Today's Worm Castings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I personally think Barrett is more like Plan C than Plan B.

Plans A and B were (in no particular order)......Des and the Dalai. Its no secret that the Penn's wanted Des back at the helm (and probably still do with plans to try and make it happen in the future). When they couldn't get him they then wanted Arthur for reasons only explained as moments of insanity. However, that wasn't going to happen either unless the Speels sacked him and that hasn't happened......yet.

That left Barrett. Don't get me wrong, I'll support him as long as he does the right thing by the club (and because I simply don't want Manly losing games regardless who's the coach). But I do think that he was basically the 3rd choice. And it shows that Tooves didn't stand a chance of keeping his job when the Penn's are prepared to replace him with an untried coach. Ok, he's coached Country....but that's hardly like being a club coach. And he did coach the Penrith U/20's in 2014.....to 9th place. But he does come highly recommended by Bozo and Phil Gould.

I guess we'll see how he goes.

Last edited:
I personally think Barrett is more like Plan C than Plan B.

Plans A and B were (in no particular order)......Des and the Dalai. Its no secret that the Penn's wanted Des back at the helm (and probably still do with plans to try and make it happen in the future). When they couldn't get him they then wanted Arthur for reasons only explained as moments of insanity. However, that wasn't going to happen either unless the Speels sacked him and that hasn't happened......yet.

That left Barrett. Don't get me wrong, I'll support him as long as he does the right thing by the club (and because I simply don't want Manly losing games regardless who's the coach). But I do think that he was basically the 3rd choice. And it shows that Tooves didn't stand a chance of keeping his job when the Penn's are prepared to replace him with an untried coach. Ok, he's coached Country....but that's hardly like being a club coach. And he did coach the Penrith U/20's in 2014.....to 9th place. But he does come highly recommended by Bozo and Phil Gould.

I guess we'll see how he goes.
If Hasler is the end game then why did they sign Barrett for three years when Des's contract ends next season. If that was their end game surely they would have put in some smuck on a 12 months trial.

Were many fans unhappy when

1 Toovey got chucked into the job in 2012
2 Toovey led the team to the 2013 Grand Final.
3 Toovey's 2014 team lost the minor premiership on for and against.
4 Toovey got the team off the canvas after being decimated by injury and off field dramas.

Tell me again why he was sacked, but just give me the truth not the bull****.
I think the reasons why Toovs got the chop were:
1. Marquee players unhappy. One openly saying he wanted to play under another coach to bring out his best, another saying its good to play for someone again, and another clearly shopping around a new contract.
2. The flop end to the 2014 season and the disharmony since Gifty was not offered a contract.
3. Aligned to the opposing faction (Quantum).

I think this is pretty clear.

And really Point 3 is the only one that matters but no one will say it out loud.

BTW I disagree with Point 2, we were beaten by 1 point by the team that made the GF in our semi final, where Justin Horo was the starting hooker.

I think the reasons why Toovs got the chop were:
1. Marquee players unhappy. One openly saying he wanted to play under another coach to bring out his best, another saying its good to play for someone again, and another clearly shopping around a new contract.
2. The flop end to the 2014 season and the disharmony since Gifty was not offered a contract.
3. Aligned to the opposing faction (Quantum).

I think this is pretty clear.
I don't disagree Weev, but if our position on the table had been the same as last season they would not have had a good excuse to do it. Be it injuries, attitude or otherwise, it still came down to our position on the ladder and six weeks ago we were spoon favourites.

If Hasler is the end game then why did they sign Barrett for three years when Des's contract ends next season. If that was their end game surely they would have put in some smuck on a 12 months trial.

Ha$ler IS the end game, Barrett will be collateral damage when they sign him, and if they can't convince De$ then he'll do!!

Weidler said...They bought a mess under the previous management and were constantly bashed up in the board room via a 4-on-3 gang-up because of an alliance between the former part-owners Quantum and the District Football Club, which has two spots via a shareholders' agreement when the club was privatised.

