• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RiverEagle said:
Yeah I've really gotta' bite my tongue here.

Momentum is everything in rugby league and Penrith were helped along enormously in the 1st half; particularly the 1st half-hour. (Apart from the 4 or 5 penalties in a row).

Our disallowed try WAS wrong. NO obstruction.
Skivi on report and penalized for hittin' a bloke square-on (front on) is NOT a shoulder-charge. It's a man's game and it was another typical Matai mash-up and no more.

The penalty on Taufua, for blocking the Riff kid, wasn't a penalty either.
He didn't change his line. He stood still and readied for contact. Horhay can't disappear and the kid is obliged to go around him, to chase his chip-kick.

Jamal Idris rolled around like a beached whale on our line, making NO effort to get up. Get's the penalty; next phase the Riff score.

And so on.
I'm sure plenty's been said about the refs as usual (or there SHOULD be).

And I'll give Penrith credit. They came to play and are a good team now.

Soward (although from Wagga) has lost me for good. He's the biggest sook amongst quite a few in the NRL these days.

Same with the Nein commentary AGAIN too. Fittler, Sterlo, even Warren wet 'emselves for 60 minutes over the Riff effort, and I did mute most of the commentary in the end!

Twice as sweet to win in those circumstances. Also PERFECT rehearsal for tough finals-footy. And triple-treat to me, STOKED 18K-crowd got there for the occasion.

Thanks to all that got there; were rewarded with an exciting, if messy and frustrating game. And we're STILL alone on top of the table!

The less said about the miserly, miserable, moaning attitude of too many Manly "supporters" here the better, for mine.

So I'll leave it at that and hope my perspective is crystal-clear.

God bless you for a positive post. It was a great game, and yes, Penrith are good now they stuck some good tackles.
Sick of the negative creeps on here.

NYEagle

NYEagle said:
RiverEagle said:

Momentum is everything in rugby league and Penrith were helped along enormously in the 1st half; particularly the 1st half-hour. (Apart from the 4 or 5 penalties in a row).

Skivi on report and penalized for hittin' a bloke square-on (front on) is NOT a shoulder-charge. It's a man's game and it was another typical Matai mash-up and no more.

He didn't change his line. He stood still and readied for contact. Horhay can't disappear and the kid is obliged to go around him, to chase his chip-kick.

Jamal Idris rolled around like a beached whale on our line, making NO effort to get up. Get's the penalty; next phase the Riff score.

And so on.

Soward (although from Wagga) has lost me for good. He's the biggest sook amongst quite a few in the NRL these days.

Same with the Nein commentary AGAIN too. Fittler, Sterlo, even Warren wet 'emselves for 60 minutes over the Riff effort, and I did mute most of the commentary in the end!

Twice as sweet to win in those circumstances. Also PERFECT rehearsal for tough finals-footy. And triple-treat to me, STOKED 18K-crowd got there for the occasion.

Thanks to all that got there; were rewarded with an exciting, if messy and frustrating game. And we're STILL alone on top of the table!

The less said about the miserly, miserable, moaning attitude of too many Manly "supporters" here the better, for mine.

God bless you for a positive post. It was a great game, and yes, Penrith are good now they stuck some good tackles.

NYEagle

Can you define "negative creeps" please! It was not a great game....you are delusional :)

I remember the days on here when a disagreement was a disagreement not delusional

No one says you have to agree with everyone (in fact it is better when there are opposite views discussed) but show some respect for your fellow fans

I think Slothfield started this thread to take the heat off the Sharks.....

FFS 1 week out from semis and we r first and worst case is 2nd...have I missed something????

Wombat Legacy said:
NYEagle said:
RiverEagle said:

And so on.

NYEagle

Can you define "negative creeps" please! It was not a great game....you are delusional :)

Negative Creep? I'll let Kurt take it from here

http://youtu.be/C-r9tuPrZK4

lsz said:
I remember the days on here when a disagreement was a disagreement not delusional

No one says you have to agree with everyone (in fact it is better when there are opposite views discussed) but show some respect for your fellow fans

That's right! :)

Penrith are a well coached team with tremendous depth, good size and play with just enough variety and structure to trouble many teams even with their current depleted squad.

In saying that we really at times struggled to contain their forwards on top of a lack of go forward from our front row as per usual which is applying too much pressure on the back row, halves and backline to fill the void with lateral risky plays.

Manly don't win the early penalty counts due to the oppositions fresh forwards with size punching through and winning the tackle with our smaller forwards struggling to slow down the play the ball in a dominant manner, even lacking dominance in the wrestle.

Jamie Lyons pass in the first half is a direct cause from a lack of go forward and the need to be more lateral and creative(take more risks) to generate decent yardage gains.

Until Watmough, Matai and Horo added some aggressive starch in the defence combined with a little more straight running with purpose and intent Manly were not going to turn this game around.

Once we get into the red zone off the back of penalties or a decent go forward set we lack composure due to the fact the pressure is on for the backline to take advantage of the limited opportunities of getting this close to the try line. In general play and going set for set we are not making the yardage at times or forcing turnovers with dominant defence for more opportunities within range.

