News: Sea Eagles' begging bowl

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ryan link said:
So, we are cast alongside the fraudulent, cheating Storm, and the habitual losing NSW Blues.

Nice.

And we are the team where one of our star forwards punches sponsors at the season launch.  That and Brett's court case have hurt us more than we think.

Ryan link said:
So David Kenney had a relationship with Mayer - same thing.
I knew Pat Wilson (kind of). I work for Nab. I introduced Nab to Pat Wilson.

That's how it works.

That's a far cry from your original statement that "I know for fact that Grant Mayer personally knew the CEO of Quantum, and this is the SOLE reason why they came on".

This is not a go at you mate.  You were told what you were told and faithfully repeated it here.

You may wish to reflect on why someone would tell you something that was patently untrue and it should give you pause to question the veracity of anything else that person told you.

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=186294.msg313467#msg313467 date=1296189191]
Who's up for a Anne of Green Gables marathon this weekend?

Sounds good but I'll be busy drinking beer and rooting all weekend.
[/quote]

back on the topic...I'd save some room for drinking beer and bourbon next weekend for my bucks...but I'll leave what we're doing up to you ...
Enjoy your rooting mate... I'm in trouble for staying at the pub too late last night so there will be no rooting till I get back in the good books by cooking dinner tonight...it will have to be lamb too if I want to get anywhere!

Craig Mason link said:
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=186294.msg313558#msg313558 date=1296250741]
So David Kenney had a relationship with Mayer - same thing.
I knew Pat Wilson (kind of). I work for Nab. I introduced Nab to Pat Wilson.

That's how it works.

That's a far cry from your original statement that "I know for fact that Grant Mayer personally knew the CEO of Quantum, and this is the SOLE reason why they came on".

This is not a go at you mate.  You were told what you were told and faithfully repeated it here.

You may wish to reflect on why someone would tell you something that was patently untrue and it should give you pause to question the veracity of anything else that person told you.

[/quote]

So it was a case of Mayer being in the right place at the right time.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296264360[/time]

Ryan link said:
I know for fact that Grant Mayer personally knew the CEO of Quantum, and this is the SOLE reason why they came on...so that is rubbish.

In fact, when Delmege and co. were threatenning to oust Mayer, Quantum made the \"out there\" statement, that they would not renew, should he be gone.

Funnily enough, they held to that.

Is this a little "PORKY"?

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I don't quite know how you can say that CC... that is purely hearsay...as far as I know it's a private company and their P & L isn't made public. The Penn family are pretty well off, I don't know the Quantum credentials but I'd be surprised if we are second in line to fall over.

The issue is we don't yet have a major sponsor and that will hurt the owners BUT 2011 is only 28 days old and there's a long way to go until the fat lady sings.

Mark I'm not saying it's likely, but we are one of the NRL's have nots.  Worst home ground that will more than likely never be much improved on what it is now, low membership base, low average crowd attendance and privately owned.  You only have to look at what happened in the NBL with owners who when they went bust, the teams they owned went out the back door.

No major sponsor means the owners would have to kick up a million in cash this year. 

The key to teams surviving is getting more money from the NRL/Commission from TV rights, merchandising etc rather than individual clubs relying on it not raining on game day so the crowd will turn up.

Clit, you're right, the answer is with the TV and broadcast holders coughing up what is a correct sum for the rights.  Gallop better do a better job than he did last time.  And I still think the club may have a case to argue that the rubbish published by News and others damaged our brand and thus seek compensation.  After all if Brett was the face of the NRL, he certainly meant a lot in dollar terms to the club. 

I see a time in the near future (post next TV rights) where a "major sponsor" will be a bonus not a neccesity. The TV stations make gazillions out of our game and it's time for a fair share for the clubs.

Naturally the rich clubs such as the Bronco's manage week to week standing on their head, but most of the Sydney clubs would be struggling,just as we are.

If they (NRL) got 50 Million a year for the last rights, and AFL got 100 Million, then I reckon the next TV rights you'll see the NRL getting up to 100 Million a year for 10 years AND that will allow a lot more money for clubs and finally some money for the grass roots of the game.

