Samuela Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Really ???

I think you’ll find they were very disappointed to see him go but he put a lot of pressure on to break his contract so I’m not sure that’s “ letting him walk “.

Yes we could have played “ hard ball “ but do you want a bitterly disgruntled player on your books at $850k who just refuses to do anything other than turn up !!
He's actually on $1 mil according to that top 100 salaries article. All his bullsh*t reasons about getting away from bad influences in Sydney and family reasons was nothing more than code for they showed me more money. Fuk him hope he falls in hole when we play them in a few weeks.

That AFB loss wasn’t looking too bad last year when he was playing like absolute trash. Playing great footy this year, but he’s still a bit behind Haas and JFH as number 1 prop in the game.

Really ???

I think you’ll find they were very disappointed to see him go but he put a lot of pressure on to break his contract so I’m not sure that’s “ letting him walk “.

Yes we could have played “ hard ball “ but do you want a bitterly disgruntled player on your books at $850k who just refuses to do anything other than turn up !!
He still walked. And we part took in it even if we didn't want him too. Haas wanted a release a year or two ago, and that worked out fine. There's always something that can be done, maybe we tried, maybe we didn't. But I get the feeling it all happened pretty fast, and the club didnt do much to convince him otherwise

That AFB loss wasn’t looking too bad last year when he was playing like absolute trash. Playing great footy this year, but he’s still a bit behind Haas and JFH as number 1 prop in the game.
Still an A1 prop. Definitely top 3-5 in the game.
No particular order.

Haas
AFB
JFH
RCG
Big Tino

Honourable mention
Tapine

For what it’s worth, the contracts for all three brothers was based on potential and a huge amount of goodwill from the club. The unconditional support for the family from the point where criminal charges were laid for the ‘proven‘ NRL brother, all speak to an investment by the club in their collective future. Sure, manly expected to reap the rewards into the future, however where is the Fainu family moral compass?? What’s with the nrl players of today.. just kids without integrity maybe?

Sione jumps ship to chase the cash and opportunity for nrl game time (lol) now Latu and Samuela have the option to leave… how about sticking it out, taking a fair contract value and earning your stripes, then repaying the clubs blind faith in ‘the family.’ The clan could have setup a dynasty for the gangsta crew and their peeps… or now, could well drift off into the darkness and be coulda been stars. Rant over..

…..The clan could have setup a dynasty for the gangsta crew and their peeps… or now, could well drift off into the darkness and be coulda been stars. Rant over..
Good post, but would we want a ‘gangsta crew’ anywhere near the joint to begin with?

Most people would have thought that in the prefabricated Melamine corridors, quasi-portaloo dunnies and Coffee Mate alcoves at Narrabeen (prior to the Ballpoint Penn Centre of Mediocrity move) of former rugba league superpower club Manly-Warringah, that someone would have learnt the lesson of the misguided faith* placed in another large non-nuclear family unit, the Hopoate clan.

But no, looks like a variant of that little piece of that dead end history is repeating itself. Investing heavily in familial clusters of players can have its downside.

*Did you see what I did there?;)

Last edited:
Still an A1 prop. Definitely top 3-5 in the game.
No particular order.

Haas
AFB
JFH
RCG
Big Tino

Honourable mention
Tapine
Leota has gone to the top of the pile, at least on a couple of Panthers games I've seen this year, top 3 for me.
JWH wouldn't be on my list but does get an honourable mention for chugging along so late in his career (and especially for getting a new Chook contract so they'll be stuck with him when he's gone one year too long)
Carrigan is top 5. He is a prop isn't he? Well I reckon he's a top 5 prop even if he's not a prop! @:D

Just got the impression that it was more on Manly "s inclination to be a bit indifferent with keeping Latu with Mestrov "s public comment a couple of weeks ago that he had been given permission to negotiate with other clubs .
Looked like main interest was on a D C E - Brooks pairing for the next couple of seasons at least . Still not to take into account that Latu could well be at the stage of then stepping into a halfs i st grade role if he was prepared to transition there in the intervening period . .
Again rightly or wrongly , depending on the factual circumstances , club does not seem too fazed one way or another .
Samual did some good things against an admittedly below strength Dolphins some weeks ago and apparently went well last week with Blacktown
Not sure of course if they consider themselves part of a package deal arrangement in the main or find the prospect of another club connection better then what may seem to be on offer at present .
Plenty of speculation still , be surprised if Latu would leave unless he could receive at least some parity with his current deal ., Samual and after his recent state rep selection, even at a junior level , is hopefully still being encouraged by the club to stay but unfortunately , the club indifference may apply for both players now .

Moses Leota is in the mix as well. Best forward on the field in the GF last year. He runs like a kamikaze and his line speed is ridiculous.

Leota has gone to the top of the pile, at least on a couple of Panthers games I've seen this year, top 3 for me.
JWH wouldn't be on my list but does get an honourable mention for chugging along so late in his career (and especially for getting a new Chook contract so they'll be stuck with him when he's gone one year too long)
Carrigan is top 5. He is a prop isn't he? Well I reckon he's a top 5 prop even if he's not a prop! @:D
All great players! Would take leota in a heartbeat

Moses Leota is in the mix as well. Best forward on the field in the GF last year. He runs like a kamikaze and his line speed is ridiculous.
I was helping out at Penrith with the Harold Matts when he was coming through, talk about a humble young man. He always thanked me for helping out with things and I would just say to him, thats what Im here for mate and Im enjoying it

Letting the Fainu's go from manly could well be part of the implementation of a no di*khead policy in retention and recruitment.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the Fainu brothers and the club, however, I am sure there is a strategic plan there somewhere. Maybe next week (as per Mark).

Arthur has been signed as a half, however, there are rumours of him to lock (he’ll need to put on weight!).

Humphries is a half, but has been playing hooker, and apparently doing well.

Schuster wants to play 5/8 but has agreed to go back to 2nd row next year.

If the above happens, and an injury happens to Brooks or DCE, it now opens the door to Latu (plus Origin of course).

If you have a team with DCE, Brooks, Schuster, potentially Arthur and Humphries in the team, you have some serious attacking weapons who can both kick and create space with their pass. Add Jake to that, as a ball distributor, and of course Turbo, and potentially you could have the most dangerous attack in the competition.

Tommy Talau, I like him, he’s quick and elusive, and has a great pass, and put him inside Saab and Saab will be the leading try scorer in the comp.

However, we still need grunt in the engine room. Jake gives us that and Paseka to a degree and he is improving.

We need a forward pack like Manly has had over many years, where the opposition thinks, Oh ****’, rather than ‘this could be fun’.

Olakau'atu to prop just makes sense to me, with Jake, Paseka and Aloia. If Samuela Fainu stays, maybe he goes to prop, and Olakau'atu stays at second row, however Fainu seems to have some mongrel in him and another year my mature him.

Just my thoughts for what it’s worth.

Letting the Fainu's go from manly could well be part of the implementation of a no di*khead policy in retention and recruitment.
That's a bit unfair unless you can point to something they've done wrong, or at least 'reported' to have done wrong. I'm unaware of anything.

Of all the other players Manly has let go in recent years have you also speculated it could be they were dickheads? If it is simply because their brother is in jail then again it is unfair ... and gives an idea what they probably have to put with on an ongoing basis, when meeting people, let alone sledges from opposition fans and players.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8