Roosters turn 9s into a joke. Who next.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Nein to Freddy at the Nines
By Geoff Koop, 4 Jan 2014

I’m quite looking forward to the Auckland Nines. As a Broncos fan I want to see how Ben Barba goes in maroon and gold, but also how the weekend makes some of the lesser-known names into players kids seek out for autographs on match day.

What a shame that won’t come from last year’s minor and major premiers the Sydney Roosters.

Yes, I am calling out one of the modern day greats for not only making a selfish decision but possibly hindering the development of the game’s future stars.

If Brad Fittler gathered a few of his mates, like Andrew Johns, Laurie Daley, Wendell Sailor and Gorden Tallis, got them to head over to NRL HQ and into Dave Smith’s office and say, “Dave, we wanna play at the Nines, can their be a couple of ‘legends’ games over there,” I would be in full support and so would the rest of the NRL community.

A chance to watch former greats run around in an OzTag style match for charity and a bit of fun would fit in well with what the NRL want the weekend to be about.

Even better, a legends versus celebrities match where former players take on Australian actors/actresses and media personalities and such.

I’m sure a few of the current crop of players would get in the ear of Ruben Wiki and ask him to ‘accidentally’ flaw a couple of NRL journos for them.

Instead, Fittler now takes up a place on the Roosters Nines squad that could have potentially been filled by one of their NYC players looking to make it big in the NRL.

This young player could have used the weekend to show what he can do in the game, make a case to other teams to want to give him a spot on their roster, make a case to Trent Robinson to maybe give some more thought into including him in his plans for 2014.

It also compromises the Roosters chances of winning the tournament.

Fittler, now 41 and out of the game since losing the 2004 grand final to Canterbury, becomes the weak link teams can expose at the tournament.

Don’t tell me the Bulldogs, Broncos and Eels won’t be telling their players “Whenever Fittler is on, run straight at him.”

I’ve also seen a few people on social media and some respected journalists claim it ruins the credibility of the tournament.

While one player doesn’t ruin the credibility of a tournament the players will look to have a bit of fun at anyway, it does bring in to question which team will look to a former star next, and once we get a few more former players in team’s rosters for the tournament, then we start to look at credibility issues.

Call me a party pooper if you want, but this tournament will be about fast-paced NRL action, fun and there will be rookies who announce themselves on the NRL stage.

It should not be about a former NRL player looking for one more moment of glory.

Killer03 said:
It really was only a matter of time before the 9s became a bit of a sideshow. Whilst I'm looking forward to it, it really is more of an exhibition than a comp the coaches will take too seriously.

Surely it was a sideshow from the 1st second of its conception?

Shoe1 said:
Killer03 said:
It really was only a matter of time before the 9s became a bit of a sideshow. Whilst I'm looking forward to it, it really is more of an exhibition than a comp the coaches will take too seriously.

Surely it was a sideshow from the 1st second of its conception?

That was Bob.

Besides, with the amount of money on offer, I'd say a few clubs would be taking it seriously. Unless you meant the fittler signing, in which case, yes.

Wayne Bennett dazed by Brad Fittler's plan to return for Auckland Nines

Robert Dillon
Sports Writer, Newcastle Newspapers

Renowned teetotaller Wayne Bennett queried his own sobriety after hearing that Roosters legend Brad Fittler was planning a comeback in the inaugural Auckland Nines tournament.

''I woke up and I thought I had a New Year's hangover for a start,'' Bennett said with a wry smile on Friday. ''I thought maybe I'm just a bit seedy today.''

The master coach said he pondered the issue a ''little bit more'' and realised Fittler, who will turn 42 before the Nines kicks off on February 15, would not be out of place in a Newcastle squad that already includes nine over-30s, even after the retirements of 35-year-olds Danny Buderus and Craig Gower.

''He'd nearly fit into our recruitment plans, because we like those older players,'' Bennett quipped. ''He's probably a bit young for us yet. But another year or two on him and I think we could probably bring him here to the Knights if he doesn't make it in the Nines.''

Bennett felt perhaps Fittler was suffering withdrawal symptoms after the annual All Stars exhibition game was called off to accommodate the Nines. Bennett has coached the NRL All Stars for the past three seasons and Fittler has been his assistant. ''With that game not being on, he's probably just dreaming up what he can do next and Nines was probably just one of those mad moments you have in your life and he thinks: 'I can play in that game','' Bennett said.

When Bennett was reminded that he had orchestrated one of rugby league's most celebrated comebacks by luring Allan Langer back to help Queensland win the 2001 Origin decider, he pointed out Langer had not hung up the boots at that point and was still playing in England. ''Freddy has been retired for a long time,'' Bennett said. ''Maybe Freddy had a bad moment over Christmas and watched some old videos of himself playing and thought he could still do that.''

Fittler's last game was the 2004 grand final, a game in which Willie Mason collected the Clive Churchill Medal after Canterbury's 16-13 triumph. Given that Mason has been used to promote the Nines and appears a certain selection in Newcastle's squad, Fittler could face the daunting prospect of renewing acquaintances with his towering former NSW and Test teammate. ''It wouldn't matter who you run at him, he'll struggle with it,'' Bennett said.