It will also allow for the expansion of the game by say two clubs (one in Perth as this ticks all the TV boxes) and another in Queensland somewhere....last week I would have said CQ, this week maybe it is going to be Brisbane after all.

But the bottom line is there will be more money for each club and then this discussion about sponsors or no sponsors won't be as important.

The game from a business point of view hasn't gone anywhere in the last 5-7 years as a great majority of the revenue it produces is ripped out by NEWS (9 million a year of which funds their cheating Frankenstein lovechild club in Melbourne.)

As I recall the TV rights had a year to run when they were re-negotiated last, with Channel 9 winning with an improved yearly amount and Foxtel naming their own price because their parent company owned the comp.

The drama is that every game is on TV live and attendances at the games, which the clubs depend on have fallen.  The right price has to be delivered for the TV rights to be distributed to the clubs to compensate for smaller crowds.

there is some very interesting thoughts on the post.AS for TV rights, expansion, etc nearly everyone is spot on in what they say. The Tv deal will bring more money, the clubs will benefit and expansion opportunities will be there

But at what cost

Another brissie team maybe 2, another Kiwi side, perth, central coast, central qld , and even adelaide is where we need to be somewhere in the next 20 years, and maybe even a PNG team, or something .....who knows

But the NRL in australia will not support a 22 or 26 team comp so sides will have to go for true expansion to occur

The key ingredient here though is the Independant commission. They have a job to create more revenue and look after the game of rugby league in OZ, not each club.

Does anyone not get concerned that news ltd are so willing to exit the game. They say they are sick of bad publicity about the conflict of interest. If it is a true conflict the nrl should have taken them but didnt................wonder why

They are more in control than ever and will get what they want in the end , they just wont be the ones slamming the nails in the coffins of teams as that job now will belong to the IC

The game is heading for a massive shake up in my opinion in the next 10 years . It is going to have to get very professional and clubs that drag there feet off the field will get served . Newtown went, Norths went and rugby league survived, as it will if other clubs go. Dont fool yourself...

manly may not be going broke, may be able to compete but until our organisation becomes much more professional we are always going to be talked about as a team that may get chopped along with the sharks and maybe penriff. With teams in newcastle and canberra, long term there shouldnt be more that 3 or 4 more teams in sydney and i cant see the roosters, dragons being cut, with the dogs, tigers and parra all having pretty good creds as well

Bottom line, sydney does not support rugby league the way melbourne support thr AFL, so sydney teams will fall

Plenty of talk in the media about all the good the IC will bring. Not 1 word about anything negative . that kind of confirms it for me as news ltd is the media. Everyone has been sold a furffy , through the press

The fans all want it because it gives the clubs more cash, to reatain and poach, and that is what has been reported, the clubs want it as they are struggling and are promised more cash

I guess what I'm saying is that with the injection of a couple of extra mill into each club by the TV pot, the begging bowl syndrome can be put to one side.  The membership is growing, albeit slowly, and we will get sponsorship.  I'm not as pessimistic as jbb/james and can't see us disappearing off the Sydney club scene.  A Northside club is important if one is looking at TV coverage of Sydney, and we are the only one.  I do agree that the club must be more professional and there are issues with promotion and the stadium.  I would hope that the club are already in touch with Mike Baird re this issue and are being pro-active in looking for a better media manager.     

hey guys if you want manly to prosper all they need is 10,000 ppl who support manly to bring their super over to sports super who will in turn give manly a handy half million each year  .. if they get 1,000  ppl to sign up they only get 50,000 each yr for any memeber who has over 25,000  dollars in their super..
so why dont you sign up for this ,i did .. i knw you ppl wont  but you would rather sit hear & bitch how manly have no money .. fukn help them then..

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296285242[/time]

i knw half mill wont pull them out but they can bank it for the future,, & build on it..each yr they will get that if they can get 10,000 members with 25,000 dollars or more in their super..

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296285318[/time]

if you dont want to become a ticketed member move your super over to sports super , it would be just has good for them..  & no im not getting paid by them...............

