Steve Matai is ready to rumble the Storm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matai is the man! In fact, both our centres are made of some very tough stuff.

On a side note, I almost decked Travis Burns's Uncle up here once. He is an animal scientist with the DAFF (formerly DEEDI, formerly DPI). Anyway, to make a long story short, he is always quick to tell me what a low dog Watmough is. Fair dinkum?? He goes on and on about his past, but concentrates solely on the negative stuff.

I think a lot of people out there confuse grubbiness and toughness. It's very simple. Our blokes don't pull hair, grab blokes by the nuts, eye gouge or king hit. Therefore, they are just plain tough!! Deal with it!!

If we had a team of 13 Matais, Manly would be invincible :angel:

Stevie has the speed, the sidestep and the one drop shot tackling style. But above all, his mental strength to play with excrutiating pain - awe inspiring man :exclamation:

Last GF, moments after having onfield attention to re attach his right wrist, he wiped out Guerra with a Matai tackle :)

When Shillo knocked him out at Brookie last year, as he came back to consciousness, his first word to Matty was ' who was it?' :p

Stevie has the best smile, especially as he senses a try, the glee of a five year old :)

Matai is Manly :angel:

Note to Stevie for the Scumos game :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj8_wr1uP7g

Matai must mean STOP in Polynesian :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBW8MWtLDws

Steve Matai would have to be the most underrated centre in the NRL by the media.

No centre likes playing against him and many are scared, he makes huge yards from dummy half and scores plenty.

According to the stats (and I don't know who does the tally) he has the second worst defensive record of a centre for missed tackles! Maybe they are missing 'Big Hits', which account for at least 30% of his tackles that rattle the opposition, slow the play the ball and turn over possesion (nope they don't count that!).

I wouldn't swap Steve Matai for any other centre in the competition other than maybe Jamie Lyon, and then I'd have to consider it because Jamie naturally plays on the right side, so you would be playing him out of position.

If Steve Matai has a small and I mean minor problem, it's that he doesn't quite have the ability that Killer has to set up a try for his outside man. Yes, I know Jorge was the equal try scorer, but how many passes from Steve resulted in tries? But, is it a weakness...? No! it simply means that Steve attracts the defence allowing Jorge and outside players more space for Foz to float those lovely long cut out passes and a free run to the corner.

We all saw it in last year's grand final when we completely dominated the Roosters backline on both sides and it took just a mere lapse of concentration in mid field and a poor ref's decision to take the game away from us. Our backs completely dominated the Roosters and even Wolfie's couple of poor decisions did not override the dominance.

I hope we some day bottle whatever it is that makes up his game day mongrel. He's the type of player no coach would turn down if on offer. Leaves nothing in his kit bag and takes it all on the field.
Off the field he is the complete opposite, my son's hero, always makes time for a friendly and genuine chat (if the time and place is of course allowing it) whenever i take him to a game or event. As he has grown the last few years, im starting to wear the odd bruise from his backyard 'stevie charges' as he calls them. the little bugger even has the fall down and grab shoulder move downpat... i think "oh oh he's hurt" but the bugger grabs the ball the second i drop my guard and runs in a cheeky backyard try in. "Tricked ya!"
can't get mad at him for that!

mozgrame said:

On a side note, I almost decked Travis Burns's Uncle up here once. He is an animal scientist with the DAFF (formerly DEEDI, formerly DPI). Anyway, to make a long story short, he is always quick to tell me what a low dog Watmough is. Fair dinkum?? He goes on and on about his past, but concentrates solely on the negative stuff.

I think a lot of people out there confuse grubbiness and toughness. It's very simple. Our blokes don't pull hair, grab blokes by the nuts, eye gouge or king hit. Therefore, they are just plain tough!! Deal with it!!
Should have decked him-must be a tool

ALinda said:
Good on you.

I thought you were going to say 'I want that guy.' LOL Me thinks perfectly understandable :heart:
Well a little cuddle might be nice. ;) When it's Hug a Sea Eagle Day, I'll be in Stevie's line.

niccipops said:
ALinda said:
Good on you.

I thought you were going to say 'I want that guy.' LOL Me thinks perfectly understandable :heart:
Well a little cuddle might be nice. ;) When it's Hug a Sea Eagle Day, I'll be in Stevie's line.

That's it - and me too :)

mozgrame said:

I probably would have decked him.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4