• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not a trial but the scrimmage, some feedback

They can win the comp’: Flanagan’s bold Manly call after Turbo-charged trial​

February 2, 2024 — 3.45pm

St George Illawarra coach Shane Flanagan watched Tom Trbojevic in the opening 20 minutes of a scrimmage and later declared: “I think Manly can win the comp.”
“Tom was brilliant, I was standing behind it all, and if they can keep him fit, he’s just so dangerous,” Flanagan said.

He takes on the short side, if he doesn’t like what he sees on short side, he doubles back and takes it up like a big front-rower.
“I’ve seen what Tom can do first hand, we saw what he did today, and with Tom fit and strong, which he is at the moment, he’s such a good player.

“He makes his halves better, his forwards better, he’s a super player. He just gets it. Defensively he’s good, he can count numbers. If they keep him on the field, they’ve got a footy team.”
Just as they did last year, Manly and the Dragons locked horns in the heat a week a couple of weeks before the trials officially begin.
Turbo tough: Tom Trbojevic looks set for a big start to the year for Manly.

Turbo tough: Tom Trbojevic looks set for a big start to the year for Manly.CREDIT: BROOK MITCHELL/SMH
Flanagan, overseeing the Dragons in his first year as head coach after being an assistant at Manly, was heard yelling at his players after a couple of minutes: “Get in and f--king tackle, it’s not touch”.
Trbojevic missed the back half of last year with a pectoral injury he suffered in Origin I in Adelaide. The previous year he dislocated his shoulder, but in 2021 clinched the Dally M Medal.

He scored the first try on a humid morning at 4 Pines Park, then combined well with Nathan Brown through the middle for his second.
The Sea Eagles and Dragons met in a scrimmage at 4 Pines Park on Friday morning.

The Sea Eagles and Dragons met in a scrimmage at 4 Pines Park

Sea Eagles coach Anthony Seibold now plans to keep Trbojevic, his brother Jake and skipper Daly Cherry-Evans on ice until round zero in Las Vegas against South Sydney.
Told about Flanagan’s bold premiership call, Seibold said: “He might be trying to put some pressure on us, it might have been a tongue-in-cheek comment. Who knows?
“I know Tommy is one of the best players in the competition – everyone knows that.

“You need an ounce of luck, you need your best players playing, and you need to play consistent footy.

“We fly a couple of days after the first official trial and what we don’t want to do is put anyone at risk who has already solidified their spot in the team. Players like ‘Chez’ [Cherry-Evans] and Tom and Jake won’t play the trials.”
Luke Brooks came on after 20 minutes, Josh Schuster did not feature in the trial and has battled a calf strain while on the comeback trail from a finger injury, but Seibold expected him to play some minutes in the main trial against the Sydney Roosters in a fortnight.
Schuster and Ben Trbojevic are expected to duke it out for the left-edge position, while several Sea Eagles players raved about the pre-season right-edge back-rower Haumole Olakau’atu, almost unrecognisable with a new short haircut, has enjoyed.
Advertisement

For the Dragons, Tyrell Sloan started at fullback with Zac Lomax on the right wing, before Lomax spent time at the back and at right centre.
Teen rookie Dylan Egan remains an outside chance of starting in round one in the back row, with Tom Eisenhuth and Raymond Faitala-Mariner, who only joined the club this week, to press their own claims later in the trials.
Former Bulldogs and Wests Tigers playmaker Brandon Wakeham was spotted in Manly colours after landing a NSW Cup deal with feeder club Blacktown.

Good move keeping Turbo and DCE on ice till the Vegas game. I'd have Croker and Jake on ice also, plenty of tackling coming up for these two.
Jake's on ice too. Article in post #27 above includes from Seibold “We fly a couple of days after the first official trial and what we don’t want to do is put anyone at risk who has already solidified their spot in the team. Players like ‘Chez’ [Cherry-Evans] and Tom and Jake won’t play the trials.”

Sorry wait. So who will be playing in the second week of the official trials.

I noticed the 4 teams going away are playing each other.

I was actually looking forward to seeing the broncos as Brookie. But that game might be reserve game.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8