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296285407[/time]

lucky theres no smite`s hey boy`s ;) be a picnic now .. lol  ;D

Good thoughts (as always) James.

There's no doubt there are more teams in Sydney than Sydney needs.

There's no doubt there are less teams in Brisbane than Brisbane needs.

There's no doubt the TV Chanels LOVE their live footy and Perth (on a Saturday night at 7.30pm Perth time) would give them that.

There's no doubt that the next TV rights will deliver far more cash than ever before.

There IS however doubt on how that will be spent.

I see some possible changes in the next TV deal, perhaps a 7/10 combination (with Foxtel of course) to show more live games...not as fanciful as it might sound, although 9 will pay huge money to keep it.

Perhaps we see this,

Fri Brisbane live at 7.30pm (QLD game)
   Sydney live at 7.30pm (NSW game)

Sat Game 1 live at 5.30pm
     Game 2 live at 7.30pm
     Game 3 live at 9.30pm (Perth), when Perth are away this would be delayed or a game played at 3.30pm

Sun Game 1 live at 11.30am (coming from Auckland when they are at home)...this would be on Fox and is only offered when AKL are at home
     Game 2 live at 2.00pm
     Game 3 live at 4.00pm
     Game 4 live at 6.00pm (Foxtel)

Mon The usual Monday night football (as much as we all hate it when it's our team)

One weekend EVERY game live, the next all live bar one.

NOW

That could be changed by having a 3.30pm game on Saturday afternoon, I know not perfect timing for the fans BUT I am talking for TV and hopefully getting MUCH larger dollars as a result.

We ALL love live games, so do the TV stations...and they should be paying a lot more for the getting them.

I agre about the shake up James, but for me it will come as a result of TV wanting more live games.

great idea mark may be we can get you involved in the programing of games the experience you have in the supporters area  could be used in the leagues negotiations and programing area you have better ideas than the idiots in control of programing and a wider view of the potential of the game than the lame duck gallop regards zambuck

Craig Mason link said:
[pre][quote author=Ryan link=topic=186294.msg313214#msg313214 date=1295994404]
I know for fact that Grant Mayer personally knew the CEO of Quantum, and this is the SOLE reason why they came on...so that is rubbish.

Grant Mayer did not know anyone at Quantum.

The Quantum sponsorship came about because of David Kenney from the One-Eyed Eagles group. 

David Kenney is a Partner at HallChadwick.  Drew Townsend is also a Partner at HallChadwick and is the Chairman (and significant shareholder) of Quantum.

Quite simply, David Kenney dropped the Quantum deal in Mayer's lap. 

David Kenney set up the first meeting between Mayer and Quantum CEO Phil Sidney.  It was David Kenney that accompanied Phil Sidney into the post 40-0 GF dressing room.

Of course Mayer had to close the deal, which he did, but with Quantum dead set keen and coming off a record GF win, it was an easy sell.

For the record, whilst Lowe is getting pats on the back for th upgraded Centrebet deal, the reality is much of the groundwork for that deal was done during Mayers time and mayer probably would have had centrebet on the jersey except for the NRL ban on jersey-betting sponsorships at the time (now lifted).[/pre]

[/quote]  Quantam did however think highly of Mayer and walked when Mayer was knifed.  Which is what Ryan originally said. 

While a Qld game is probable going to be shown live there are several Sydney games in Qld that should be shown regardless i.e Souths vs Easts (Season kick off) the two oldest clubs up going against each other

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Good thoughts (as always) James.

There's no doubt there are more teams in Sydney than Sydney needs.

There's no doubt there are less teams in Brisbane than Brisbane needs.

There's no doubt the TV Chanels LOVE their live footy and Perth (on a Saturday night at 7.30pm Perth time) would give them that.

There's no doubt that the next TV rights will deliver far more cash than ever before.

There IS however doubt on how that will be spent.

I see some possible changes in the next TV deal, perhaps a 7/10 combination (with Foxtel of course) to show more live games...not as fanciful as it might sound, although 9 will pay huge money to keep it.

