The Kieran Forum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How long will Foran last?

• 1 month

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • 2months

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • 3months

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • 4months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 5months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Has the best season since 2011

Votes: 42 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
According to Paul Kent the NRL can't register it as it has the third party agreements payable by the club which is not permitted under the salary cap.

I wonder if the registration of the contract makes the deal vaild? Or Foran could argue that there was an agreement and it was up to Parra to make sure it was registered?

Either way what a mess. Makes Kelly look like a gun

What was stunning was his return to form against the Tigers.

You know he's been troubled and he's also close to matai. I think the promise of a new coach has changed the environment.

I don't know what toovey has done but he lost some of the players. In any case the team is looking very strong for 2016 and now the anger has subsided .... But most importantly he had seen watmough - the ghost of Xmas future and thought nah.

Brisbane would keep both halves. Who wouldn't want milford and hunt as your two halves. But I bet they are only registered with the nrl for 300-500k at the broncos and are mostly made up of third party deals. Adam Reynolds signed with souths for about 500k a year yeah? But again there will be some nice 3rd party deals from packer.

If Foz will stay for that sort of dosh guaranteed. Fine.

Do we have that sort of corporate nous at the club without Arko?

But we can not spend 2.5 mill of our cap space on 2 players a year.

We have to get smarter with the salary cap and million dollar men is not that.

Players like the Turbo brothers will just go else where when we just can't afford to go close to offering what others throw at them.

Third party deals or bust Foz.

Surely not, given our forward pack on the way plus greg bird but given who there trying to get rid of mason, mateo, hasson, horo, Luke burgess, who knows.
How did parra **** this up. What a pathetic club.

Geez there's going to some major supporter backflipping on here if we do keep him.

The thing is - most of us would have been happy for him to piss off if he was going to continue playing like he did from August 2014 to June 2015... but his performance last week against the Tigers shows that he is still a high quality player.

I was happy to see depressed and woeful Foz leave, but I'd happily see 2011 Foz stay.

im starting to think Foran played like he did against the Tigers, because he is possibly now thinking he will stay here. He was the Keiran of old... apparently all this fiasco with parra started 3 weeks ago, from what im hearing. ??????? Intresting times

This keeps on getting better! http://m.smh.com.au/x/ghvndb?stb=twt

Hoppa could be next hahahahaha.

I love how the players expect that these TPA's bear no relation to their on field performance. By any stretch of the imagination Whoppas return to the NRL has been underwhelming to say the least. I'm guessing that a few of these TPA companies haven't quite got the bang for their buck that they were expecting.

I wonder if the registration of the contract makes the deal vaild? Or Foran could argue that there was an agreement and it was up to Parra to make sure it was registered?

Either way what a mess. Makes Kelly look like a gun

Good question. I think it would be highly likely to have been dealt with in the drafting of the contract itself (the clubs probably have bog standard versions of these): i.e, the parties would agree that it is an essential precondition for the contract to be operative for it to be registered by the NRL first. There would also be lots of provisions dealing with termination.

If not, there is something called the doctrine of frustration in contract law which will bring a contract to an end if the subject matter of it cannot be performed. If the bloke can't turn out to play for the club, you'd think that would apply.

Still, even if brought to an end that way (or by breach or repudiation) it wouldn't mean one party or the other couldn't still have a claim for damages. Who knows what these two clauses really said and whether Foran could try and make a claim, but I think it very unlikely he would, for lots of reasons.

I have to say, accepting it is speculation without having seen it, but it defies credulity that someone could have included a "you may leave if there is political turmoil" clause in a contract, and not only that, but if you walk, you can take a $mil. I cannot think of any phrasing that could meaningfully be understood to give effect to such a clause. An "if the coach is sacked" clause is easy to understand, but "political turmoil"? It seems a one way gift to Foran of the most extraordinary kind. The conclusions anyone can draw then about competency (or perhaps desperation) of those involved seems rather obvious. It just makes me wonder if the reports can be correct it seems so far fetched. But here are the Eels board acknowledging that they wish to renegotiate because apparently their former CEO agreed those provision.

"Wow" as Gus might say. Or perhaps, "epic fail", as my 9 yr old would say.

I actually feel sorry for Watmough. He had a great reputation at Manly but he has severity damaged his reputation.
If he had the time over again I'm sure he would make a different descion.
There is still time for Foran not to make the same mistake.

Listening to Paul Kent the original 4.8 million dollar contract that Foran signed had the 3rd party agreements to be payable by the eels which as anyone knows is not permitted under the salary cap so the contract couldn't ever be registered. This was the contract which had the million dollar get out clauses etc.

In all my days I have never heard of anything like this. So the eels actually took Foran off the market with an "illegal" contract. The eels will be lucky if they don't have to pay damages over this.
Why haven't the press picked up on the TPAs being included in Foran's contract with Parra? TPAs are not TPAs if they are between the club and the player. They are salary cap.

I now don't buy Parra's claims of a Rogue CEO, with a draft contract and a signed contract being sent to the NRL. I now don't necessarily buy the claim that the Parra board were in the dark. I smell a rat.

Seems more likely that there were two contracts - a la Storm. One intended for NRL eyes, and then the real contract. Perhaps the real one was sent to the NRL in error? With the subsequent sacking/resignation as damage control.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8