenario...but who knows?

'Nathan made me the player I am now': Ponga
Wed 21 Aug 2019, 04:38 PM
It was business as usual for Newcastle players on Wednesday as they trained for the first time since learning coach Nathan Brown would leave the club at the end of the season.

Starting with a win against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown on Saturday, captain Mitchell Pearce said the Knights want to create a “fairytale finish” to their topsy-turvy season and star fullback Kalyn Ponga revealed Brown had “made me the player I am right now”.

“I guess the timing’s not right – I don’t know why it happened now – but this is the way it is, we’ve got to look past that and get the job done,” Ponga said.

“We trained pretty good today. Everything was the same, our preparation’s going to be the same, he’s still our coach, so it was pretty good out there. It didn’t feel any different.”

Ponga was eating lunch with team-mates when he first became aware of Brown’s impending departure on Tuesday, then their soon-to-be former coach addressed players before fronting a media conference on Wednesday morning.

remote.axd

Brown: Life isn't full of fairytales

“I was pretty shocked at the time but we’re in a professional sport, we’re professional athletes and we have to move on to this week and the next three [games],” Ponga said.

“I was pretty young and naïve and didn’t know much of my trade but he put confidence in me, a lot of leadership and accountability, and he’s been a good man for my family, so I respect him a lot.”

Ponga played two seasons under Paul Green at North Queensland before Brown signed the then 19-year-old prodigy to a lucrative four-year deal with Newcastle.

“Browny’s still here, and while he’s been here he’s been good to me, he’s respected me, and he’s made me the player I am right now,” Ponga said.

On 360 they showed a clip of Ponga and Pearce talking about Brown leaving. Let’s just say after watching that, it would be no surprise to find out Ponga told the club get rid of him or I’m outta here.
I would sack them both

This article doesn't chime with that scenario...but who knows?

'Nathan made me the player I am now': Ponga
Wed 21 Aug 2019, 04:38 PM
It was business as usual for Newcastle players on Wednesday as they trained for the first time since learning coach Nathan Brown would leave the club at the end of the season.

Starting with a win against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown on Saturday, captain Mitchell Pearce said the Knights want to create a “fairytale finish” to their topsy-turvy season and star fullback Kalyn Ponga revealed Brown had “made me the player I am right now”.

“I guess the timing’s not right – I don’t know why it happened now – but this is the way it is, we’ve got to look past that and get the job done,” Ponga said.

“We trained pretty good today. Everything was the same, our preparation’s going to be the same, he’s still our coach, so it was pretty good out there. It didn’t feel any different.”

Ponga was eating lunch with team-mates when he first became aware of Brown’s impending departure on Tuesday, then their soon-to-be former coach addressed players before fronting a media conference on Wednesday morning.

remote.axd

Brown: Life isn't full of fairytales

“I was pretty shocked at the time but we’re in a professional sport, we’re professional athletes and we have to move on to this week and the next three [games],” Ponga said.

“I was pretty young and naïve and didn’t know much of my trade but he put confidence in me, a lot of leadership and accountability, and he’s been a good man for my family, so I respect him a lot.”

Ponga played two seasons under Paul Green at North Queensland before Brown signed the then 19-year-old prodigy to a lucrative four-year deal with Newcastle.

“Browny’s still here, and while he’s been here he’s been good to me, he’s respected me, and he’s made me the player I am right now,” Ponga said.

The interview was very bad on NRL360 they even asked him how Brown improved his game and dead set didn't say anything, his manager probably arranged that article after the interview. Ben Ikin, Hooper and Kent all said that from the interviews it was obvious that it wasn't a shock

Don’t know enough about Brown to judge his coaching but barring a strong finish his record suggests mediocrity.
Not impressed with some of his public commentary either.
In one article he says he made first graders out of several Knights - but included Sione Mata’utia - who played for Australia 2 years before Brown even started there.

Brown said he still has the passion to coach and referenced Bennett's time at the club when discussing his coaching future.

"There'll always be jobs for people like me because there's plenty of selfish coaches who make short-term decisions and ruin footy clubs," he said.

"There'll be another club that will have and old roster that's been ruined and someone will get me to come in and try and fix it up, because that's the job that I do. The realities of that job? I may not get the benefits of it. But I get paid well and I live a good lifestyle.

There's room for him at other clubs in a recruitment role. He did a good job recruiting - but he is a bottom tier coach.

Barrett's exit from Manly should have been a reminder to everyone that it's better to keep your mouth shut on your way out.

I respect Brownie for exiting as he did.
He realised he'd gone as far as he could with the druggos.
Reminds me a bit of premiership winning coach Michael Hagan who walked from the slime in 08.
He was just over it.
Coaching ain't for everyone and I'd rather the bloke with the ticker to put his hand up and say when he's done to the bloke who continues to masquerade as something he's not.
Like the punce we had in the last 3 seasons...

Got the same impression.
Though in every interview I have seen with Pongo he seems about as trustworthy as a used car salesman.
Something missing every time.
I think it's sincerity...

I respect Brownie for exiting as he did.
He realised he'd gone as far as he could with the druggos.
Reminds me a bit of premiership winning coach Michael Hagan who walked from the slime in 08.
He was just over it.
Coaching ain't for everyone and I'd rather the bloke with the ticker to put his hand up and say when he's done to the bloke who continues to masquerade as something he's not.
Like the punce we had in the last 3 seasons...

Everything about this reads like he was pushed.

At the beginning of the season everyone was saying that “the Knights have a backline the envy of the league”. I thought wtf? Player for player our backline & forwards pi$$ on theirs! There’s not one Knights player would make it into our team apart from Klemmer & possibly Ponga as far as I’m concerned!!!!!!! Now the talk is the Knights have cash to splash & are in the market for players. Another club, along with the Eels, with an endless salary cap!

Some might not agree with this, but I wouldn't have either Klemmer or Ponga.

Ponga, for all of his talent and the hype that goes with it, is very inconsistent.

And Klemmer? He's a metre eater, nothing else. He doesn't pass the ball, he offloads once in a blue moon and doesn't create any second phase play, he rarely brakes tackles. Personally I would have Marty and AFB over Klemmer any time.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11