Perhaps we see this,

Fri Brisbane live at 7.30pm (QLD game)
    Sydney live at 7.30pm (NSW game)

Sat Game 1 live at 5.30pm
      Game 2 live at 7.30pm
      Game 3 live at 9.30pm (Perth), when Perth are away this would be delayed or a game played at 3.30pm

Sun Game 1 live at 11.30am (coming from Auckland when they are at home)...this would be on Fox and is only offered when AKL are at home
      Game 2 live at 2.00pm
      Game 3 live at 4.00pm
      Game 4 live at 6.00pm (Foxtel)

Mon The usual Monday night football (as much as we all hate it when it's our team)

One weekend EVERY game live, the next all live bar one.

NOW

That could be changed by having a 3.30pm game on Saturday afternoon, I know not perfect timing for the fans BUT I am talking for TV and hopefully getting MUCH larger dollars as a result.

We ALL love live games, so do the TV stations...and they should be paying a lot more for the getting them.

I agre about the shake up James, but for me it will come as a result of TV wanting more live games.

Yep yep and yep but where has the anti siphoning areement ended up. I was following it for a while but lost track

This also has impact on the NRL and other sports ability to flog there game. When the govt insists a certain amount of games must stay of free to air( i dont have fox so go you good thing) for cultural signifigance. From memory that is at least 3 games per week. This elimainates some competition in the negotiating as fox cant compete against 9 in a apples v apples scenario

The deabate and agreement has been going on for almost a year and i think it has just a little fine tuning to be finalised

But it has a big influence also on how the games, and when the games are screened

Please read the below article (in particular the 2nd last paragraph.) Try again guys to dispute what I said - as fact).

Manly Record A Financial Loss For 2008

THE effects of the global financial crisis may have a heavy impact on Manly, with the collapse of a proposed re-development of the premiers' leagues club by Sea Eagles co-owners Max Delmege and Scott Penn.

The $15 million deal, which was approved by members last July, would have put Delmege and Penn in control of the building at Brookvale that houses Manly Leagues Club as part of a plan to return it to profitability and help fund the football operation.

But the joint bid has been withdrawn, leading to speculation there has been a falling out between the football club owners, who each hold a 41.5 per cent stake in the Sea Eagles.

The Herald understands that the proposal fell apart after Delmege, a property developer, withdrew from the venture - although there are suggestions that both he and Penn could now table separate bids for the leagues club premises.

However, the collapse of the deal may also intensify legal action against the club by another northern beaches property developer, Phil Franks.

Delmege helped keep the Sea Eagles afloat after the collapse of the Northern Eagles joint venture with North Sydney. Delmege was also Manly's major sponsor until the end of last season when he withdrew and Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer found Quantum Eco Hot Water as a replacement.

Despite winning the grand final, the Sea Eagles still had a financial loss last year and Delmege and Penn were again forced to meet the shortfall.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296335561[/time]

Another one

Source: http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=32290

GRANT MAYER & SCOTT PENN PRESS CONFERENCE AUDIO
   Saturday 14 Feb 2009 08:51
   by Matthew O'Neill

Quantum Eco Hot Water signed on as major sponsors of the Manly club yesterday as CEO Grant Mayer and Chairman Scott Penn were forced to answer questions about the Sean Eagles boardroom politics.

It was revealed that Mayer had lost the support of the boardroom with the split being 5-2 against re-appointing Mayer as Chief Executive despite the outstanding success he has enjoyed at Manly since taking on the top position. Mayer yesterday brought Quantum Eco Hot Water to the Sea Eagles as major sponsor in a deal believed to be worth $2.6million.

Mayer has said he'll resign at the end of the season unless he can obtain the full support of the board, which has been split into several factions.

Penn and fellow co-owner Max Delege have fallen out over a range of issues and Penn has accused Delmege of not coming to the party in his financial commitment to the Manly franchise.

Some of the comments Penn said in the press conference included, "I don't believe there is any dispute about the money owed. It's probably not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things when it comes to his [Delmege] situation, but we need that money. We're talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time, in the pre-season, when you can't rely on things like gate receipts to keep the club going.