The back set of each half our smaller size and mobility can start to show it's advantages against fatiguing bigger size teams as long as we stay within arms distance, but the start of each half is where the issues can get way out of control---penalties, offloads and a lack of possession and field position.

manlyfan76 said:
Wombat Legacy said:
NYEagle said:
RiverEagle said:

And so on.

NYEagle

Negative Creep? I'll let Kurt take it from here

http://youtu.be/C-r9tuPrZK4

Yep that's exactly where I get it from. Thanks. :)
NYEagle

Technical Coach said:
Penrith are a well coached team with tremendous depth, good size and play with just enough variety and structure to trouble many teams even with their current depleted squad.

In saying that we really at times struggled to contain their forwards on top of a lack of go forward from our front row as per usual which is applying too much pressure on the back row, halves and backline to fill the void with lateral risky plays.

Manly don't win the early penalty counts due to the oppositions fresh forwards with size punching through and winning the tackle with our smaller forwards struggling to slow down the play the ball in a dominant manner, even lacking dominance in the wrestle.

Jamie Lyons pass in the first half is a direct cause of a lack of go forward and the need to be more lateral and creative(take more risks) to generate decent yardage gains.

Until Watmough, Matai and Horo added some aggressive starch in the defence combined with a little more straight running with purpose and intent Manly were not going to turn this game around.

Once we get into the red zone off the back of penalties or a decent go forward set we lack composure due to the fact the pressure is on for the backline to take advantage of the limited opportunities of getting this close to the try line. In general play and going set for set we are not making the yardage at times or forcing turnovers with dominant defence for more opportunities within range.

The back set of each half our smaller size and mobility can start to show it's advantages against fatiguing bigger size teams as long as we stay within arms distance, but the start of each half is where the issues can get way out of control---penalties, offloads and a lack of possession and field position.

And I read "We were rubbish. If not rubbish, then ordinary." :)

RiverEagle said:

I'm sure the 18K crowd played a big part in getting the win - much less and we would've lost it. Thankfully the weather was with us.

If it's any consolation RE, from my perspective there were no 'miserly, miserable, moaning' Manly supporters at the game or the club afterwards.....and they would number a whole lot more than those on here!

I'd like to make an observation that I haven't heard on here.

I have noticed that Manly have integrated forwards into backline moves of late. Today this slowed the play down a lot and the backline movements were often clunky. To see players like Kingy, Starling and even Horo chiming into backline at times just looked wrong. We have the elements that form the greatest backline in the league why are we not using these like we had all year?.

I think it's affected Cherry a lot. The structures are different and he is often forced to run sideways and that's not his game. The depth in the backline is not there. I hope Manly are not trying to copy the bulldogs.

Perhaps Manly are trying to not look predictable. Perhaps the forwards don't have the punch to hit it up straight and hard, but I saw a lot of side to side, and involving forwards, that was confusing. Maybe this was even why passes went to ground a lot more than usual as the simple backline plays are becoming more complicated and have too many variables.

NYEagle

ManlyBacker said:
Technical Coach said:

Jamie Lyons pass in the first half is a direct cause of a lack of go forward and the need to be more lateral and creative(take more risks) to generate decent yardage gains.

And I read "We were rubbish. If not rubbish, then ordinary." :)

Doing our best with limited forwards.

One thing I learned today is that Josh Mansour is a hard man to tackle. Is he a Blue or a Maroon, he wouldn't look out of place in Origin ??

He makes ground every time he runs the ball. Horhay woudl do well to watch some of his tapes and see if he can get some of his mojo back, he should be doing the same. Although I will admit Jorges effort today was one of his better ones this year.

I'm of the same opinion! Let's all forget how rubbish we played because we pulled a rabbit out of a hat......again! The win hides the fact that we aren't completing sets, we're off the mark, we're lacking discipline and no structure, without snake today we get absolutely smoked !

Reading an article earlier this week I think it was with Jamie Lyon and I got the impression he feels the same way about the forwards.

Without trying to disrespect them he basically said Manly appreciate what the forwards do--- to me it came across as "I know we don't have the best forwards in the comp and they are doing the best they can but I can see where people feel we have a lack of depth, quality and size in this area"

Ok probably me just reading into the comments but hey that is what we do all day here at Silvertails so I thought I may as well jump on board.

I think we all know our forwards aren't up to the size or speed of several other teams but we make the best of what we have. We've lost Kite, Joe, Rose, Ritchie and Gift from last year which is a hell of a lot of experience and grunt. If anyone said at the start of the year we would be lone first going into the last round then we would have been extremely happy. Yeah we are looking shaky but hey we are FIRST and guaranteed top 2 finish. Let's rejoice in an amazing win today and at least going into week 2 of the finals for the 10th straight year. An amazing feat no other team in the NRL has ever done. We probably won't win it this year but there are 15 other teams who wish they were sitting where we are on the table. We'll give it a shake and that's better than most. Try to enjoy it for what it is because when we do lose these great players we may be in for some lean times.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6