On a serious note, Bennett said the Nines format would be an experiment for all teams and coaches involved. ''It's a bit of an unknown for us,'' he said. ''We haven't played it for a long time. I think '97 was the last time it was played … they went to Fiji, from memory, and we haven't played it since then. Most of us all will be struggling with how to play it and we'll all be a bit wiser after the event.''

Newcastle appear unlikely to risk their only Australian World Cup representative, Darius Boyd, who is not due to start pre-season training for another 10 days. ''Our first priority will just be where guys are at training,'' Bennett said. ''Darius will only be back at training for two or three weeks, so there's an example there. We may not play him. Then there's guys recovering from injuries, so we won't be risking them. We'll put a good team together. We'll pick the best team we can.''

Bennett predicted the Nines would be no place for ''your big, slow forwards'' and some outside backs would have to switch to the engine room.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/wayne-bennett-dazed-by-brad-fittlers-plan-to-return-for-auckland-nines-20140103-309k6.html#ixzz2pZLeR0bV

This is a joke right?

I fear that the 9's will go the same way as the old 7's they played in the 1990's. That tournament, no matter how they tried to dress it up, became nothing more than a sideshow reminding people that league was about to start again for the year.

There is a big difference between Manly fans joking that Beaver should play, and Fittler actually playing for the Chooks. Beaver only retired 3 months ago and that wasn't from park footy, it was the Super League where he was still one of the best forwards going around. Fittler hasn't played since the 2004 GF.

His coaching career at Bondi amounted to nothing, and his commentary on Nein is painful to listen to. Surely the rorters have NYC players who could play and give their WC representatives a rest. Why do they have to call on a 41 year old who hasn't played in 9 1/2 years?

What next, Peter Sterling and Brett Kenny to announce a comeback for the Eels? Mario Fenech to play hooker for the Bunnies? ET to hang up the fishing rod and turn out in the centres for Cronulla? Fatty to be our secret weapon from the bench?

Who's joking? We want beaver to play!!

Actually all teams should be allowed to throw a legend in if they want i reckon.

Surely it comes down to Player Welfare Or Public Liability Insurance.

If Freddy gets hurt by the new breed of Player - Even Wingers are 100kg since he last played - who will cover his injuries? He has to be a fully registered NRL Player to be protected.

Still reckon that it is open to abuse, as any penalty incurred by a $1 Player, would hardly deter them from a long stint on the sideline :cool:

SBW's Manager has ruled Precious out of the Nines.

If form is to go on, he will break another young Player's heart on the eve of the event, riding in on his high horse :mad:

How can this manager still control SBW's league career when he isn't accredited????.....Roosters can do what they want, this whole concept is a sham now and they got rid of a good game of footy to run this sh1t.

Dave Smith you've done it again....Passion Fingers Smith, stop touching things u know nothing about

HappilyManly said:
Surely it comes down to Player Welfare Or Public Liability Insurance.

If Freddy gets hurt by the new breed of Player - Even Wingers are 100kg since he last played - who will cover his injuries? He has to be a fully registered NRL Player to be protected.

Still reckon that it is open to abuse, as any penalty incurred by a $1 Player, would hardly deter them from a long stint on the sideline :cool:

Wasnt there an issue many moons ago, when Mark Geyer came out of retirement in something Russel Crowe arranged and he broke his leg.He was not to happy and had a go at the organisers as he wasnt covered.

Somehow i think freddy might be a bit more secure than his mate though.

ASADA apparently requires a 9 month notice before a former international athlete can compete - like they did with Thorpy.

So, Freddy's resurrection is over :cool:

Pat rafter is returning to the aussie open, as hewitt's partner in the doubles.

So maybe there's something in that aust water down there that's making you all want to come out of retirement!

Crazy!

I hope Manly Field a Strong Team as there is a share of over $2 million in Prize Money. Manly Financially could do with this. There will be a Team of 15 players selected. Your fastest Forwards at the club, then your Fastest Backs. It will be a Fast Game and you need Fit Players.

Now you'll all probably be shocked to hear this but......

greenburg and the nrl has green lighted freddy's return for the nines.

If you're grocery shopping today, there may be a shortage of paper bags.

I expect he will be as effective as Rafter was - ended up as an embarassed former elite athlete :cool:

The only interesting aspect is how the Salary Cap Auditor rubber stamped this contract.
May open a can of worms for the NRL if other Clubs start applying for it too :dodgy:

Back page of Manly Daily today has a column on how '..plenty of Players have put their hand up..' For the Nines :angel:
Manly don't live in fear and sounds like another Trophy is in their sites :)

Frogz said:
Its cr@p really....Poor Rorters players are tired. They don't even have to go to England to play WCC.
[/quot
I think its a Joke Fitler playing, wait till he gets tackled ! Its a Fast Game, you need Fit, Speedy Guys to play. I would like to see some of the Young Ones get a Run. He's had his chance.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7