• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Anybody who wants to have a go. I don't care about making the 8 this season. I want to focus on reclaiming our culture. I would happily accept a wooden spoon if it meant putting out 17 men with a willingness to invest their heart and soul into their team mates. 17 men who loved their footy and fully appreciated the opportunity to play the game.

I can understand where you are comin from but considering the team / injuries I am not sure that any other player would have been much of an improvement

If we were Parra and backed by unlimited pokies money, then Snake would retire, be paid out, and we'd get salary cap relief for the remainder of this year and next.

To me it looks more about attitude than injury. Take walker's second try for example. Generally with a chip back in like that he would be there or there abouts. When he wasn't there for the kick, you'd think he might loom up in support of the guy who regathered. Yesterday nothing !!! Up to the 50th minute there were enough half breaks for the Stewart of old to score a hatrick, but the support play seems to have gone. Maybe its a case of him not reading the new players, but geez a few weeks have gone by now. (enough for our season to be stuffed).

I can understand where you are comin from but considering the team / injuries I am not sure that any other player would have been much of an improvement
That's quite possibly correct, Isz. I'd be guessing as to whether there were any lower grade players available who would genuinely appreciate the opportunity and throw themselves in heart and soul. And it would have been unlikely to change the result given it needs to happen at a team level and be lead from the top (club and coaching staff) all the way down. However, that small spark of heart and humble appreciation may just be what's needed to start rebuilding a culture.

I guess what I am feeling and trying to articulate is... the club/coaching staff are looking in the wrong place. Instead of thinking about finals/wins/positions (i.e.; scrambling to put the best-looking team on paper out to try and claim a win) we should invert our thinking and look for heart, commitment and genuine appreciation amongst players in the club. Promote those who have it and demote those who don't. Start building around that and disregard the win/loss record that will inevitably follow until that culture is rebuilt and strong.

I have assumed this to be the reason. He was supposed to have had a good pre-season but was then injured (just before round 1?) and since then there has been pressure to get him on the field to guide the new blokes around.
It's not working, so rest him to get fit.
Or ... if he is fit... sorry Snake, NSW Cup.

This is spot on SER8.

If he's injured, let him recover until he's 100%.

If this is an attitude thing, we're not going to cop that. Spit your dummy somewhere else.

I'd drop him if he wants to carry on.

We could possibly have moved either Buhrer or Brown into the centres (replace either of those two with Liam Knight) and put Turbo on as fullback. I'm not saying this would have been ideal but perhaps it may have been wiser than playing a bloke who is obviously struggling with chronic injuries.

And that wasn't meant as an insult to Brett.

• Clever
Reactions: lsz
Thanks for opinions. @susan sadly I do understand that Toovey's ousting was at the hands of players. None of those players will ever be remotely what Toovey was and still is to our club. Toovey is what a legend really is and he continues to be.
As for Snake if he doesn't/isn't able to fix whatever's wrong physically/mentally I support the views that he needs to retire at the end of the year.
I'd love to see a just a little more magic before lights out.

He went OK yesterday, tried hard, but fair dinkum he is worlds away from his true/past form. When was the last time he made a break or was in the clear at full speed? Can't even remember his last try.
Hope he turns it around....very, very sad the past 12 months

Felt the lack of effort and lack of appetite for any contact was still there yesterday. Yes bit better than previous weeks but that's not saying much. When young Cleary strolled through he was 98% to score I know...but you always see the last man throw an arm at the ball and try to dislodge it over the line....Stewart just let him stroll over. Only a small thing but to me symptomatic of where he is at these days. First option is always self preservation.

It's tough for Barrett dropping a club legend, but on form its looking like the only call if this goes on much longer.
Yes he is a Manly legend but he has got to be up to first grade standard

Thanks for opinions. @susan sadly I do understand that Toovey's ousting was at the hands of players. None of those players will ever be remotely what Toovey was and still is to our club. Toovey is what a legend really is and he continues to be.
As for Snake if he doesn't/isn't able to fix whatever's wrong physically/mentally I support the views that he needs to retire at the end of the year.

We'd all love to see the magic but sadly I think it's gone, as @Technical Coach rightly said there's not the support players he needs there today, and unlikely to be there next year.