"We're solvent, there is no question of that," Penn said. "But over the term of the coming months we need that money. Things aren't critical now, but unless the situation changes it will become an issue. If arrangements are not being met, the board has to figure out what to do, and that [legal action] is one of the options. The directors have a fiduciary responsibility."

Mayer tookover as Manly CEO in 2006 and has achieved great success since he has been at the helm. Prior to coming to Manly Mayer was the initial CEO of the French based Super League side Catalans and before that had six years at the Bulldogs in a variety of roles up until 2005. Mayer's departure from the Bulldogs midway through 2005 was one of the major triggers for their sudden decline after winning the title in 2004.

Commenting on the whole boardroom scuffle, a dignified Mayer said, "It's a very political environment here at the moment.

"People have used my position as a trigger for a whole rung of other issues, but that's part of being a CEO. Unfortunately, this club excels in drama during the off-season and that's not good for the team or the fans. I just hope our stake-holders can get together in a room and continue to support our club.

"I'm happy to step aside at the end of the season to help make that happen, if that's what it takes, but Scott hasn't accepted my letter of resignation and nine months is a long time. My aim has always been to be here for a long time, but we need to resolve some issues."

The full press conference with Mayer and Penn lasted just over seven minutes with both individuals very up front and honest. Rleague.com also obtained footage of the press conference with Manly coach Des Hasler and captain Matt Orford as they previewed the upcoming World Club Challenge fixture against Leeds. The audio of the Hasler/Orford press conference to be posted in the next article.

Rleague.com also gained quick interviews with David Williams, Michael Robertson and Jamie Lyon and all three talked about the 2008 Grand Final, paid tribute to the great Steve Menzies and talked up the World Club Challenge and the NRL season ahead. Williams also spoke about the floods in North Queensland, which is where his brother and Cowboys winger John Williams resides.

In an exclusive, Rleague.com will interview Mayer in a special interview after Manly arrive back from the World Club Challenge and leading into their Round 1 clash against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

Rleague.com would like to thank the Manly club for their hospitality and generosity and in particular would like to give a free plug to Old Bar Quality Meats for making the trip down from near Taree to put on a BBQ for all the players, officials and media in attendance. It's people like them that are the backbone of Rugby League clubs.

Audio Links: http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=32290

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296335632[/time]

So Craig Mason (or should I say Graham)....good try. And DSM5, continuing to feel like an imbecile? And swoop....no....not a porky whatsoever. You should be careful of who you listen to mate.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1296336081[/time]

You see Craig, you were right, but so was I. Introductions, and getting the deal done are two separate things. As I said about Nab / Pat Wilson above.

The Manly Sea Eagles and Quantum Energy would like to thank David Kenney, Partner of Hall Chadwick Charetered Accountants and long time Sea Eagles fan for making the intitial introduction between the Club and its new Major Sponsor.

Did David GET his $100k for the introduction. Remember that initiative? Who brought that about? Could this not have been a paramount driver?

Nice attempt at spin Ryan, it doesn't say anywhere in that article that Mayer personally knew the CEO of Qantam and that he was the sole reason they signed up.

Don't let your Lowe hate cloud the accuracy of your facts. If Mayer was so integral to Qantam's involvement with the club and they were personal friends why has Qantam taken equity in a club that shafted their best mate ? Are they getting the numbers together to bring him back ?

Ryan link said:
Try again guys to dispute what I said - as fact).

Everyone bar yourself (and perhaps your friend matabelle) can see that I have already demolished your original statement.

Quantum gave their sponsorship offer to the Sea Eagles in writing within 2 weeks of the Grand Final, which was only 3 weeks after Delmege pulled out.  David Kenney had Quantum as good as over the line before Grant Mayer even knew about them.  David Kenney is the reason they came on board and no, he did not seek (nor did he receive) the $100k spotters fee he could have claimed.

As for Quantum walking.... Mayer left in Jul09, Quantum finished their sponsorship in Oct10 and then "walked" into 37% ownership of the Sea Eagles in Nov10.  Yep, they really showed the Sea Eagles organisation what they thought of Mayer leaving.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8