OMFG! This is the way boards operate! A course of action is proposed and it is put to the vote. The majority decision is acted upon. Sounds to me like the Penns are just damned sore losers. If the DRLFC aligned with Quantum, there must have been a reason!!! Maybe the Penns are predisposed to doing stupid things?
After all, this isn't Weight Watchers!!!

Last edited:
OMFG! This is the way boards operate! A course of action is proposed and it is put to the vote. The majority decision is acted upon. Sounds to me like the Penns are just damned sore losers. If the DRLFC aligned with Quantum, there must have been a reason!!! Maybe the Penns are predisposed to doing stupid things?
After all, this isn't Weight Watchers!!!
You mean the sort of stupid thing like not offering Gift any sort of contract, you know, like Quantum & the FC did or should I say didn't do together.

Ralphie,
I am not privy to the machinations of the MWSE board.
I don't know what happened re Gifty contract.
If it was 4 to 3 regarding his contract then it was 4 to 3. That is history. Good or bad, it was 4 to 3.
All of the factions had their reasons for voting the way they did.
Note that now it is 5 to 2. The Penns will always get their way. They have a legitimate right to screw up what once was a proud club.
What I am saying is that the Penns are sore losers and hold a grudge, with possible detriment to the company (not club).

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: Rex
Reads like its Zorba verse after verse. LOL sorry bloke the more you have to say how the Penns done A and B out of respect. The more we know they are terrible people. Time to work on a new yarn old boy.

I seriously doubt the retention and recruitment of players goes to a board vote, even for club legends like Gift. We'll never know who wanted to keep him and who didn't, we'll only ever hear what supports agendas.

I seriously doubt the retention and recruitment of players goes to a board vote, even for club legends like Gift. We'll never know who wanted to keep him and who didn't, we'll only ever hear what supports agendas.
Unlike when Max wanted Mona's.

It goes to the board for the final go ahead but it's a done deal once the retention / recruitment management have already approved it. Under Dave Warwick who was in charge of recruitment. CEO Perry at the time, Warwick, Gigg and Toovey made up the retention committee. My close understanding was none of them wanting Glen Stewart to stay. There was never even a chat / hello can we get together have a talk etc or an offer for Glen after all his time at the club and because of this, their time at the club was going to eventually come to an end

Toovey was part of the retention committee who made the decision not to retain Gifty, I'd be very surprised if there was no discussion at the time , it was well reported back then that Gifty wanted about $650k and two years, Manly couldn't fit him in and no offer was made.

I think every member of that retention committee has been or will be sacked ( although I don't know about Dave Warwick), so ZtH certainly has had his revenge.

There was great media discussion about the supposed vote at board but I also remember the then FG chairman said " there was no vote recorded in the minutes".

There's no doubt this is the major reason 2V won't be with us in 2016.

We have more twists than an Agatha Christie novel...
Is it possible that Toovey did not agree with the retention committee decision, but as a team player, which he is, he accepted a majority decision? The retention committee is certainly the place where these decisions should be made. Maybe there was no need for a vote at board level. Not every CEO decision has to be ratified at a board meeting.
I reiterate that Penn had a dummy spit because he didn't like the decision.

Toovey was part of the retention committee who made the decision not to retain Gifty, I'd be very surprised if there was no discussion at the time , it was well reported back then that Gifty wanted about $650k and two years, Manly couldn't fit him in and no offer was made.

I think every member of that retention committee has been or will be sacked ( although I don't know about Dave Warwick), so ZtH certainly has had his revenge.

There was great media discussion about the supposed vote at board but I also remember the then FG chairman said " there was no vote recorded in the minutes".

There's no doubt this is the major reason 2V won't be with us in 2016.

Dave Warwick has gone. I had a lot of experience knowing Warwick over 10 years and I am happy he is gone and so are a lot of people

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6