Plus no doubt his injury is worse than we think.

Anybody who wants to have a go. I don't care about making the 8 this season. I want to focus on reclaiming our culture. I would happily accept a wooden spoon if it meant putting out 17 men with a willingness to invest their heart and soul into their team mates. 17 men who loved their footy and fully appreciated the opportunity to play the game.

I think we all would like to see that magic Nicci. I wouldn't be on his case so much except for the fact that this is such an important time for the club. To deny Tom a spot at fullback then denies a chance for a young Manly player/recruit at centre as Tom must play somewhere. Just pushes a rebuild out further to cater for a great player sadly out of form.

I think we all would like to see that magic Nicci. I wouldn't be on his case so much except for the fact that this is such an important time for the club. To deny Tom a spot at fullback then denies a chance for a young Manly player/recruit at centre as Tom must play somewhere. Just pushes a rebuild out further to cater for a great player sadly out of form.
I appreciate your posts because you make sense. And I can't wait to see the evolution of young Tom. Apart from a star in the making he also seems very humble despite all the predictions about his future. A great quality if he stays this way.

Some of the greats have been lucky enough to play the last few years of their careers in strong teams where they can afford to be off the pace and their drop in form is less obvious.
Snake, after playing just about his whole career as part of a well structured top 6 team, is unfortunately (for him and us!) having to finish his career during our rebuilding faze where he needs to be at career best form to make an impact.
So maybe that's why his attitude is ****. He knows he can't deliver what's being expected of him.

It is surely all of the above with Brett, namely: 1. Injuries that are chronic 2. Not being fed quality ball, both 1 & 2 are pushing him towards 3. lack of confidence and interest 4. Getting older / self preservation 5. not that popular with new team members 6. the game has evolved away from him. Therefore 2 things should happen cause its time they did: a) Brett Stewart should announce his retirement now for year's end and b) he should be rested regardless of team stability, until he is fully able to challenge his hammies, for the "last hurrah" even if its only for 3 rounds because he simply cannot finish his time in the NRL like this.

look at what NSW cup did to T-REX, im sure it will work for snake. and if it doesnt it was the right choice to send him there, u get what u deserve,
the team needs him now and he is just not up to it.

not only is he behind on attack but is defense is dismal. go to NSW cup and proove your better.

look at what NSW cup did to T-REX, im sure it will work for snake. and if it doesnt it was the right choice to send him there, u get what u deserve,
the team needs him now and he is just not up to it.

not only is he behind on attack but is defense is dismal. go to NSW cup and proove your better.
Pull him out due to injury , he doesn't deserve the indignity of being dropped to reserve grade, he's surely earned that right over the years.
He will be eventually judged by his teammates if he's not performing to his full capacity.

Pull him out due to injury , he doesn't deserve the indignity of being dropped to reserve grade, he's surely earned that right over the years.
He will be eventually judged by his teammates if he's not performing to his full capacity.
Snake is a professional, his performance is reserve grade standard at best.

The only indignity is the one being felt by the paying Manly Fans, when he watches kicks bounce or makes a feeble attempt at tackling.:mad:

Obviously the Prince of Brookvale, the Marquis de Manly Vale is playing injured and is probably 50% fit. I suspect knee problems as well as chronic hammies. He needs time - probably weeks and weeks, to get to, say, 85% match fitness. On the other hand, the club are paying him $54.2 k / month to play, presumably as Fullback for Manly.

Long term damage
to his legs, knees, hammies or any other aspects, would no longer be the club's concern as we can all see, that unless there is a sudden turnaround, this will be his last year. ie There will be no long term.
Therefore the club are playing him to extract value and for the sake of 'team combination' because he still helps with backline attack and is still 'safe at the back', albeit as long as he anticipates where the ball is gonna be, which he does do, nearly all of the time.
But continuing to play him in these circumstances, (although he would be willing because he is still 'Manly') is actually an indication of disrespect to Brett. Tommy T could easily fill in at FB. After these 13 yrs at the top, his 163 tries, two premierships, WCC's etc etc (minus the 2 seasons where he virtually did not play), the Club owe him a dignified and respectful end to his Manly days. That is why Trent Barrett, who is a beginner, MUST REST Snake until he is fit.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4