Shoulder Charge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Someone needs to challenge the rule at the judiciary and hopefully set a precedent.

That may need to be Jorge. We have Tommy Turbo there if we lose.

You can guarentee there will be a big discussion about it over the off season.

If i had a crystal ball you can see someone missing the GF over trying to protect themselves and it causing a massive debate.

To expect players to not self-protect when faced with a sudden collision is to expect players to no longer be human beings. Doing what Jorge did is an instinctive protective reaction. Like blinking when an object approaches your eyes.

When Greenberg can stop blinking while I'm slapping his face, then he can start talking to me about his new theory.

Jorge won't be charged. Toovey is right, the referees don't know what they are doing. A penalty was given. Case closed.

I think there has to be some commonsense in questioning, is it illegal, is it dangerous or could it be dangerous. In both Mason and Jorge it was embarrassing to see the penalty.

I watched the game Bulldogs V Titans .. wow the tackle on Brett Morris was DANGEROUS. A minimum of sin bin (but no). The refs have enough experience and knowledge to know what is dangerous to act on it. And if they get it wrong so be it.

There are always situations where it is 50/50 calls. eg the try scored off the kick that Snake stuffed up. Even though he was taken out after he tapped it with his foot, it was a great kick, good following up by Raiders, stuff up by Snake. It would not have been fair if not awarded. I go by the creed if it looks like a try or penalty it is. Mistakes will be made but that least in the long run the best team will win.

I'm going to play Devils advocate. Matai is the perfect person to show players can change.

He changed his tackling technique to use his arms and he still smashes players left and right

Jorge shouldn't be charged. But players need to be smarter about it. It's not going to change.

The shoulder charge rule is a crock of s***.
We have rules made up on the spot by the NRL, then we have rules that have been in the actual "rule book" (yes we do actually have a rule book) forever. Things like playing the ball with your foot, feeding the ball into the middle of the scrum, pushing in the scrum, forward passes - are completely ignored by these so called referees and are some of the things making our game a debacle.

The NRL really know how to take the spotlight off the football.
What's everybody talking about? Their dumb shoulder charge rule!

Considering the trends in US sports towards player welfare (and post career liability) and the recent death in QLD I am not sure the NRL had much of a choice in implementing a "crack down".

The issue for me, as always, is how it has been implemented. What would have made sense is to implement last week and have a week for the teams to adjust...at the same time highlighting what could have been done to the players i.e. Mason would have got spoken to / highlighted as a challenge which would have come under further scrutiny. Finally they also need to find the balance between intent and self preservation

If they are so worried about player welfare they may as well just ban tackling. We can all watch touch footy.

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8